Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 06:49 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,097,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I like traditional names, and some old fashioned ones as well. Spelled correctly, please. It makes me laugh when someone takes a common name and adds their own "unique" spelling, so it is impossible to recognize. I also really dislike the names a lot of celebrities have named their kids: North, Apple, Suri, etc. Christie Brinkley named her daughter Sailor. Ugh.

Since moving down south, I've noticed a lot of male names that are just weird. Why would anyone name their kid Hunter? Archer? Gunner?
LOL, I know a boy and a girl named Hunter. LOL. My nephew is Hunter and I thought the same thing when my SIL named him. I'm not a fan of the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 06:58 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,765,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There's a woman working at my supermarket named Precious.
I understand how Precious will be made fun of by kids or young adults. Back then in college, I had a friend named Precious which was made fun anytime she introduced herself. This happened after Lord of the Ring movie- the one with Gollum comes out.
Boy / girl : what's your name?
Precious: Precious.
Boy / girl (pretending to be Gollum): My precious.....
I bet she was annoyed since I was myself annoyed seeing new people do that all the time.

I personally think it is a nice name. It has a good meaning. I am sure the parents gave her that name because she is precious. But you know every 18 - 19 years old will make fun of that name...

Old 11-19-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My grandma is Betty. I like the name, always have, but Mad Men/Betty Draper took it out of the running for me. My future mother-in-law is Frances, and I do like it...it's sweet, old-fashioned, and gentle-sounding.
Betty's name in Mad Men is now Betty Francis...your MIL's name is similar to the character's new last name. Sorry, off topic but that's what came to mind when I read your post. =)

Old 11-19-2013, 07:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,829,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
My mom's name is Linda and she always had several Lindas in her class. My first name was popular in the 70's (it begins with a D)but not as popular today.
My mom's name is Linda too.

You know, if you think about it, "Linda" is a very pretty name, but it was so overused for so long that it's worn out. Pity, really.

I don't like the "cowboy" names - I actually know someone who named their two boys Cash and Gage. Come on.

Also, Colton, Shane, Cheyenne, Cody, Cooper, Reno, Wyatt - blech.

I actually knew a woman once who's name was Lady. Think about how stupid and awkward that sounds! I hated even saying her name, "Hey, Lady, can you look over this account?"

Old 11-19-2013, 07:23 AM

Personally, I love older names like Helena, Beatrice, Theresa, Lucille, Desmond, Jacob, Thomas, Sebastian, Monroe.
If I ever have children, I'd probably name them some of the names above. Maybe Theresa Beatrice or Thomas Monroe.

I don't have any strong aversions to any names but I'm not a big fan of rednecky sounding names (I live in Virginia)...such as Barbara-lynn (yes I know someone with that name--they go by BarbieLynn), Bobby Ray, Billy Bob, etc...

I wasn't too big of a fan when my SIL named her son Hunter just because personally I don't like the name. I know a little girl name Hunter and she's the sweetest thing but I wish she'd go by her middle name, Elizabeth.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:55 AM

88,504 posts, read 84,652,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

You know, if you think about it, "Linda" is a very pretty name, but it was so overused for so long that it's worn out. Pity, really.

I don't like the "cowboy" names - I actually know someone who named their two boys Cash and Gage. Come on.

I actually knew a woman once who's name was Lady. Think about how stupid and awkward that sounds! I hated even saying her name, "Hey, Lady, can you look over this account?"
There was a Lady where I work, too. Even worse, there is now one named Heaven-Leigh. I want to slap her mother. If I told you her last name, you would line up behind me to slap her, too.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:57 AM

747 posts, read 1,681,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There was a Lady where I work, too. Even worse, there is now one named Heaven-Leigh. I want to slap her mother. If I told you her last name, you would line up behind me to slap her, too.
I have a feeling I can figure out her last night just based on the first two...and that is kind of bad.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:58 AM

88,504 posts, read 84,652,005 times
Quote:

Quote:
I like classic names. I really dislike trendy names. And I like boy names to sound like boy names and girl names to sound like girl names. I don't like weird spellings of perfectly good names either - why make life difficult for everyone?
Says the poster who is spelling the Queen's name weirdly...

Old 11-19-2013, 08:02 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,532,015 times
My sister's name is Gaelic with the traditional Gaelic spelling (maternal side is from Ireland by way of Scotland), and while people never get it right, she loves it. And she's never had to worry about being one of many in a room...people remember her name.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:05 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,532,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Betty's name in Mad Men is now Betty Francis...your MIL's name is similar to the character's new last name. Sorry, off topic but that's what came to mind when I read your post. =)
Yeah, my interest in Mad Men waned dramatically about two seasons in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty