U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 12:59 PM

12,373 posts, read 20,971,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
How often do you wash your socks. I always end up with itchy and sweaty feet within 2 days of wearing a new pair and my socks become smellier then the fresh kills landfill .

My feet are really smooth though, if that makes any difference. I never had a dried or cracked foot problem at all.

I had to run to the restroom and remove my socks today because my feet were itching & sweating like crazy. This always happens to me when I wear the same socks for more than 2 days and is often very embarrassing.
Always wear socks from natural fibers so your feet can breathe. Wear socks once, then launder. Cotton is great and cool, wool is warmer and silk is the warmest -- I'd stick with cotton. 100% cotton is hard to find, and can be expensive.... make sure you do things to keep them nice, like keeping your toenails trimmed so they don't wear through the toes, and darn them at the first sign of wear through -- if you know how to sew and like it.

I know people do it all the time, but I'm just not comfortable in shoes without socks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 01:08 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,551,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Always wear socks from natural fibers so your feet can breathe. Wear socks once, then launder. Cotton is great and cool, wool is warmer and silk is the warmest -- I'd stick with cotton. 100% cotton is hard to find, and can be expensive.... make sure you do things to keep them nice, like keeping your toenails trimmed so they don't wear through the toes, and darn them at the first sign of wear through -- if you know how to sew and like it.

I know people do it all the time, but I'm just not comfortable in shoes without socks.
I picked out a fresh and clean pair of cotton socks today morning and my feet have started sweating again. I too hate wearing shoes without socks, but why are my feet uncomfortable under socks all the time. Is there any kind of antiperspirant you recommend for sweaty feet.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:12 PM

32,350 posts, read 13,332,449 times
I hate shoes and socks, but once I get cold, I'm cold all over and when winter sets in, I love my socks.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:16 PM

23,087 posts, read 25,005,422 times
I'm definitely a sock person. I'm a bit OCD about it, since my socks usually match my outfit, even though in the winter I'm usually wearing boots of some sort and no one ever sees. Like, today I'm wearing a green shirt and a brown cardigan, and green/brown argyle socks.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:06 PM

37 posts, read 55,095 times
Adi-

start with Gold Bond powder. If you're still have excessively sweaty feet (& itchy), you may have athelete's foot and there are plenty of over the counter sprays for that fungal problem.

Me? mostly lightweight ankle sox. I am so glad I am finally in style with mismatched socks! Now I don't have to look for a match! For hiking and winter boots, SmartWool. My feet usually get too warm for thick socks, so slippers are enough at home.

And I hate going to bed with cold feet-- it keeps me awake. So I have sometimes nuked (20 sec) a pair of socks and wear them into the bed... and then kick them off when everything is warm.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:17 PM

6,690 posts, read 7,014,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I'm a knitter - haven't tackled making socks yet but plan to as soon as I've built my skill a little....
Try worsted weight socks first - fewer stitches, a quicker project, and great winter house socks! Socks are not that difficult, just get a step-by-step pattern. I mostly knit plain vanilla socks, and I haven't made very many pairs yet. I'm in the middle of a pair for DH, his second. The problem he has with commercial men's socks is that the foot portion is just too big, and he ends up with the heel up the back of his leg.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:20 PM

6,690 posts, read 7,014,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedivec View Post
Actually... same here. Underwear is pretty much the only thing I need to wash after one wearing. I use my own judgment for the rest and launder when needed. My feet don't sweat, so I am able to get more than one day's use out of socks. Especially if I'm staying home all day.

And washing doesn't guarantee that any soap will actually touch my socks, either. One thing that helps my socks is to periodically put them through the wash all by themselves, with no soap, on the washer's hottest setting. I use laundry detergent pretty sparingly to begin with, but am always surprised at how many suds come out of my socks when I do this. It might take a while to build up an entire load of socks, but it's worth it; they always come out MUCH softer and more comfortable afterwards.
If you use white vinegar in the liquid fabric softener dispenser of your washer, you'll get a lot of that excess soap out along the way. Vinegar is a rinse agent, and doesn't leave any odor in your clothes. I particularly like to use it for towels.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:07 PM

18,434 posts, read 30,086,141 times
I don't think it's possible for a person to say their feet don't sweat. Everything sweats, whether we feel it or not. I cannot imagine a person's feet being enclosed in shoes and their feet never sweat.

The only socks I wear more than once are the ones I wear to bed. I don't normally do that very often, however.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:53 PM

319 posts, read 394,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
If you use white vinegar in the liquid fabric softener dispenser of your washer, you'll get a lot of that excess soap out along the way. Vinegar is a rinse agent, and doesn't leave any odor in your clothes. I particularly like to use it for towels.
Thanks for sharing this tip! I am going to try this the next time I do the laundry.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:17 PM

319 posts, read 394,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I don't think it's possible for a person to say their feet don't sweat. Everything sweats, whether we feel it or not. I cannot imagine a person's feet being enclosed in shoes and their feet never sweat.

The only socks I wear more than once are the ones I wear to bed. I don't normally do that very often, however.
I know it sounds hard to believe, but it's true. The number of sweat glands we have on different areas on our bodies vary widely from person to person. Some people just have very few sweat glands on their feet. Also, some health problems like diabetic neuropathy can damage the feet's sweating mechanism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty