U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 08:46 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,337,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
I did not know there were randos in the world who disliked names other people picked for their children.
What does rando mean? It sounds like a cool name for a dog with a red bandana.

Quote:
Very fu**ing respectful.
Is that language respectful? The thread is harmless & about names. Find another if it upsets you. Lighten up, DDude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 08:50 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,786,591 times
There are many, many names that I dislike.... but I won't bother to list them all here.

I forget how old I was when I started to dislike my first name, but I know by high school I was starting to toy with the idea of using my middle name.

In my early 20's, one night I had a dream in which I changed my name to my middle name. I woke up the next morning, went to work (a new job I had only been at for a week), and told them I was now using my middle name.

And I have never looked back. I truly love my middle name, and truly loathe my first name. I am so thankful my parents at least gave me one that I like.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:56 PM

4,728 posts, read 4,578,389 times
I love my name because I know what it meant to my family. I think giving kids names that are important to you makes them feel important too.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:38 PM

4,279 posts, read 3,272,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
OLd-fashioned sounding names are making a comeback, I have noticed.
I'll believe it when I come across a young person named Bertha.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:39 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,535,663 times
Names and what they mean only matter for those within your family. Your personality as a human being is what matters a lot in the outside world.

My full name is Adithya, which in Sanskrit means sunshine. Does it mean that I look sparkling handsome or am a source of brilliance. Of course not. I am a normal college student like most others out there who want to successfully complete their undergraduate degree.

My mom thinks I look nice and am intelligent, but most other people out there think differently. I am sure that nobody else out there thinks I actually look "nice" when I am 32 pounds overweight. Although, a number of people have said that I am quite nerdy, its due to hard work day and night to learn the necessary course material. I don't possess any source of brilliance.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:59 PM

14,680 posts, read 6,470,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
OLd-fashioned sounding names are making a comeback, I have noticed.
Good! I'm getting sick of these new names.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:08 PM

689 posts, read 1,270,069 times
I was at a pumpkin patch last month and there was a little girl (4ish) named Betty. I don't dislike the name, but can't help thinking of the Rubbles.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:15 PM

4,425 posts, read 3,353,586 times
I don't like really old-fashioned names like Viola, Myrtle, Hedwige, Ernestine, Bertha, Uma, Hortense, Beatrice, Millicent, Eunice, Amelia, Gertrude, Hildegarde, Lorna, Henrietta, Ursula, Brunhilda. I had a classmate in elementary school whose name was Brunhilda!

Nor do I like Ernest, Herbert, Horace, Julius, Naphtali, Mortimer, Herman.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:18 PM

37,222 posts, read 43,430,711 times
My grandma is Betty. I like the name, always have, but Mad Men/Betty Draper took it out of the running for me. My future mother-in-law is Frances, and I do like it...it's sweet, old-fashioned, and gentle-sounding.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:21 PM

537 posts, read 638,387 times
Maybe it's just the luck of the draw, but every female I've met in the past few years named AMY has been very sweet, pretty, and feminine. I consider that to be an old school name, but I like it. Also fond of Sara/Sarah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty