U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 09:50 PM

11,921 posts, read 4,584,978 times

Advertisements

Do people still wear Members Only jackets?

I don't think it matters. I think making an issue out of labels is teenager-ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 10:47 PM

265 posts, read 100,006 times
Yeah too bad it's the adults acting like teenagers wearing this stuff.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:46 PM

878 posts, read 503,381 times
I have no problem with seeing so many North Face jackets being worn. Maybe they're great, but I don't like wearing prominent logos that can be seen from across the street. When you look at all the performance clothing makers they use a lot of the same fabrics and they all essentially look the same except for the name. That's all you're buying.

So when I buy a jacket, I'm looking for something with high tech fabrics which will breathe, insulation that is not affected by water, an outer shell that is water resistant, but still very breathable, but it can't have a prominent logo. I have found Salomon and Black Diamond make some decent jackets for a reasonable price, and the branding is pretty subtle.

There are some brands I don't wear because of the logo and The North Face is one of them. They should shrink it down and not have it on the front and back in contrasting colors, or at least offer some jackets that are more discreet.

Last edited by A1eutian; 03-31-2018 at 11:59 PM..

Old 04-01-2018, 01:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,803 posts, read 41,457,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I thought it was ssoooo 2005? Do people still wear North Face jackets where you live?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
Come to Colorado. ....
very old thread with absentee OP, but...
1) as a former Coloradoan, I still wear my Frostline winter wear From late 1960's and 1970's (I made them from kits during 4-H projects.
2) while living in the PNW, I get congratulated on wearing my White Stag coat. (I got that during 9th grade ~ 50 yrs ago)
3) I have some really nice circa 1970 Camp 7 winter gear. Works fine!

Old 04-01-2018, 08:07 AM

1,696 posts, read 890,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Do people still wear Members Only jackets?

I don't think it matters. I think making an issue out of labels is teenager-ish.
No, but I have a sneaky suspicion that they will make a "come back" soon.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
No, but I have a sneaky suspicion that they will make a "come back" soon.
I've seen hipsters wearing them. my ex's dad still wore his (probably still does)

Old 04-01-2018, 08:15 PM

2,269 posts, read 951,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
I guess I'm a fashion obsessed moron whose jacket that could have been. I remember paying 180 for mine. And while a nice jacket, it felt odd walking down the street with 10 other people wearing the same thing. I was also determined to save and invest 10k so I started selling a lot of my name brand logo clothing on ebay. I remember even used it going for like 130 bucks if not 140 dollars and that must have like 2003

I remember seeing the ski bubble jacket things in the 90s from north face. I don't think you can call fleece a classic since they didn't start long enough ago. Further, you do know you can get a fleece zip from old navy for like 20 bucks or whatever.
Re: the bolded:
No argument here.

I don't care about the label. However, when I buy outdoor gear, I buy quality. I am vaguely aware that North Face became, at some point, a status symbol. This was undoubtedly due in large part to its quality, which necessitated a high price tag. Some products, when they achieve 'brand name' status, will begin maximizing profits by producing mediocre stuff and living off the name. See, Harley-Davidson. See also, Rolex. Two brands priced all out of proportion to the product. North Face seems not to have cared and has continued with its original mission. Works for me.

If I'm in the Boundary Waters or the Sierra Nevada or the Mojave and miles from a road, I want a jacket (or boots, or a sleeping bag, or a utility tool, etc.) upon which I can rely. Some of this gear doubles as everyday wear because its backcountry application is rare enough that it will wear out from age before it will wear out from use, so I might as well get as much use from it as I can. I could not possibly give a rat's rump less what you or someone else thinks of the brand I've chosen. And I'm not brain-dead, which is why I don't buy outdoor gear at Old Navy. I do have an item or two of the Old Navy brand (shirt? shorts? I forget), I think, but it's strictly casual wear. Of course, an Old Navy jacket will wear out much faster than certain other brands. Some people are too clueless to understand that one can spend wisely on quality and not spend any more in the long term than people who buy crap and have to replace said crap regularly because crappily-made crap wears out far too soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
very old thread with absentee OP, but...
1) as a former Coloradoan, I still wear my Frostline winter wear From late 1960's and 1970's (I made them from kits during 4-H projects.
2) while living in the PNW, I get congratulated on wearing my White Stag coat. (I got that during 9th grade ~ 50 yrs ago)
3) I have some really nice circa 1970 Camp 7 winter gear. Works fine!
Another poster who both comprehends the concept of purchasing quality and who doesn't desperately need the approval of others!

Old 04-01-2018, 08:35 PM

24,841 posts, read 30,805,088 times
https://www.thenorthface.com/?cm_mmc...AaAgG8EALw_wcB

I remember this thread from way back. The North Face still makes pricey, quality outerwear. I still have no clue why the OP would think they are our of date.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Re: the bolded:
No argument here.

I don't care about the label. However, when I buy outdoor gear, I buy quality. I am vaguely aware that North Face became, at some point, a status symbol. This was undoubtedly due in large part to its quality, which necessitated a high price tag. Some products, when they achieve 'brand name' status, will begin maximizing profits by producing mediocre stuff and living off the name. See, Harley-Davidson. See also, Rolex. Two brands priced all out of proportion to the product. North Face seems not to have cared and has continued with its original mission. Works for me.

If I'm in the Boundary Waters or the Sierra Nevada or the Mojave and miles from a road, I want a jacket (or boots, or a sleeping bag, or a utility tool, etc.) upon which I can rely. Some of this gear doubles as everyday wear because its backcountry application is rare enough that it will wear out from age before it will wear out from use, so I might as well get as much use from it as I can. I could not possibly give a rat's rump less what you or someone else thinks of the brand I've chosen. And I'm not brain-dead, which is why I don't buy outdoor gear at Old Navy. I do have an item or two of the Old Navy brand (shirt? shorts? I forget), I think, but it's strictly casual wear. Of course, an Old Navy jacket will wear out much faster than certain other brands. Some people are too clueless to understand that one can spend wisely on quality and not spend any more in the long term than people who buy crap and have to replace said crap regularly because crappily-made crap wears out far too soon.

Another poster who both comprehends the concept of purchasing quality and who doesn't desperately need the approval of others!
yea sure you don't care about the label. So you paid 200 bucks for a sweatshirt whose only sole redeeming quality is the label.

What exactly do you know about motorcycles? Harley is also not double the price of a honda in its class. If anything they have gotten to be much more reliable over the years. Rolex maybe over-priced for a mechanical watch, but mediocre it is not.

Ironically, you just described north face. A brand that used to make quality stuff that is just medicore mass produced chinese junk now. Fleece is fleece. And down is down. And I don't think North Face makes down coats. You can buy a down parka for same price as a chinese synthetic north face parka. You can buy 10 old navy fleeces -- be bored with them just like north face jacket before its use expires or just replace them with one of the ten you bought. I suppose its different if you're really using them for rock climbing or whatever but, then again most are not, and I'm sure better more reasonable priced mountain climbing gear exists.

How exactly do you know old navy fleece will not last as long as north face? That little logo and price tag tells you. You're coming off rather foolishly with your claims and cheap put-downs.

Last edited by Raise_the_Black_Flag; 04-01-2018 at 09:56 PM..

Old 04-01-2018, 09:46 PM

8,073 posts, read 6,214,324 times
I wore it when it was real ski equipment. I did ask a nice young lady if she had any idea where the name originated. She had no clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty