Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:56 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times

Advertisements

I like some traditional and some unusual names. My favorite name is Emily, and my least favorite name would be Hanna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 08:11 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Some will also disagree, but I find it awkward when names are a mismatch of cultures. I grew up with a kid named Padraig (one of the Irish Gaelic spellings of Patrick) Juan Silverstein, no joke. Granted, his mom was Latina and his stepdad Jewish, but his mom just picked the first name from a Celtic bodice-ripper she was reading.

Actors that come to mind with mismatched ethnic names off the top of my head include Pablo Schreiber and Shia LeBeouf. I know they're multi-ethnic, but the OCD in me likes keeping with a theme. Also, as a person born with one of the most common, bland, super-Anglo, white bread of last names, I always felt like people with more interesting-sounding (read: non-Anglo-sounding) names were lucky.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:13 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
I like traditional names, and some old fashioned ones as well. Spelled correctly, please. It makes me laugh when someone takes a common name and adds their own "unique" spelling, so it is impossible to recognize. I also really dislike the names a lot of celebrities have named their kids: North, Apple, Suri, etc. Christie Brinkley named her daughter Sailor. Ugh.

Since moving down south, I've noticed a lot of male names that are just weird. Why would anyone name their kid Hunter? Archer? Gunner?

Old 11-17-2013, 08:16 AM

427 posts, read 947,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Anything that ends in a -bert.

Albert. Philbert. Norbert. etc
Q-Bert.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
For girls, McKenzie is by far the worst IMO. Hope, Destiny, Faith, Quinn, Molly, Claire, Madeleine, Katelyn, Abigail, Jenna, Heather, Cathy, Caitlyn, Hannah, Grace, Demi, Katie, Chloe, Gertrude, Margot, Olga, Bertha, Bridget, and anything that ends in -lynn.

For guys, Caleb is the worst, followed by Jayden, Brayden, Ayden, Caden, Sladen, Kaden, Rayden, Skyler, Tanner, and Logan.

On the flip side, I think Penelope, Sofia, Olivia, Sveta, Yesenia, Yelena, Yasmin, Yardenia, Izabela, Natalia, Kseniya, Graciela, Consuela, Marisol, Soledad, and Ariana are beautiful names.

For guys, I love names Maksim, Andrei, Ismael, Tyshawn, Aleksei, Salvador, Miguel, Bautista, Cristobal, Volodya, Vitaly, Fernando, Yaroslav, Miroslav, Nikolai, Gabriel, and Andres.
Just reverse your lists for me.

Madeleine and Margot are beautiful names.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I like traditional names, and some old fashioned ones as well. Spelled correctly, please. It makes me laugh when someone takes a common name and adds their own "unique" spelling, so it is impossible to recognize. I also really dislike the names a lot of celebrities have named their kids: North, Apple, Suri, etc. Christie Brinkley named her daughter Sailor. Ugh.

Since moving down south, I've noticed a lot of male names that are just weird. Why would anyone name their kid Hunter? Archer? Gunner?
The answer should be obvious. Because they hunt.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:39 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,637 times
For guys, I like the name 'Prof. Bend Over'..sorry Ben Dover

Old 11-17-2013, 08:40 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,021 times
Very rarely a name itself is unattractive. Man behind it could be at some cases.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:02 AM

231 posts, read 390,576 times
Just imagine - in about 50 years, everyone's 'elderly grandmother' will be named Brittney, Heather, Tiffany and Amber.
Perhaps by that time all the little girls with be named Maude, Ethel, Edith, Leticia or Margaret.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:10 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I personally know three Annabelles - very popular name right now!
Thank Goodness for that!

Here's some names I NEVER hear anymore: Linda, Sharon, Debra, Margaret, Denise.

I'm guessing they are currently out of favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty