Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 05:50 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times

Advertisements

Gore Tex is still in, other companies have other names for it, or their version of it. Cabela's is called Dry Plus if I remember correctly. Same with Thinsulate, newer products have come out with names like Super Loft or some such.

Actually Gore Tex, or a variant, is becoming fairly widespread now so it's not such a big deal. Then again, most of my outerwear is geared to waterfowl hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 05:51 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I thought it was ssoooo 2005? Do people still wear North Face jackets where you live?
I went to the doctor last week wearing a pair of pants I bought in 1993. They still looked good although there have been thoughts in my mind that they could just fall apart one day.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:43 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
I thought it was ssoooo 2005? Do people still wear North Face jackets where you live?

Yep. And they still wear (insert any brand you like) jeans and (insert any brand you like) shoes and drive (insert any make you like) cars and eat (insert any kind you like) food as well.

Amazing isn't it?

Old 11-18-2013, 09:00 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
It's hard for me to understand why somebody would stop wearing a perfectly good looking and functioning piece of clothing, especially a NF garment because somebody else ( a shallow somebody else really) thought it was "out of style". Perchance would that somebody be up to their arm pits in credit card debt so as not to look "unfashionable" and soooooooooooo 2005?

Old 11-18-2013, 09:21 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Quote:
For most people, if a jacket provides the maximum amount of warmth with minimum bulkiness, then its a score. North face might have capitalized on this oppurtunity in 2005 and is still successful in doing so. Kudos to them.

Most gals in my area wear nothing more than tank tops or t shirts under North face jackets even during the middle of sickly cold Jersey winters, which implies they do an excellent job at retaining body warmth without layering.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:09 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yep. And they still wear (insert any brand you like) jeans and (insert any brand you like) shoes and drive (insert any make you like) cars and eat (insert any kind you like) food as well.

Amazing isn't it?

Wait, Levis jeans are so 1860s!

2005? Wow, that looks like ages, ages ago. Unforgivable...How can they?

Old 11-19-2013, 01:43 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,234 times
North Face is sooo American.

I wear Barbour (UK Brand with stores in the US). Nicer to have a brand few Americans outside of New England know anything about.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:15 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
North Face is sooo American.

I wear Barbour (UK Brand with stores in the US). Nicer to have a brand few Americans outside of New England know anything about.

Why? - does that make you feel *special*?

I wouldn't touch a waxy old barbour with a 10ft barge pole. They tend to smell quickly.
I'm British btw.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:24 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,546 times
This is off topic but Barbour waxed jacket is so hard to clean. yes you only have to wipe it but sometimes I need to wash it. I hate reapplying the wax.
Plus like what somebody said, it can get smelly.

I will stick with North Face because it makes me warm and I can just toss it into the washer.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:33 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It's hard for me to understand why somebody would stop wearing a perfectly good looking and functioning piece of clothing, especially a NF garment because somebody else ( a shallow somebody else really) thought it was "out of style". Perchance would that somebody be up to their arm pits in credit card debt so as not to look "unfashionable" and soooooooooooo 2005?
Wait it costs a lot of money to dress a little bit better than average? Cue to the 10000000 fashion blogs for the budget conscious. It's amazing how sensitive people are when it gets pointed out that their fashion sense may be simply plain or a tad boring when these people vehemently claim to not care about fashion at all (which again is ironic in the fashion forum). Show me one post where I judge NF wearers personally by what they wear. You can't because I never did. I'm sure plenty of NF wearers are very nice people, but that still doesn't change the fact that wearing sneakers + jeans + a black NF fleece is quite bland.

I'm sure gear heads could tell by the car I drive that I probably don't know much about cars at all, and If they pointed out that I know very little about cars or that the car i drive isnt the best on the road for what I spent I wouldnt get very bent out of shape about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty