Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 02:29 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times

Advertisements

If men prefer curvy women why are most models more thin than curvy?

Is it women who don't like curves and prefer to look at or to be thin instead?

Even some of the Victoria's Secret models are not voluptuous by any means and when not wearing high-heels and push-up bras are more slim than curvy.

Victoria's Secret model Candice Swanepoel:

Top fashion model Karlie Kloss:

What do you think?

Last edited by picmod; 01-09-2014 at 04:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 02:44 PM

184 posts, read 702,922 times
1] fashion models are not modelling for the pleasure of men. think about the purpose of fashion modelling. think about who is attending fashion shows and reading fashion magazines.

2] not all men prefer curvy. there is no universal standard for beauty.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:49 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,792 times
I personally think the rail thin look is awful. I'm not a man, but looking sickly is not a good look.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:55 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
High fashion models are supposed to wear haute couture clothing well, not necessarily titillate.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:57 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
I personally think the rail thin look is awful. I'm not a man, but looking sickly is not a good look.

That is irrelevant. The fact is that women who care about fashion and style generally take care of themselves physically, and tend to be slim. Therefore, businesses in the marketplace respond to their primary clientele by choosing models that reflect their consumers.

I'd much rather see a skinny model than some grotesque (aka fat) model or a curvy model

Old 09-25-2012, 03:17 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,933 times
Fashion designers do not see women the same way that men do--so they are not looking to display curves and a sexy body.

They see women as a means to display the clothing they design. A flat, lean body is the best way to display clothing, with no curves and bulges getting in the way.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:19 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
That is irrelevant. The fact is that women who care about fashion and style generally take care of themselves physically, and tend to be slim. Therefore, businesses in the marketplace respond to their primary clientele by choosing models that reflect their consumers.

I'd much rather see a skinny model than some grotesque (aka fat) model or a curvy model
The model lifestyle is not conducive to good health at all. If you ever do a little digging on how a typical model lived during the height of their popularity they tend to say:
I smoked
I did drugs
I had lots of champagne
I traveled all the time
I never had time for proper meals/nutrition
I sometimes got to exercise
I never slept
I drank lots of coffee/energy drinks

If you are looking for healthy women, living healthy lifestyles, you'll want to look outside the modeling industry. Modeling is good for thinness, not health. And many many studies show that thinness is not a clear indicator of actual health. Maybe 1 in 10 models actually lives a healthy lifestyle while they are modeling. Many models don't make enough money to live well. They sleep in model apartments with 10 other models waiting for their big break, and barely breaking even.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I was chatting with a friend about models recently, and we were talking about how much thinner models are now than in let's say the 90s, at the height of the super model.

When she worked in fashion (her local scene), the sample size was 6 or 8. Not 0 or 00 like it is now. (Even with the size inflation over the past few years, that is more like a 4 not a 0).

If you look at the measurements of women like Naomi, Cindy Crawford, Linda Evagelista.... they were typically around 34-24-35. For all of the "top" models. Not it is more like 31-22-32. A whole lot smaller. I wonder what caused the shift.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:37 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ataraxia View Post
1] fashion models are not modelling for the pleasure of men. think about the purpose of fashion modelling. think about who is attending fashion shows and reading fashion magazines.

2] not all men prefer curvy. there is no universal standard for beauty.
I agree with this....and DoneWithDallas, I agree with you too, and I consider your personal preference relevant.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:37 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Models (particularly one's hired by haute couture designers) are no more than "hangers" for the designers clothing. Their sole professional purpose is to make the designers clothes look and move they way they design without distraction. They are not thin for the pleasure and approval of men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty