Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 05:33 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,652,823 times

Advertisements

I can't stand the name Chloe.
Also names that end in ayden-but Aiden is fine with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 05:33 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,964,690 times
The worst is the Spanish name "Usnavy" pronounced oos-nah-bee not US Navy.

But I also don't like those names ending in "ayden" for boys. I thought it was just me who felt that way.

I also don't like very common names or people that name their kids after colors or fruits like "apple" or "blue" I knew some sisters that were named after places like "France" and "America" Her mother suffered from schizophrenia, but I am not sure though if she was already mentally handicapped when she named them.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:51 PM

214 posts, read 300,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
The answer should be obvious. Because they hunt.

I think you'd actually find that for many, Hunter is a family name and has nothing to do with any hobbies or interests the parents may/may not have.

Despite trying to keep an open mind to others naming their child(ren), I admit to inwardly cringing at names like "Crystal" (and the million cutesy variations in spelling), "Messiah", and almost everything that ends in the letter I.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:06 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,639,707 times
Nobody has mentioned the dyslexic, Christian name Nevaeh.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:18 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,887,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I like traditional names, and some old fashioned ones as well. Spelled correctly, please. It makes me laugh when someone takes a common name and adds their own "unique" spelling, so it is impossible to recognize. I also really dislike the names a lot of celebrities have named their kids: North, Apple, Suri, etc. Christie Brinkley named her daughter Sailor. Ugh.

Since moving down south, I've noticed a lot of male names that are just weird. Why would anyone name their kid Hunter? Archer? Gunner?

Archer and Hunter are surnames which one might assume occurred in earlier generations of families. As you note, this naming pattern is quite common in the South, particularly among families who've been around for a while.

I like this custom - there are many examples in my own family - but I very much dislike giving a child a surname (as a first name) which does not occur anywhere in the family tree. All those McKenzies and McKennas and Grandisons and Reagans - who have absolutely no connections whatsoever to the McKenzie, McKenna, Grandison, and Reagan families! Almost all families have interesting, attractive, and perfectly functional surnames in their previous generations - why not use those??

Gunnar is a Scandinavian given name, often misspelled as "Gunner", and it's becoming more popular these days, it seems. There's a "Gunnar" featured on ABC's "Nashville", in fact, who may be inspiring some new parents to give their baby boys this name.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:20 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,887,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperbelle View Post
My list of Ewwww names:

Harry, Larry, Barry, Caleb, Dick, George, Clark, Victor

Susie, Mary, Shirley, Veronica, Pam, Marge
Whatcha got against baby boomers???

Old 11-17-2013, 06:32 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,309,882 times
Bertha is gross. Isn't there some old song about Bertha with the big butt? I think I remember my grandpa singing it.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:33 PM

809 posts, read 1,272,847 times
I did not know there were randos in the world who disliked names other people picked for their children. Very fu**ing respectful.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:37 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,309,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
I did not know there were randos in the world who disliked names other people picked for their children. Very fu**ing respectful.
It doesn't mean you don't like the child. Everyone has personal preferences about everything. That is not disrespectful. Do you like everything in the world? I don't eat pickled pig's feet, but that does not make me disrespectful to the person that does.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:31 PM

207 posts, read 507,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Whatcha got against baby boomers???
Is that what that is? haha...I'm sorry. lol...I'm sure they are very nice people but their names are HIDEOUS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty