Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:17 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,275 times

Advertisements

Everyone acts like ugliness isn't a big deal. People act as if ugliness doesn't play a major part or hindrance in less attractive people's lives. People get treated on how they look. Attractive people get more privileges and get away with alot more things in general then their less attractive counterparts.

Superficial beauty is ingrained in our society to be the most important quality in people.

Why do people deny this? Is the truth to harsh to bare?

Less attractive men have less active sex lives, fewer friends and on average make less money.
This statement is objective.
Whats my point?

The truth is most people care about what someone looks like then what they have to say. As long as your not a total nut job, or mentally handicapped the better you look the better your life will be as long as you have common sense and some wit about you.

If your one of those 30 year old virgins maybe the problem isn't your game, maybe the problem is in the mirror.

In fact alot of people HATE ugly people just for the mere fact your ugly. They do not want to be associated with them, talk to them, touch them, or even acknowledge them. Women especially hate ugly men especially the really attractive women.

What society also doesn't tell you is that someone who is deemed ugly is permanently ugly which is also a lie. Unless you are physically deformed EVERYONE has the potential to look good. EVERYONE HAS UNIQUE CHARACTERISTICS AND AN INNER BEAUTY THAT CAN BE BROUGHT TO LIFE WITH PROPER MAINTENANCE. Imagine Hallie berry with acne all over her face, discolored teeth, discolored skin, and overweight with stretch marks. She has to maintain her image. Cosmetics has come a LOOONg way. I'm not talking nose jobs or lipal suction. I'm talking about braces or teeth whitening. Hitting the gym and using the proper facial cleaner products.

The point is....society is focused on how you present yourself and what you look like. Now bring on the flames and denial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 09:24 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
There's an old expression...

pretty is as pretty does.

I can't speak for all of society, and yes I know there are plenty of superficial folks in it who put too much importance on physical looks, but I personally live by that expression above.

I find folks attractive based on who they are, not what they look like. I am not the only one.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:25 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
We do place a high premium on appearance, but to say people actively hate unattractive people may be a bit of a stretch. I'm sure someone out there does, but those are outliers. If this is an area of concern to you my best advice is accept that you can't control someone else's behavior. All you can do is hold yourself to a high enough standard and avoid being guilty of what you've described.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:29 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
I don't know anyone who hates ugly people because they are ugly. Maybe high school kids but beyond that - I don't think so. Is life easier if you are more attractive? Yes. Is life doomed if you are not attractive? Only if you let it be.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:31 PM

448 posts, read 764,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Everyone acts like ugliness isn't a big deal. People act as if ugliness doesn't play a major part or hindrance in less attractive people's life. People get treated on how they look. Attractive people get more privileges and get away with alot more things in general then their less attractive counterparts.

Superficial beauty is ingrained in our society to be the most important quality in people.

Less attractive men have less active sex lives, fewer friends and on average make less money.
Whats my point?

The truth is most people care about what someone looks like then what they have to say. As long as your not a total nut job, or mentally handicapped the better you look the better your life will be as long as you have common sense and some wit about you.

If your one of those 30 year old virgins maybe the problem isn't your game, maybe the problem is in the mirror.

In fact alot of people HATE ugly people just for the mere fact your ugly. They do not want to be associated with them, talk to them, touch them, or even acknowledge them. Women especially hate ugly men.

What society also doesn't tell you is that someone who is deemed ugly is permentantly ugly which is also a lie. Unless you are physically deformed EVERYONE has the potential to look good. EVERYONE HAS UNIQUE CHARACTERISTICS AND AN INNER BEAUTY THAT CAN BE BROUGHT TO LIFE WITH PROPER MAINTENANCE. Imagine Hallie berry with acne all over her face, discolored teeth, discolored skin, and overweight with stretch marks. Cosmetics has come a LOOONg way. I'm not talking nose jobs or lipal suction. I'm talking about braces or teeth whitening. Hitting the gym and using the proper facial cleaner products.

The point is....society is focused on how you present yourself and what you look like. Now bring on the flames and denial.
Assuming were talking about the opposite gender here.

I'll say this much. I don't like ugly people that bring it on themselves, I have no sympathy for most fat people and people with a bunch of ugly tattoos, they knew what they were doing 95% of the time. I also agree that people with those traits have ****ty lives.

At the same time I am not going to make professional judgments about someone who is just naturally less attractive but still tries to look as nice as they can and is respectable. I can't speak for other people but I'm not going to discriminate in a professional environment because Jenny has a crooked nose or something.

Finally I only go for attractive women. End of story. I want what I want and if she doesn't meet that standard its not happening. That's not all I care about either just so you know.

EDIT: Not to say I hate people that made themselves ugly but I also really do not feel bad for them one bit.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:36 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
I'm not going to deny that attractive people benefit in a lot of ways compared to their average-looking or below average-looking counterparts. It's the truth. But I wouldn't go as far as to say attractive people, as a whole, hate or dislike "ugly people" simply on the basis of their being less than attractive.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:51 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,819 times
Quote:
Everyone acts like ugliness isn't a big deal. People act as if ugliness doesn't play a major part or hindrance in less attractive people's lives. People get treated on how they look. Attractive people get more privileges and get away with alot more things in general then their less attractive counterparts.

Whats my point?

In fact alot of people HATE ugly people just for the mere fact your ugly. They do not want to be associated with them, talk to them, touch them, or even acknowledge them. Women especially hate ugly men especially the really attractive women.

What society also doesn't tell you is that someone who is deemed ugly is permanently ugly which is also a lie. Unless you are physically deformed EVERYONE has the potential to look good. EVERYONE HAS UNIQUE CHARACTERISTICS AND AN INNER BEAUTY THAT CAN BE BROUGHT TO LIFE WITH PROPER MAINTENANCE. Imagine Hallie berry with acne all over her face, discolored teeth, discolored skin, and overweight with stretch marks. She has to maintain her image. Cosmetics has come a LOOONg way. I'm not talking nose jobs or lipal suction. I'm talking about braces or teeth whitening. Hitting the gym and using the proper facial cleaner products.

I think you're missing the mark here.

Few people object when somone considers beauty when choosing a romantic partner. It is usually taken for granted that beauty factors into that.

What people object to is beauty being considered in contexts where it should be irrelevant, like the workplace. I'll give you a famous example.

Back in 1995, during the O.J. Simpson trial, the press payed an inordinate amount of attention to what lead attorney Marcia Clark wore, how she did her hair, whether she looked tired or refreshed, etc. It was absurd. Clark was the lead prosecutor in a murder trial, not a runway model. Why all this attention to what she looked like? Of course, no one in the press said anything about Lee Bailey's weight, Robert Kardashian's hairline or Johnny Cochran's neckties. Clearly, the media was obsessed with Marcia Clark's appearance because she was female.

You can go ahead and throw up your hands and say, "That's just how it is," but people are not going to accept that. A lot of what people think is "just the way it is" is, in fact, socially conditioned behavior. And what is learned can be unlearned, provided it gets challenged.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:46 PM

284 posts, read 641,305 times
i disagree.

beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

what i consider ugly may not be your ugly.
what you consider beauty may not be my standard of beauty.

for example these two

therefore, you have no point.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:30 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:

Whats my point?

Try some humor dude. You always seem to come on here dragging a podium to stand on ranting and raving about something man. I hear humor works wonders with the ladies. What good is being good looking if you don't know how to mellow out once in a while?

Old 11-20-2013, 12:34 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Pity parties aren't attractive, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty