U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 10:49 AM

16,980 posts, read 13,721,558 times

Advertisements

I find it disrespectful to call a person a different name as he/she introduced herself with.

It is not my place to give them a name that is more convenient for me.

I don't have any nicknames, I am Evelyn.

I recently met somebody and he said, "I call you EVE". I said "No, my name is E-VE-LYN". He said, "Eve is shorter and cuter". WTF???? I said, "If my name is too complicated for you, just don't talk to me".

When I was a kid, other kids tried to give me nicknames. I just didn't react when they called me and they gave up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Status: "We don't have to wait to start changing the world." (set 8 days ago)

48,447 posts, read 38,846,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I find it disrespectful to call a person a different name as he/she introduced herself with.

It is not my place to give them a name that is more convenient for me.

I don't have any nicknames, I am Evelyn.

I recently met somebody and he said, "I call you EVE". I said "No, my name is E-VE-LYN". He said, "Eve is shorter and cuter". WTF???? I said, "If my name is too complicated for you, just don't talk to me".

When I was a kid, other kids tried to give me nicknames. I just didn't react when they called me and they gave up.

When I met my husband, he used the name Mike, but his business card and email signature said Michael, so I asked if I could call him Michael because I think Michael is such a beautiful name. His face broke out in the biggest grin! Come to find out, so many people over so many years had pretty much insisted on calling him Mike that he just went along with it. But he prefers Michael. That being said, most work associates do call him Mike - and apparently he's OK with it in some settings.

I prefer my full name, and like you, I simply do not respond when people try to shorten it. If they insist, well then I just have to set them straight. Amazing to me how many people are "taken aback" that I'm so insistent -as if I'm the one out of line! Hell, it's MY name - YOU call ME what I prefer. Damn! I think it's very rude for others to try to insist on calling someone by a nickname. In fact, it's weird. The only possible exception would be a name that's so difficult to pronounce that people simply can't manage it usually - but surely those are very isolated incidents. I mean - call Matthews Matthew, not Matt. Call Michaels Michael, not Mike. Call Kathryns Kathryn, not Cathy. It's just not that hard.

Gotta establish healthy boundaries!

Old 11-26-2013, 12:46 PM

yeah, if my parents managed to call me by my complete name throughout my whole childhood, then any other person can call me by my full name as well. I told people before who kept forgetting my "oh so complicated name" they should just call me DUDE.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:59 AM

4,294 posts, read 3,294,566 times
My legal name is Daniel and I don't mind being called Daniel. I have always preferred Dan though. I hate the nickname Danny. I consider all nicknames that end in "Y" to be demeaning. I see them as the English equivalency of the use of the ito/ita suffixes in Spanish. Since my father is also named Daniel/Dan I was called Danny as a child to distinguish me from my father and eliminate confusion when we were both home. To this day I will only tolerate being called Danny by a very small subset of people, pretty much my mother and sister as old habits are hard to break. If someone who is non-family calls me Danny I would have to exercise extreme restraint not to punch them in the face.

I also have a common last name that is often abbreviated with different versions depending on child birth order. My family does not follow that custom, however co-workers and acquaintances have often assumed I came from a family which did follow the custom. I despise the nickname associated with the first born as it ends in "Y." I have a current coworker who calls me the nickname associated with the second born and I don't mind it even though it is technically incorrect as I am the first born.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:33 AM

Danny sounds like a little boy. Daniel or Dan sounds like a man. Same with Mikey, Ricky, Ronny, Lonnie ...

Old 11-27-2013, 11:43 AM

4,866 posts, read 6,812,612 times
I once had a supervisor who thought it was quite funny to create unique nicknames for all of us in the office. I can't recall any of them now, but she would take your name and then make a nickname based on words that rhyme with it or something like that. So it was a nickname that sounded like a strange variation of your name.

I detested the one that she made up for me.

So one day I created one for her and whenever I would see her I would use that nickname for her.

I noticed that soon after that she stopped using a nickname when she spoke to me.

I think she thought it was just cute and funny when she started doing it, but I think when she was on the receiving end, she realized what it felt like to be called a childish nickname in a professional setting.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I once had a supervisor who thought it was quite funny to create unique nicknames for all of us in the office. I can't recall any of them now, but she would take your name and then make a nickname based on words that rhyme with it or something like that. So it was a nickname that sounded like a strange variation of your name.

I detested the one that she made up for me.

So one day I created one for her and whenever I would see her I would use that nickname for her.

I noticed that soon after that she stopped using a nickname when she spoke to me.

I think she thought it was just cute and funny when she started doing it, but I think when she was on the receiving end, she realized what it felt like to be called a childish nickname in a professional setting.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:41 PM

293 posts, read 388,982 times
Jay Jay. Droid. Jay.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:44 PM

4,294 posts, read 3,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Danny sounds like a little boy. Daniel or Dan sounds like a man. Same with Mikey, Ricky, Ronny, Lonnie ...
Exactly! Growing up I always admired other boys named Christopher. Their nickname was Chris and only Chris. Chrissy was for the girls.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:35 PM

A friend of mine named her son LONNIE. When he was grown, he said to her "how could you have named me Lonnie? Nobody expects anything serious from a Lonnie. Ever heard of a politician or doctor whose name is LONNIE?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty