U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-20-2013, 11:23 AM
 
2,632 posts, read 6,024,733 times
Reputation: 1400

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Huh? I see lots of women who are less attractive, greasy hair, mustach, 200+ lbs and have loving husbands. I am in shape, no facial hair and I am single.


The only difference for me is that I get away with speeding tickets and my boss makes perverted comments all day. No pay raises though.

I think more overweight and unattractive people act snippy and mean towards attractive people and not vice versa. Why would an attractive person hate less attractive people? Doesn't make sense.

I don't mind being around less attractive people. I just don't like when overweight people eat all day and then complain about being overweight. Or guys with big beards wonder why they can't find a date.

I even go that far saying, that less attractive people have more friends - because they can't rely on looks, they are more funny, more reliable and have a better character = much better people.
Your exactly the kind of person my Op was talking about.
Your outputting false information.

First of all, who in the heck invented this attractive people have less personality stereotype when in reality thats complete bull.

Attractive people are given more opportunities for social interaction because people naturally gravitate towards them, and therefore develop social experience much faster then unattractive people. Why do you think "nerds" are typically socially awkward, and lack low confidence? Nerds have way more social negative experiences then there more attractive counterparts. Negative experiences suchs as being bullied verbally, physically and emotionally, having fewer romantic interest or choices and given less opportunities through social interaction.


Attractive people from childhood were often given praise. Why do you think Super attractive people are sometimes stuck up and spoiled. It's because they developed social over confidence because people treated them like gods growing up and continue to do so for their rest of their lives.

It's true that some attractive people rely on their good looks to get ahead and a decent number of super attractive people do to but alot have good looks, better social skills and intelligence to match.

It's much easier to develop as a person in our society with a higher income, better education and more financial opportunities. Attractive people get all those benefits.

You do know what objective and subjective information is? Alot of people on these forums don't know the difference. What you are telling me is subjective information a.k.a your opinion. What I have told you is objective information a.k.a the facts.

Physical attractiveness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You don't mind. You think. Well what you think is an opinion. Here are the facts. I'm glad you joined this thread. I will enjoy decimating your argument, with statistics, facts and objective information over your false, bias, opinion.

Society doesn't care what you think.

Beautiful People Get More Job Interviews - Business Insider

I HAVE MUCH MORE WHERE THAT CAME FROM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2013, 11:28 AM
 
2,632 posts, read 6,024,733 times
Reputation: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
How is this handled though?
Do mom and dad say, "Look son, we love you. But the reality is, you uuuuuuugly. "
haha.

Of course not.
For the most part, most parents already say, "Look your best" So on and so forth. So they try to instill that mindset in us.
The thing is, when we get older, we see guys use no effort, don't shave for 3-4 days, wear flannels and old t-shirts, and women approach them.

Cant change it. That guy rocking the flannel while he doesnt care about his hair or gut happens to be hot.
He thinks he has game. Really, all he has is what society defines as a good facial structure.

It takes some guys a while to figure this out. Some never do figure it out.
And the smart ones figure it out and make themself attractive by means other than their face/body. If more guys worked on being attractive through means other than their face/body, they would probably be better off. Be funny, be charming, be smooth, be rich, be something. Just don't rely on DNA, cause most guys dont have that luxery. Be smarter than the next not-so-attractive guy, and figure out whatyou can do to make you attractive and successful.

Thats exactly what I did. My problem is that this is not the mainstream idea. Go to websites or pick up a book on dating and they will feed most men garbage on how to talk to women instead of how to fix your appearance.


Maybe I am a little bitter because I had to find out the hardway and was lied to for a good portion of my life. I just hate seeing people who were like myself being lied to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2013, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
21,188 posts, read 21,507,083 times
Reputation: 22173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
True but I talk to everyday people especially women they all say the same thing. "I choose a guy based of personality, intelligence and how he treats me. etc. etc." That's clearly a lie. Guys act as if they don't do it either.


Everyday people are hypocrites. They all say they judge someone on the inside and now whats on the outside but turn around and only have or pursue friendships or pursue romantic interest with more attractive people.

How do you know they are hypocrites? Are they hypocrites because the people that they are compatible with happen to be attractive? Would they only not be hypocrites if they ONLY dated very unattractive people? There are lots of unattractive people out there in love and in relationships - and some of them are with people more attractive than they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2013, 11:31 AM
 
2,632 posts, read 6,024,733 times
Reputation: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
How do you know they are hypocrites? Are they hypocrites because the people that they are compatible with happen to be attractive? Would they only not be hypocrites if they ONLY dated very unattractive people? There are lots of unattractive people out there in love and in relationships - and some of them are with people more attractive than they are.
Seriously....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2013, 11:32 AM
 
8,012 posts, read 6,804,617 times
Reputation: 12080
You know I wonder why some posters have this view that the world is such a horrific unlivable harsh place if you are unattractive or overweight. I do agree that more attractive people get more breaks then unattractive sometimes but the general tone of this thread seems to be that if you're not attractive you might as well crawl in a hole and die. The world isn't that brutal a place. There are good-looking people who don't treat those less attractive then them as inferior and unattractive people who don't get treated like crap.

As for self-improvement, self improvement is something that should be done for self. I exercise so I will be healthy, bathe, groom my-self so I can feel comfortable. I can't sleep at night if I haven't showered. When I do these things, I don't consider "gee, will this make me more appealing to women". I do it so I don't smell musty and feel sweaty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post

If I let my acne get out of control, or wear less appealing clothes Im getting snug looks, money being handed back to me via thrown on the counter top and slid to me to insure that the female cashier doesn't touch my hand.
OP, your experiences sound particularly sad man. Honestly either you've run into some real a-holes, or your doing something to offend these people and it's not your looks. I can understand a girl not wanting to date you but I can't understand her being blatantly disrespectful towards you. I haven't come across a woman being that rude to me for no reason since high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2013, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
21,188 posts, read 21,507,083 times
Reputation: 22173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Seriously....?
Yes - seriously. If someone says that they want someone that they are compatible with and that they don't need someone really hot - but someone really hot happens to come along who they are super compatible with - then are they supposed to reject them for someone they aren't as compatible with who is less attractive so that they won't be considered a hypocrite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2013, 11:46 AM
 
2,761 posts, read 4,240,301 times
Reputation: 2988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
You know I wonder why some posters have such a horrific unlivable harsh place if you are unattractive or overweight. I do agree that more attractive people get more breaks then unattractive sometimes but the general tone of this thread seems to be that if you're not attractive you might as well crawl in a hole and die. The world isn't that brutal a place. There are good-looking people who don't treat those less attractive then them as inferior and unattractive people who don't get treated like crap.

As for self-improvement, self improvement is something that should be done for self. I exercise so I will be healthy, bathe, groom my-self so I can feel comfortable. I can't sleep at night if I haven't showered. When I do these things, I don't consider "gee, will this make me more appealing to women". I do it so I don't smell musty and feel sweaty.
OP, your experiences sound particularly sad man. Honestly either you've run into some real a-holes, or your doing something to offend these people and it's not your looks. I can understand a girl not wanting to date you but I can't understand her being blatantly disrespectful towards you. I haven't come across a woman being that rude to me for no reason since high school.


Anxiety is an interesting thing.

I had a job one time, in which me and another co-worker were discussing something. A woman who worked in marketing came over, and interrupted us. She had a quick question and was on her way.

Before she walked away, she says, "Do you have a pen i can use?"
I was relatively new at the time, her and i never spoke, and we worked on separate ends of the building.
I offered her my basically brand new pen, and said, "I have one".

She looked at the other guy, who she knew much better, and said, "I'll use that one."
It was his pen she used, and she completely ignored me like i wasnt there or offered her a pen.

Did she intend to be rude? Did my pen have cooties on it ? Why was his pen ok, and my pen not-ok ?

Social dynamics are really weird.

People have ONS all the time, and exchange body fluids, but my pen, that was basically brand new, (without chew marks mind you) wasnt good enough, and she actually went out of her way to use the other guys pen.

People are crazy, and beer is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2013, 11:48 AM
 
Location: SoCal again
16,898 posts, read 13,615,487 times
Reputation: 33454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Even though you are going to hate me for what I am saying now - but if I would be an employer (and I am not) and I get applicants, I would rather hire a thin person as an obese person. I would think that if a person doesn't have discipline/willpower with him/herself, he/she probably doesn't have discipline at work or any other aspects in his/her life either. Plus he/she is probably moving slower = less work gets done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2013, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Middle America
37,222 posts, read 43,424,828 times
Reputation: 51910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Everyone acts like ugliness isn't a big deal. People act as if ugliness doesn't play a major part or hindrance in less attractive people's lives. People get treated on how they look. Attractive people get more privileges and get away with alot more things in general then their less attractive counterparts.
Maybe people just have (shocker) different tastes in regard to what they consider ugly or attractive. I could post a pic of someone I think is attractive, and within five minutes, there would be any number of posts replying, some of which would undoubtedly say, "Really? I think he/she's ugly." Just because YOU THINK somebody's ugly, that doesn't mean others do. So much is subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2013, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
21,188 posts, read 21,507,083 times
Reputation: 22173
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Even though you are going to hate me for what I am saying now - but if I would be an employer (and I am not) and I get applicants, I would rather hire a thin person as an obese person. I would think that if a person doesn't have discipline/willpower with him/herself, he/she probably doesn't have discipline at work or any other aspects in his/her life either. Plus he/she is probably moving slower = less work gets done.
Lovely. Unless you need someone who runs really fast - I don't see how this would be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top