U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 10:20 AM

15,273 posts, read 13,115,942 times

Advertisements

Its a very fine line though isnt it... not to look silly.... I saw a woman in her 70s in town.. very posh lady with the highest heels, that I couldnt walk in especially all day.... they were red and very fashionable.. she had a cashmere cream cardigan over her shoulders a lovely modern knee length dress and her hair and makeup perfect... and was stunning.... not many though could pull this look off.... still I cant ever iimagine my granny like that ever... I dont think she had the cash or time to do all that to herself. and had just turned into an old woman..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 12:31 PM

2,876 posts, read 3,553,602 times
My grandmother was always dress well, face and hair was always done jeweler color coordinated, right purse with shoes etc, etc , even if she didn't leave the house she passed at age 88...My other grandmother was an artiest , dress in comfy clothing, never dye her hair or wore makeup/ jeweler a free spirit, she passed at age 94 ..

Old 11-18-2013, 01:12 PM

9,975 posts, read 9,494,457 times
My grandmother passed away in 1955. I was just a young child but do remember she had long hair that she always had slicked back and in a bun. But each night she would brush it out. She was a tiny lady 4'10" and always wore dark dresses with an apron and the flat granny boot like shoes to work in her flower beds. She always wore these round garters just below her knees to hold up her hose.

I don't remember much about her except she did dress granny style.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:10 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,642,453 times
It is WE who label their style of dress as "grannyish"; not they or their contemporaries. To them it is/was probably just the way their society expected a mature married or widowed female to dress.

Both of my grandmothers were born in the rural American South in the 1890's. They were both raised in a fundamentalist Christian church. I'm sure they dressed more-or-less fashionably in their youths and continued the style of dress through the Great Depression, straight into World War II, and all the way to their deaths in the 50s and 60s.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:54 PM

286 posts, read 393,962 times
I plan on dressing like a Granny when I get there. My front porch will have a rocking chair on it and my house will always smell like cookies. My husband will be the typical grandpa telling overly long stories. I will cook huge holiday dinners and may even take up nitting... I'll think I'll start at age 65.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:53 PM

6,043 posts, read 13,355,798 times
Thanks OP for starting this thread. I've been thinking about this lately.

Both my grandmothers used to dress really nice in the 1950's American housewife June Cleaver sort of way. They were really stylish.

Now, both around their 80's, they wear sweats. Pretty much all the time. Sweat pants and sweatshirts and socks and sneakers. Sometimes a turtleneck underneath the sweatshirt. If there's a funeral or wedding or something they have to leave the house for, they'll put on a nice collared shirt and a pair of "slacks". Both keep their hair very short and permed/curly/"set". Personally I love it because it's "them" and they are comfortable and who cares anyway...

But it makes me wonder what grannies will look like when I'm a grannie!? Are we going to be wearing jeggings with UGG boots and hoodies? (Just kidding.) What will future grannies of the world look like?

Resident Allien - Grandma gangsta Hip Hop Mix Resident Allien-www.f - Mixcrate

Old 11-18-2013, 07:09 PM

22,170 posts, read 14,926,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I remember my old Irish granny... a lovely woman, always smiliing, but she dressed like an old granny, she wore cross over aprons in paisley patterns with a brooch where it closed over... it said MOTHER on it... old granny slipper in a fawn colour with tartan and side ear parts with like two wee eyes and a big silly looking tassle at the front... her hair was white and long but she kept it tided neatly back in a bun with a hainet over it.... now this was a woman of about 70. almost my age now... not long to go and I cant even envisage looking the way she did..... but then she was a real grannyand adorable.
There was a time when all married women were supposed to dress "respectful" and "conservative" as befitting their status as wives and mothers. This could and does vary by culture however. I've seen "grannies" on Spanish Novellas dressing as hot as their daughters.

Once one became of a certain age and certainly if you were a widow it was thought that "side of life" was over and you dressed befitting a decent matron. Many women didn't purchase the latest in fashions but remained in some variation of what they wore as middle aged women. You see this with older women still in long skirts long after hemlines had risen.

The whole thing really boils down to society (usually controlled by males) enforcing their views of women and sexuality on females in various stages of their lives.

As a young lady a female could dress to show off her beauty (within limits) in order to attract a husband.

Married young or even middle aged women could be a bit more risqué because they were already married and their character spoke for them. Older women aren't supposed to be interested in sex or male attention and thus should dress more conservatively both out of respect and to satisfy social norms.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:18 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,527,680 times
Time is also a factor -- grownups don't grow out of their clothes, so sometimes we have stuff around for a loooooong time .

One of my grannies wore flowered dresses and aprons in the 80s that she probably made herself back in the 40s and still owned. When she went out she wore pants, or maybe a lovely knit dress (she was a knitter).

My other granny had a classic style -- collared shirts and nice slacks and cardigans.

I copy her in that I try to buy things that will never go out of style. I have skinny jeans now, but I am keeping my wide leg pants for the next time they come back in. And I still have some leggings from the last time they were in fashion!

Old 11-18-2013, 10:23 PM

37,222 posts, read 43,430,711 times
My grandma always looks cute and stylish, never dated, frumpy, or matronly. She doesn't dress inappropriately and always looks tasteful, but she's more likely to dress in a stylish dress and cute shoes than in elastic waist polyester pants or Naturalizer loafers. In fact, she doesn't even own either of those things. She came to my sister's bachelorette party last year in jeans and a cute blazer. She's 81, and tiny and petite. She always looks fresh and perky, never elderly.

My other grandma, rest her soul...she was a lovely, fun person...who dressed like the stereotypical librarian or schoolmarm. Birds of two different feathers...

Old 11-18-2013, 10:26 PM

37,222 posts, read 43,430,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post

I copy her in that I try to buy things that will never go out of style. I have skinny jeans now, but I am keeping my wide leg pants for the next time they come back in. And I still have some leggings from the last time they were in fashion!
Yep, when I have the storage, I really try not to get rid of clothing that's become dated, and try not to get things that are of obvious fleeting style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty