Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 10:02 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post

But it makes me wonder what grannies will look like when I'm a grannie!? Are we going to be wearing jeggings with UGG boots and hoodies? (Just kidding.) What will future grannies of the world look like?
That's a good point. I think our society as a whole has gotten more casual. I used to joke that I didn't want to meet anyone and fall in love the year "Another one bites the dust" was the song of the year. I imagined cuddling up to my husband of 60 years on the couch getting all nostalgic when the "oldies" station played that! LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz_DNrKVrQ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Older women aren't supposed to be interested in sex or male attention and thus should dress more conservatively both out of respect and to satisfy social norms.
YIKES!!! Don't tell the Boomers that! Many are more active now than in their youth!
Of course, I think all that was just a rumor to cover the real truth. I asked my Grandmother once (born in 1901) about divorce and affairs and all that during her younger years. She said, "Oh honey, it's always been there. We just didn't divorce each other. We would have tacit agreements to be discreet and have affairs because we effectively HAD left each other. Only society wouldn't recognize it." She was quite a little hot tamale in her time. My other grandmother was the shapeless dress, hairnet, overweight and not terribly affectionate one. Very fundamental religious views. Needless to say, the grannies didn't get along! You can guess which one I take after!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 12:40 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
Quote:
Thanks OP for starting this thread. I've been thinking about this lately.

Both my grandmothers used to dress really nice in the 1950's American housewife June Cleaver sort of way. They were really stylish.

Now, both around their 80's, they wear sweats. Pretty much all the time. Sweat pants and sweatshirts and socks and sneakers. Sometimes a turtleneck underneath the sweatshirt. If there's a funeral or wedding or something they have to leave the house for, they'll put on a nice collared shirt and a pair of "slacks". Both keep their hair very short and permed/curly/"set". Personally I love it because it's "them" and they are comfortable and who cares anyway...

But it makes me wonder what grannies will look like when I'm a grannie!? Are we going to be wearing jeggings with UGG boots and hoodies? (Just kidding.) What will future grannies of the world look like?

Resident Allien - Grandma gangsta Hip Hop Mix Resident Allien-www.f - Mixcrate

My grandfathers girlfriend who is 85 and a grandma does wear Ugg boots and hoodies. It is so funny.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:03 AM

687 posts, read 1,494,015 times
Quote:

But it makes me wonder what grannies will look like when I'm a grannie!? Are we going to be wearing jeggings with UGG boots and hoodies? (Just kidding.) What will future grannies of the world look like. l]
My grandbabies are 1 and 2. At 45, I love being a granny, but I hardly dress the part. Just yesterday I went to the store wearing jeans, UGGs and a hoodie. I'd love to wear the flowered dresses and sensible shoes, but I just don't think I could pull off the look. Maybe I'll give it a try next spring when I'm out milking goats and tending the chickens.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:50 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
dont you dare..... I live in jeans or denims.. and not the ones elasticated at the back either Ilike casual jackets, wearing a khaki army style one just now with my wede heel sued boots.. Im not into dressing up much but I dont think Ill ever do the flowery dresses with the white cardi as long as I live...

Old 11-19-2013, 05:48 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
OHH, If you had only been here! For one thing, pants weren't made for women. You had to alter men's if you just had to wear them. You wore the apron to protect the dress. You might not wash your house clothes for a month or more. Pants started to be made during WW11.

Even now, try to find something that's made to fit an old, big tummy figure. And don't even think about a decent bra! Shoes? you had to have money to get the stuff that looked good. And it had to be real leather. That "other" stuff hadn't even been invented yet. Two pairs, one for church and one for everyday.

And if you went to the store..... you wore gloves and a hat. That was a must do. So much was about money. There just wasn't enough to waste on clothes.

Old lady make up consisted of face powder. and maybe rouge.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:32 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Hah, my main makeup since high school has been face powder. Maybe I am eternally 80.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:33 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,440,798 times
Part of it was also because "age" was held in much higher regard today than it is now.

You WANTED to look mature, respectable, wise, serious, with experience.
Now you want to look like an eternal, flirty teenager getting updated like a software product every 3 days, shaking your blond locks in the wind.
I do have such a granny in my workplace and this woman is constantly shaking her long locks from left to right.

Trouble is that engaging in this kind of battle against the passing of time is a lost and painful cause from the start.

This results in the grannies of our times, aspiring to look like "hot, sweet little things" (with tons of wrinkles or a cosmetically pulled-up face).
Pretty sad. Between those visions and paisley granny, I will take the latter.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSaySheSay View Post
I plan on dressing like a Granny when I get there. My front porch will have a rocking chair on it and my house will always smell like cookies. My husband will be the typical grandpa telling overly long stories. I will cook huge holiday dinners and may even take up nitting... I'll think I'll start at age 65.
You are probably 20 (or so) now so the rocking chair thing is far away enough.
Only this could explain making this type of pledge.

When you turn 40 or so and your entire environment screams "keep up with the youthful look or you're ugly, frumpy, irrelevant and best out of sight" - update us on how you feel.

40+ yo-s now look like Jennifer Anniston (or they'd better!) and 70+ yo-s now look like Jane Fonda and Raquel Welch (or they'd better!).

Good luck with the rocking chair plan!

Last edited by syracusa; 11-19-2013 at 10:14 AM..

Old 11-19-2013, 09:43 AM

706 posts, read 1,179,837 times
I guess as some women get older they become less interested in being stylish. My grandmother had a very classic style, not necessarily like a granny, but definitely what most would consider "age appropriate". I don't plan on ever dressing like a granny. Nothing against those who do, but I can't see me ever not caring about being stylish I less I fall ill unexpectantly.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
I guess as some women get older they become less interested in being stylish. My grandmother had a very classic style, not necessarily like a granny, but definitely what most would consider "age appropriate". I don't plan on ever dressing like a granny. Nothing against those who do, but I can't see me ever not caring about being stylish I less I fall ill unexpectantly.
Why can't "age appropriate" mean "stylish"?
In fact, many of the dress styles better suited to older women involve more intricate details and more "stylish-ness", in and of itself, than the youthful look.

This is "old" and "stylish" look:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/06/01/w...-avoids-beige/

This is "young and completely not-stylish" because blue jeans and a tank top will never involve any level of intricate style except through the youth of the wearer.

http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons/2...3_for_2420.jpg

It just looks like you equate stylish with "youngish-looking".

Also, you may want to pause and ask yourself why is it SO important to you to be "stylish" (however you define that) at ANY age?
Your statement has a very alarmist and anxious feel to it (I will NEVER NOT be stylish!!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty