Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 06:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The OP thinks Soledad is a "beautiful" name for a girl?

He might like the name but how could it ever be considered beautiful for a girl?
bleugrh
Well, I'm as white as the driven snow, but I live in Texas - and consequently I am "exposed" to lots of Hispanic names. I think that Soledad is a gorgeous name. It wouldn't sound too good with some WASP surnames like "Walker" or "Kirkpatrick" or "Smith" but it would sound awesome with the right last name.

Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I don't understand why people consider a certain name because of what it means.

In real life......has anyone ever run to look up the meaning of someone's name to decide whether it is a nice name or not?

People are going to judge a name by how it sounds or what type of cultural connotations it brings up.....not by what it supposedly means.

Seriously, would you name your kid Bertha or Horace because you liked what the name means?
I named my daughter Natalie because it means "Christmas child" and she was born right before Christmas. So there you have it.

Of course, I wouldn't have named her that if I didn't think it was a beautiful name anyway.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What, names like Ethel, Hazel, Viola, Lillian, etc? Some of those are names of women in my family. Not my faves.

LOL one of my granddaughter's is named Lilianne, and I think it is a beautiful name.

Another is named Katherine, and another is named Margaret. All turn of the 20th century (and earlier - classic in fact) names and all lovely - in my opinion. But that's what's great about names - they're all so unique and people like different names for different reasons.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Silliest name I ever saw was 'La-a'.
Pronounced Ladasha.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:38 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I dont mind much except hill billy names like Sally Ann, Baue (pronounced Bow)
I think you mean Beau, short for Beauregard, also sometimes nicknamed Bo. Goes right along with Trey as a popular southern nickname.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:31 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
<snip>

Words change definitions all the time. If you say someone is "gay" today, what is the likely perceived meaning? (Homosexual.) But, in 1890, if you said someone was "gay", it'd have meant something totally different... "happy".
Even as late as 1960, it was assumed to strictly mean "happy"
Hilarious today to see ad copy for 1955 Ramblers (cars) in "Rainbow-Gay Colors" or the summer 1956 Sears flyer for picnic gear "Summer is the perfect time for gay outings!" (in both cases, TWO words have changed their meaning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
People's names can carry different meanings even after episodes that are totally irrelevant to them.

Katrina
Sandy
Osama (or, as it's sometimes spelled, Usama)
The best example: Oswald (Ozzie, for short) was a very common masculine given, before this time 50 years ago.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:49 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The OP thinks Soledad is a "beautiful" name for a girl?

He might like the name but how could it ever be considered beautiful for a girl?
bleugrh
In Spanish, almost any noun ending in -dad is considered feminine.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:12 PM

604 posts, read 856,280 times
The only names I have a visceral dislike for are the Aiden/Jayden/Kayden/Brayden series and the name Michaela/Mikayla. Ugliest. Name. Ever. Sounds like a coffee drink you'd order at McDonald's.

My other big dislike is "creative" spelling. I worked with someone who named her son Mason, but the standard spelling was too boring for her so she ended up with some creative variant. At least we managed to talk her out of spelling it "Maison."

Old 11-25-2013, 12:17 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Female: Gertrude, Ethel, Mable, Bertha
Male: Elmer, Newt, Don, Ronnie

Last edited by 495neighbor; 11-25-2013 at 12:38 AM..

Old 11-25-2013, 12:33 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Worst names

Male: Todd (Carlin would agree)

Female: Names spelled backwards like Nevaeh or Rehtaeh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty