U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:47 PM

27,330 posts, read 30,540,296 times

Advertisements

I don't wear blazers often due to fit issues. In order to fit my bust I need to go up a few sizes which causes fit issues elsewhere. Then it takes tailoring equivalent to more than the cost of the jacket to get a good fit.

It can be very difficult to get a good fit if you don't have the shape / proportions of the fit model used. I find it difficult to get pants since I have bigger thighs. I usually stick with skinny pants or skirts/dresses for that reason and do not bother with pants for "professional" wear.

There are a few reasons I think this happens.

Some people confuse dressing up with dressing professionally. They think if they would wear it to a party it is suitable for work (one of my coworkers is notorious for this).

Clothing is made cheaply and you cannot disguise fit issues.

Since professional work attire is uncommon, no one knows what it is anymore.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 02:10 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,367,128 times
Quote:
Professional work attire = no cleavage, no skirts that fall mid-thigh, no heavy make-up or bright eye-shadow colors, no platform shoes/boots/heels, no stilettos, clean clothes, no spillage from sizes too small, no jeans, no skull caps or hats. Chords, blouses, sweaters, button down shirts, khaki's are acceptable.

It also depends on where you live and what company you work for. I've interviewed at places that required a blazer and nylons. Decided not to work there.

I've been working business professional/casual l for almost 15 years now.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Professional work attire = no cleavage, no skirts that fall mid-thigh, no heavy make-up or bright eye-shadow colors, no platform shoes/boots/heels, no stilettos, clean clothes, no spillage from sizes too small, no jeans, no skull caps or hats. Chords, blouses, sweaters, button down shirts, khaki's are acceptable.

It also depends on where you live and what company you work for. I've interviewed at places that required a blazer and nylons. Decided not to work there.

I've been working business professional/casual l for almost 15 years now.
It's not so hard and fast in California. Stilettos/platforms aren't an issue. There is an upper limit on heel height, not style. Cleavage isn't an issue, but excessive cleavage is. Nylons are never required. Jeans and hoodies are very common. Business professional is rare in the tech space.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:03 PM

16,833 posts, read 14,560,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBabbleL View Post
mini-rant... and questions...

I work in a building that has some 1300 employees, mostly female. I am older than the majority.

What is with these women wearing skin tight clothing? It just looks like they bought it a size too small or gained 20 lbs.

If you can't button your jacket, its too small. If your skirt clings to your thighs and shows horizontal 'pull' marks in the center, its too tight. If you can't wear underwear b/c of VPL, or you have to peeeeeel your pants down to use the restroom, its too tight. If you are constantly pulling at your blouse buttons to keep them closed, its too tight.

and... you're be more comfortable in clothing that fits correctly.

next up: 'get-off-my-lawn!" geez, I feel old.
I agree. I also think this is an issue for all figure types (though clearly it is more obvious on those who are overweight). No one looks professional in skin tight clothing.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:05 PM

16,833 posts, read 14,560,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't wear blazers often due to fit issues. In order to fit my bust I need to go up a few sizes which causes fit issues elsewhere. Then it takes tailoring equivalent to more than the cost of the jacket to get a good fit.

It can be very difficult to get a good fit if you don't have the shape / proportions of the fit model used. I find it difficult to get pants since I have bigger thighs. I usually stick with skinny pants or skirts/dresses for that reason and do not bother with pants for "professional" wear.

There are a few reasons I think this happens.

Some people confuse dressing up with dressing professionally. They think if they would wear it to a party it is suitable for work (one of my coworkers is notorious for this).

Clothing is made cheaply and you cannot disguise fit issues.

Professionals get paid enough to invest in a few quality pieces, like blazers, that should be tailored well and thus fit well. If it doesn't fit well, then they shouldn't buy it until they can afford to buy a quality piece that can be tailored.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Professionals get paid enough to invest in a few quality pieces, like blazers, that should be tailored well and thus fit well. If it doesn't fit well, then they shouldn't buy it until they can afford to buy a quality piece that can be tailored.
Maybe maybe not. Depends on your dress code. I've been trying to justify buying a perfect fitting blazer for about 15 years now. The cost per wear isn't worth it for me. I wear a conventional blazer once a year if I am lucky. It turns out it was a better investment to get a more casual/fun/trendy one since blazers are not required in region. As a result I've got a boxy tweed blazer, a knit one and a decent fitting black suit that I wear once a year. Spending $200 on a blazer and $140 on tailoring for that once a year piece is a waste of money for my lifestyle and work environment. I'll stick with cardigans, blouses and pencil skirts.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:28 PM

12,349 posts, read 20,956,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Maybe maybe not. Depends on your dress code. I've been trying to justify buying a perfect fitting blazer for about 15 years now. The cost per wear isn't worth it for me. I wear a conventional blazer once a year if I am lucky. It turns out it was a better investment to get a more casual/fun/trendy one since blazers are not required in region. As a result I've got a boxy tweed blazer, a knit one and a decent fitting black suit that I wear once a year. Spending $200 on a blazer and $140 on tailoring for that once a year piece is a waste of money for my lifestyle and work environment. I'll stick with cardigans, blouses and pencil skirts.

Jade -- Stonemountain and Daughter have great sewing classes. Learn to do a FBA (Full Bust Adjustment) and make your own!

Sewing Classes at Stonemountain

Old 12-05-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Jade -- Stonemountain and Daughter have great sewing classes. Learn to do a FBA (Full Bust Adjustment) and make your own!

Sewing Classes at Stonemountain
Might be fun. Not sure if I had time though.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:42 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,066,645 times
Am lucky enough to work in a place where most of the women (and men) I work with wear loose-fitting hospital scrubs. No tight-fitting "spray-on" garments here. Lucky too, because some of them would definitely NOT look good in tight-fitting clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty