Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 08:12 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Apparently, being a celebrity predisposes one toward choosing ridiculous names for his/her children. My only thought is: they do it so they'll stay in the news and continue earning mega-bucks. After all, the Kim Kardashians of the world would probably be working minimum-wage-plus-a-few-cents retail jobs were they not constantly paid huge sums of money for windows into their scandalous lives, which all Americans just HAVE to see...
On the other hand, Kim Kardashian certainly had no trouble attaining or maintaining the spotlight despite being saddled with a generic, overused, textbook 80s/90s moniker like Kim/Kimberly, herself (not to mention despite possessing no discernable talent of any kind).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
The original spelling is Gaelic, Sean. Basic name? Not sure what that means, but it translates to John in English... perhaps that's a 'basic' name in some circles?
I would imagine that John and its various ethnic variants are considered a "basic" name in MOST circles. There's a reason that the terminology "John Doe" exists. "John" is a pretty generic masculine name.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:37 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There was a Lady where I work, too. Even worse, there is now one named Heaven-Leigh. I want to slap her mother. If I told you her last name, you would line up behind me to slap her, too.
I know a woman who named her daughter Heavenly, she calls her Heav for short. I hope that child never has a weight problem.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:17 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Some will also disagree, but I find it awkward when names are a mismatch of cultures. I grew up with a kid named Padraig (one of the Irish Gaelic spellings of Patrick) Juan Silverstein, no joke. Granted, his mom was Latina and his stepdad Jewish, but his mom just picked the first name from a Celtic bodice-ripper she was reading.....
My favourite: Tondelayo Goldfarb.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:27 AM

455 posts, read 898,444 times
Male #1 grossest ever:
- Pervis

This is what a Pervis would look like:

Female #1 grossest ever:
- Gertrude

Conjures the following image:

That is all.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
My favourite: Tondelayo Goldfarb.
I have a friend whose name I won't divulge, where it's similar, who describes herself as "a kosher taco."

Old 11-19-2013, 09:32 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
Helga and Olga.

Gertrude is rather ratchet, too.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:50 AM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I understand how Precious will be made fun of by kids or young adults. Back then in college, I had a friend named Precious which was made fun anytime she introduced herself. This happened after Lord of the Ring movie- the one with Gollum comes out.
Boy / girl : what's your name?
Precious: Precious.
Boy / girl (pretending to be Gollum): My precious.....
I bet she was annoyed since I was myself annoyed seeing new people do that all the time.

I personally think it is a nice name. It has a good meaning. I am sure the parents gave her that name because she is precious. But you know every 18 - 19 years old will make fun of that name...
In the contemporary west we're unusual in that we give names that don't really mean anything to us. We choose given names based on what they sound like. In a lot of other cultures and several centuries ago in the west, given names actually meant something. Calling your child Precious would have been completely understandable to a lot of people throughout the ages, but it does sound weird and even uneducated.
I think I will try to name my children while taking into account both the meaning and the sound of the name.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:14 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,401 times
very long foreign names that I have no idea how to pronounce

now I know why some people changed or shortened their family names when they immigrated

Old 11-19-2013, 02:33 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
On the other hand, Kim Kardashian certainly had no trouble attaining or maintaining the spotlight despite being saddled with a generic, overused, textbook 80s/90s moniker like Kim/Kimberly, herself (not to mention despite possessing no discernable talent of any kind).
Kimberly is actually still a fairly popular name. About 2,000 baby girls were named Kimberly in 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty