Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 04:28 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times

Advertisements

[quote=oh-eve;32312845]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Thanks for using someone's opinion, now allow me to fulfill my promise and lay waste to your arguement with numbers and ACTUAL STATISTICS.

"Researchers at the London School of Economics studied 52,000 people in the U.K. and U.S., and their results were conclusive: Attractive men have IQs 13.6 points above average, while attractive women score 11.4 points higher."

I could post enough evidence to take up another 6 pages of thread. Like I said you spew out false information on how the world works. Not to be offensive but your part of the problem. Sweeping problems under rug doesn't mean its going to go away.

Now go beat him up, please.

Sorry Veyron.

You gon be ugly again. LOL!!!

I do admit, he does come off aggressive in his wording in some cases.

I do find this to be an interesting topic. I do believe (and have seen) that looks do play a factor. But one thing I also realize is the subjectivity of beauty (when people are truly honest with themselves). A lot of what we find attractive is greatly influenced by the media.

I myself admit, even I react to the people I'm more attracted to (internally). I try not to show preference, but I don't know if I actually have or not. I'd like to think I treated everyone equally.

We just have similar experiences.

It is more like the extent that we have seen of behavioral differences as it relates to people of varying levels of perceived attractiveness that makes us notice, especially when it is the same person.

I have read about a lot of theories about issues like this.

But Oh eve, Ro2113, Prince Frog, non-creep, others I personally appreciate your contributions to this thread.

Big Thanks to Veyron for starting this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
I think it's harsh to blame people for the way they are. A lifetime of torment, exclusion and rejection takes a lot to overcome.
And some people never overcome it.

All we can do is be compassionate...

...At the same time, do not let anyone take advantage of you.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:36 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,445 times
This thread is funny to me. Unless you are auditioning for Wonder Woman in Hollywood, your looks dont matter much outside of Hollywood, modelling etc.

In real life, people get by because they either can contribute something to a company eg skills, degree qualifications etc. And in real life PERSONALITY is everything!

Outside of Hollywood, everyone is attractive to some one else!

Old 11-20-2013, 04:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
yes pretty people get the prize. work to improve yourself. helen rubenstein says there are no ugly women only lazy ones.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:37 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I have been ugly until I was 16 and started to become womanly and didn't have to wear my older sisters worn clothes anymore, with bears sewn to it, ugh.. I got a real hair cut. I took off my glasses and wore contacts. I walked upright and with pride instead of trying to hide my almost 6ft of insecurity. It made such a difference. The guys who laughed about me before suddenly wanted to date me and I laughed into their faces.

But why keep holding a grudge forever? Get over yourself and make the best possible out of you.

I think alot can be achieved by the way you carry yourself, how you dress, put some effort in your appearance, get rid of acne, etc. etc. Nobody who takes care of him/herself is really ugly. If you let yourself go and become a bitter person like Veyron shows me in every post, plus attacking people - of course nobody likes you or wants to hire you.

You holding a grudge to everybody just makes you internally ugly, which in turn displays on the outside as well. Nobody wants to be around a complainer.

Now I am really out, time to wake up and go home.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:39 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes pretty people get the prize. work to improve yourself. helen rubenstein says there are no ugly women only lazy ones.

so TRUE!!!

Old 11-20-2013, 04:45 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
And some people never overcome it.

All we can do is be compassionate...

...At the same time, do not let anyone take advantage of you.
The easy thing for people to do is dismiss it or put the blame on the victim. In some cases tough love works, but in other cases it may even exacerbate the problem and force the individual even further into their shell. It doesn't help that the creepy thing is banded around way too often. That will just about kill any shot of confidence that an unattractive person may have had.

My views may be extreme, but I honesty feel that cosmetic surgery should be free for those who need it and those who are really psychologically damaged by years of torment should have the right to die. It is that extreme for people:

Too ugly for this world. | the suicide project - suicide stories

I want to kill myself because I'm ugly.

Face is deformed, people stare, i'm broke. Can't handle it. : SuicideWatch

I hope that you take the time to read the links I provided. It is sad that people have to endure such cruelty so a little sympathy rather than the bootstrap type stuff wouldn't go amiss.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
The easy thing for people to do is dismiss it or put the blame on the victim. In some cases tough love works, but in other cases it may even exacerbate the problem and force the individual even further into their shell. It doesn't help that the creepy thing is banded around way too often. That will just about kill any shot of confidence that an unattractive person may have had.

My views may be extreme, but I honesty feel that cosmetic surgery should be free for those who need it and those who are really psychologically damaged by years of torment should have the right to die. It is that extreme for people:

Too ugly for this world. | the suicide project - suicide stories

I want to kill myself because I'm ugly.

Face is deformed, people stare, i'm broke. Can't handle it. : SuicideWatch

I hope that you take the time to read the links I provided. It is sad that people have to endure such cruelty so a little sympathy rather than the bootstrap type stuff wouldn't go amiss.
I've had both of the bolded happen.

But I have read through these links and wow. These are sad. World can be extremely cruel in many different ways. Some people come out of it permanently damaged. I didn't expect to overcome what I went through, but I seem to be coming along.

I still expect my former life, even though a lot has changed.

I do sadly agree with what you say about the psychologically damaged. I'd rather kill myself than someone else. Some people are so psychologically damaged to the point of being deadly. Again, this is not their own fault, I put blame on the tormentors. You also never know what the trigger is. (At least in my case).

Last edited by TJenkins602; 11-20-2013 at 05:18 PM..

Old 11-20-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have been ugly until I was 16 and started to become womanly and didn't have to wear my older sisters worn clothes anymore, with bears sewn to it, ugh.. I got a real hair cut. I took off my glasses and wore contacts. I walked upright and with pride instead of trying to hide my almost 6ft of insecurity. It made such a difference. The guys who laughed about me before suddenly wanted to date me and I laughed into their faces.

But why keep holding a grudge forever? Get over yourself and make the best possible out of you.

I think alot can be achieved by the way you carry yourself, how you dress, put some effort in your appearance, get rid of acne, etc. etc. Nobody who takes care of him/herself is really ugly. If you let yourself go and become a bitter person like Veyron shows me in every post, plus attacking people - of course nobody likes you or wants to hire you.

You holding a grudge to everybody just makes you internally ugly, which in turn displays on the outside as well. Nobody wants to be around a complainer.

Now I am really out, time to wake up and go home.
I got to get back to work, myself.

BTW, I'm not holding any kind of grudge. I hope you are not reading that into any of my posts. I'm just intrigued by the topic and sharing my experiences. As a matter of fact, I kinda find it amusing... having an idea of the kind of control I have over my situation.

A lot of the people who suddenly started warming up to me got a bewildered "hi" at worst.

Now be safe.

Last edited by TJenkins602; 11-20-2013 at 05:15 PM..

Old 11-20-2013, 06:07 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,015,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
This thread is funny to me. Unless you are auditioning for Wonder Woman in Hollywood, your looks dont matter much outside of Hollywood, modelling etc.

In real life, people get by because they either can contribute something to a company eg skills, degree qualifications etc. And in real life PERSONALITY is everything!

Outside of Hollywood, everyone is attractive to some one else!
Are you 12?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty