U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 11:27 AM

37,223 posts, read 43,464,057 times

Advertisements

Eh, some age-appropriate attire is stylish, and some is not. This goes across age groups, too. There is plenty of clothing that is available to people in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, etc. that isn't particularly attractive or flattering, but is not-age inappropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 11:30 AM

706 posts, read 974,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Why can't "age appropriate" mean "stylish"?
In fact, many of the dress styles better suited to older women involve more intricate details and more "stylish-ness", in and of itself, than the youthful look.

This is "old" and "stylish" look:

Why the Queen avoids beige - Diamond Jubilee, Fashion - Macleans.ca

This is "young and completely not-stylish" because blue jeans and a tank top will never involve any level of intricate style except through the youth of the wearer.

http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons/2...3_for_2420.jpg

It just looks like you equate stylish with "youngish-looking".

Also, you may want to pause and ask yourself why is it SO important to you to be "stylish" (however you define that) at ANY age?
Your statement has a very alarmist and anxious feel to it (I will NEVER NOT be stylish!!).
I feel this way because whenever you read supposed rules on how an older woman should dress, they always lean toward a more sensible sense of style vs. Being trendy and fun. Makeup should be neutral colors with brighter and more interesting shades being frowned upon. Same with clothing, shoes and hairstyles. At least that's what I've noticed.

I like dressing fun, trendy and keeping somewhat current with the latest styles. I just don't see that changing for myself. I don't care for the way society dictates an older woman should dress.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:35 AM

12,465 posts, read 8,792,373 times
I think it was the times. Today people dress the way they want. I just saw a photo of Rachel Welch who is 73 at a event in a long red dress and she sure didn't look like a granny. She probably wore that dress better than women half her age so age appropriate clothing is a hard thing to nail down.
When looking at old family photos from the 60's it is funny to see the hairstyles on the women. Doing the math auntie was in her 30's looking like a old lady and her hair style didn't change for the next 40 years.
Hair, Clothes it was just the way it was.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:39 AM

706 posts, read 974,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think it was the times. Today people dress the way they want. I just saw a photo of Rachel Welch who is 73 at a event in a long red dress and she sure didn't look like a granny. She probably wore that dress better than women half her age so age appropriate clothing is a hard thing to nail down.
When looking at old family photos from the 60's it is funny to see the hairstyles on the women. Doing the math auntie was in her 30's looking like a old lady and her hair style didn't change for the next 40 years.
Hair, Clothes it was just the way it was.
I for one think it's a great thing that more and more women are dressing how they want as they get older. I applaud them for it. Nothing wrong with dressing according to age-appropriate rules if that's what a woman wishes to do. But there also isn't anything wrong with a woman making her own rules for style and dress.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:40 AM

37,223 posts, read 43,464,057 times
I think older women look GREAT in bright colors.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:29 PM

1,364 posts, read 903,081 times
Nothing wrong in being stylish when you are older. I do not want to dress like a granny and I just turned 54. I do think there is a difference in being trendy and being stylish. When I think of Trendy I think of clothes that teenage girls and preteens wear. To me wearing a trendy outfit at my age will make me look older but a stylish outfit will make me look younger. Example ripped blue jeans I see as trendy that I think will make a older woman look like she is trying to hard to hold on to youth.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:41 PM

4,043 posts, read 6,359,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
I feel this way because whenever you read supposed rules on how an older woman should dress, they always lean toward a more sensible sense of style vs. Being trendy and fun. Makeup should be neutral colors with brighter and more interesting shades being frowned upon. Same with clothing, shoes and hairstyles. At least that's what I've noticed.

I like dressing fun, trendy and keeping somewhat current with the latest styles. I just don't see that changing for myself. I don't care for the way society dictates an older woman should dress.
Generally speaking, as you grow older, you might notice that if society has "dictated" certain standards for a long time, there usually has been a pretty strong reason why those standards were formulated and maintained over time in the first place.

For example, there is a readon why skirt length tends to get longer with age, to the point where 'society' sort of "dictates" that after a certain age you don't really wanna go in "mini-skirts" anymore, even if you had super hot legs as a young women.

Contrary to popular wisdom, this is not because society "hates you" and wants to take the fun away from you. It is because most older women DO look better with a skirt right at or below the knee than with a short skirt.

Same for long locks, very bright, colorful make-up, etc (though I do agree that bright colors in clothing can very much flatter older women).

In fact, once you get at that age you may make the more "sensible"/flattering choices yourself without 'society' having to "keeping a gun" to your head - simply because you may realize you really don't look all that good anymore with mini-skirts, tank tops and jeans and long locks blowing in the wind (hair does fall and hair texture DOES change with age to the point where long hair may end up looking witchy as opposed to sensual, hot and trendy, as many women continue to fancy themselves well beyond the age of 45).

This is nothing but deep-seated hatred of matures ages which this culture perpetuates.

I have seen gorgeous older ladies who dress age appropriately, are very much stylish and are a pleasure to look at - even if yes, they NO LONGER look young.
Which is perfectly fine, in and of itself.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:43 PM

15,594 posts, read 32,055,735 times
Hehe - I never had kids so I can't be a "granny" therefore I am forever young! Yes, I am 64 years young and I wear what I frikken please! That might include a fitted dress above the knees.... however, I always keep it tasteful and I don't like a lot of makeup or anything "trendy."

On topic, my grandmothers definitely looked like really really old "grannies" - they were wrinkled with boobs down to their waists, overweight, and wearing frumpy housedresses with aprons. I think it was just those times. Baby boomers are soooo much younger than those from decades past, at least that is my experience.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:00 PM

18,978 posts, read 5,100,316 times
I am 66, I have short blond hair, wear makeup, and wear pants, jeans, whatever....
My grandmother never wore pants, or makeup, her hair was very long and done up in a braid,
but most everyone else her age was the same.....My own mother did wear pants, sometimes lipstick,
colored her short hair until her 80's.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:43 PM

1,799 posts, read 2,485,400 times
Well i certainly do not look anything like Rachel Welch nor do i want to, or could afford to, i don't wear anything like what my dear Grandma wore either, as i aged i found that i gradually wore less makeup, went for very classic casual comfy clothes and shoes, when you reach a certain age you find you are no longer in competition with anyone for attention. To all women i say just relax and enjoy life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty