Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 10:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

I like classic names. I really dislike trendy names. And I like boy names to sound like boy names and girl names to sound like girl names. I don't like weird spellings of perfectly good names either - why make life difficult for everyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 10:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Half the girls I went to school with in the 80s-90s were Amy or Sara/h. The other half were Jennifer and Jessica.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:18 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My baby boomer mom had about a zillion Lindas as classmates, but it's def not common now. I like Margaret; it was my great aunt's name. Her sister, my grandma, was Marie, which I also love.
My mom's name is Linda and she always had several Lindas in her class. My first name was popular in the 70's (it begins with a D)but not as popular today.

Anyway I hate these names:

Boys
Simon
Seymour
Clyde
Claude
LeRoy

Girls
Shaniqua
Agnes
Mildred
Gertrude
Bertha

Old 11-18-2013, 12:46 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,127,524 times
Beulah

Old 11-18-2013, 02:30 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
My name is atrocious. Like really atrocious. My father is from Brazil... He named me after my Brazilian grandmother, my first name is Brazilian Indian. My middle name is Italian (I was named after my American grandmother who is Italian) and my last name is Portuguese. I HATE IT. I can't put in words how much I hate my name. People have a hard time pronouncing it and they always ask me if they pronounced it right. I correct them if they're wrong and all I hear "oh that's such a pretty name!". My blood boils. I have a nickname for a first name which I like. (Jessie).

When I found out I was pregnant with a girl I vowed to give her a more normal name. Something people can pronounce. So I named her Katherine Taylor (first and middle). If I ever have more kids they will get traditional names. I don't need to give my kid a trendy/cool name. I won't punish them. Because I know how much it sucks to have an awful name you hate every day.
Wow, so you are hispanic? You should not hate your name, people are stupid. They also can't pronounce my last name right either, so don't sweat it. You should not hate your last name, it's who you are and there is nothing wrong with it just because people can't pronounce it. You should be proud that you come from a proud culture and not be embarrassed or upset about anything. I also don't understand why you get mad when they say it's pretty, it probably is and you are just giving yourself a hard time about it for nothing.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:01 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times
I agree with the posters that say it seems as if a personality type follows certain names. Maybe it is in my head, but every Emily I have ever known has been bright and sweet, while I have never liked a Leslie.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:18 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
It is comical to see so many naming their kids Jaden (or Jayden). Jaden is the number "one" in the Czech language!

Old 11-18-2013, 08:42 AM

105 posts, read 246,877 times
I do not like politically and religiously affiliated names for children. It places an unnecessary burden on them because of their parents' choice.

I am not fond of some of the old fashion names such as Bartholomew, Margaret, Bertha, and Leroy. Short and common names such as Joe, Jack, Bill, and Chris are also dull names in my opinion.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:03 AM

38 posts, read 43,119 times
I work in a rather urban part of town, and I find some names to be just ridiculous. Messiah, Queen, and Princess ...really? Syre? Why would you do that to a child? I abhor names like Tamikyshia, ****ina, DaShawn, Jayshawn...and anything that is spelled ridiculously for no reason. I hate it when people use y's instead of i's in a name just because. I just can't imagine suggestively whispering a man's name if it were something like "DeShaunte" or "Ray'vaunte"...just no. lol

For women, it's the "lenes" I hate. Darlene, Lurlene, etc. They sound very white trash to me and it's hard to move past that stereotype.

I was given a rather unique name, and though I like it, I do get judged for having it - I don't think it helps me get jobs, that is for sure!

I also used to know a man named Precious. Yes. Precious.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:37 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
I can't stand trendy names or invented names.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I dislike normal names that are purposefully misspelled to be "different".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty