U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 02:18 PM

4,835 posts, read 4,925,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Names annoy me when you can tell there is obviously no thought that went into it.

For example, it seemed like every girl born in 2008 was named "Bella". Suddenly it was no shock the mother was a "Twilight" fan. Or there was every Hispanic girl born in 1995 named "Selena".

Also when you havent given ANY thought to the fact that your child has to grow up with the name you "so cleverly" gave them.
My name is atrocious. Like really atrocious. My father is from Brazil... He named me after my Brazilian grandmother, my first name is Brazilian Indian. My middle name is Italian (I was named after my American grandmother who is Italian) and my last name is Portuguese. I HATE IT. I can't put in words how much I hate my name. People have a hard time pronouncing it and they always ask me if they pronounced it right. I correct them if they're wrong and all I hear "oh that's such a pretty name!". My blood boils. I have a nickname for a first name which I like. (Jessie).

When I found out I was pregnant with a girl I vowed to give her a more normal name. Something people can pronounce. So I named her Katherine Taylor (first and middle). If I ever have more kids they will get traditional names. I don't need to give my kid a trendy/cool name. I won't punish them. Because I know how much it sucks to have an awful name you hate every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 02:27 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,453,140 times
Ursula, Hortense,

Old 11-17-2013, 02:45 PM

19,116 posts, read 27,217,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwumavs View Post
Anna and Katherine have never died off in the way that Linda, Sharon, and Deborah did.

Neither has Margaret really, though it definitely isn't as popular as it used to be. Margarets tend to go by "Maggie" these days.
My Grandmother's name is Margaret and she's always gone by Peggy, which I LOVE.

I have a fairly common name but it's spelled a little weird and honestly, I think it flows better than the 'normal' spelling which I find ugly.

If I were to have a daughter, I'd go with Bernadette. I just love the nicknames Bernie or Dita.

I don't really have any names I actively dislike.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:59 PM

42,717 posts, read 45,443,970 times
Hmmm I have to agree with the other poster who dislikes made up names.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:56 PM

537 posts, read 639,625 times
Bertha {cringe-shudder}

Old 11-17-2013, 04:13 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,558,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
My name is atrocious. Like really atrocious. My father is from Brazil... He named me after my Brazilian grandmother, my first name is Brazilian Indian. My middle name is Italian (I was named after my American grandmother who is Italian) and my last name is Portuguese. I HATE IT. I can't put in words how much I hate my name. People have a hard time pronouncing it and they always ask me if they pronounced it right. I correct them if they're wrong and all I hear "oh that's such a pretty name!". My blood boils. I have a nickname for a first name which I like. (Jessie).

When I found out I was pregnant with a girl I vowed to give her a more normal name. Something people can pronounce. So I named her Katherine Taylor (first and middle). If I ever have more kids they will get traditional names. I don't need to give my kid a trendy/cool name. I won't punish them. Because I know how much it sucks to have an awful name you hate every day.
Those are nice names. I like the combo

Old 11-17-2013, 04:39 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,502,370 times
It all depends on where you live and the culture with which you are surrounded. Most of the OP's "liked" names will be out of place in the USA and most of her "disliked" ones are fine here. In other countries, not so much!

My mother used saints' names for her children, I used names I liked, my grandchildren are named after older relatives.

I really hate the made-up ones like "Moon Unit" or "Dweezil" or whatever.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:57 PM

324 posts, read 377,630 times
I like to name my son David ...Hmm such a great name

Old 11-17-2013, 05:12 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,731,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdav View Post
I like to name my son David ...Hmm such a great name
Just keep him humble, and don't put "Super" in front of it.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:16 PM

2,291 posts, read 5,062,637 times
I had a friend that named one son Harry (Not Harold) and another Dickey (Not Richard)....wondered what they were thinking. I also can't fathom why kids are named after their parents generation after generation, especially true with boys, some of the most god awful names are repeated over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty