Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:01 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times

Advertisements

Comparing the results from my Clothing + temperature threads and real life experience with this one, I can provide the conclusion below with 70 % confidence:

People who claim to have warm bodies (like the OP) usually end up having cold feet, while those with cold bodies (like me) end up with warm feet. I guess that's just natures way of compensating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 08:02 AM

317 posts, read 474,688 times
I LOVE socks. Black, white, grey, striped, patterned... and the cushier, the better. In the wintertime, I wear two pairs at once for extra warmth. Matching socks are the best I suppose, but if I lose one sock, I just make pairs out of the remaining orphans.

Last edited by Sedivec; 11-20-2013 at 08:28 AM..

Old 11-20-2013, 08:27 AM

317 posts, read 474,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Honestly, there isn't ANYthing I wash after just one wearing/use, outside of underwear and washcloths. Granted, I don't really have sweaty or stinky feet, or it might make a difference, but I usually get a couple of wearings out of socks, unless they end up getting soiled, like from hiking a muddy trail or something. I don't wear gross socks or anything, but my socks are normally clean after, say, a normal day's wearing. I feel like most clothing is cheaply made and doesn't hold up very well to begin with, and overwashing doesn't do much to extend the life of clothes. I wash stuff when it's dirty, sure, but for me, one wearing seldom equals "dirty."
Actually... same here. Underwear is pretty much the only thing I need to wash after one wearing. I use my own judgment for the rest and launder when needed. My feet don't sweat, so I am able to get more than one day's use out of socks. Especially if I'm staying home all day.

And washing doesn't guarantee that any soap will actually touch my socks, either. One thing that helps my socks is to periodically put them through the wash all by themselves, with no soap, on the washer's hottest setting. I use laundry detergent pretty sparingly to begin with, but am always surprised at how many suds come out of my socks when I do this. It might take a while to build up an entire load of socks, but it's worth it; they always come out MUCH softer and more comfortable afterwards.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:27 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
I love socks, now Im liking the brightly colored ones, not high, living in the south and there's really no need for heavy high socks here, I sometimes put cream on my feet at nite and wear the socks to bed (alth. I must kick them off when I sleep bc sometimes they're on the sheets) - I also wear crocs a lot of the time and got croc socks but I have yet to wear them (soon) - depending on my wash. machine schedule, I can wear them more than one day, I have a lot. I dont care too much for the dark socks mainly bc they're magnets for dog hair (we have light colored dogs who while they dont shed too much, they shed enough and I dont need to be walking around w/ furry socks, lol

Old 11-20-2013, 08:54 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Hah, you're still walking around with furry socks, they just don't look as furry as the dark ones do. Your light colored socks are picking up just as much pet hair as dark ones do, you just can't see it.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:16 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
I love dressing up and then wearing ridiculous socks underneath my boots

Last weekend I went out to do the dinner/movie thing and wore a really nice sweater dress with lacey stockings and my knee high heeled boots with Mario Bros. socks underneath.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:28 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
I also LOVE socks and actually re-arranged my 3 sock drawers the other day. The best socks are from Cabelas: the special ones specifically for back packing, hiking, etc. They have built in support where you need it and when you put them on - it feels wonderful! Obviously I love the great coloured, stripped, etc socks. I wish it were stylish to wear thin, fun socks with high heels. Sure would feel better on the feet.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:31 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Honestly, there isn't ANYthing I wash after just one wearing/use, outside of underwear and washcloths. Granted, I don't really have sweaty or stinky feet, or it might make a difference, but I usually get a couple of wearings out of socks, unless they end up getting soiled, like from hiking a muddy trail or something. I don't wear gross socks or anything, but my socks are normally clean after, say, a normal day's wearing. I feel like most clothing is cheaply made and doesn't hold up very well to begin with, and overwashing doesn't do much to extend the life of clothes. I wash stuff when it's dirty, sure, but for me, one wearing seldom equals "dirty."
If you really don't wash socks every time you wear them, then buy some silk sock liners and at least wash those each night. You can buy anti-bacterial special socks from sports stores - that would help.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:55 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,546 times
I went through a period that anytime I washed socks I would end up losing a pair. I changed the strategy and buy uniform socks in bulks. They were still gone after several wash. So since then I had been sockless for a year.
Winter approached and I decided that its time for me to buy socks again. I can't beleive what difference they make to your feet! So I understand your obsession of the right socks and how they look.
For me, I just wear plain black Goldtoe socks

Old 11-20-2013, 11:05 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
If you really don't wash socks every time you wear them, then buy some silk sock liners and at least wash those each night. You can buy anti-bacterial special socks from sports stores - that would help.
Nah, it's cool. My socks really aren't dirty after a single wearing...nor are most of my clothes. Honestly? There isn't ANYthing I wash each night,, although there are a few things that are for sure single-use only before going in the laundry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty