U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 08:14 PM

18,434 posts, read 30,086,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Oh the 1st World problems we have.
Look. (lol) My son's name is Alexander and I love the name, and I do not like the name 'Alex' and it drives me nuts when people shorten his name. He doesn't like it either, but like the OP, he doesn't want to say anything and sound like a jerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 07:53 AM

832 posts, read 1,418,987 times
I used to care when I was five years old. I am named after another relative who used the diminutive, so my whole family used the diminutive for me as well. At that age I wanted to be "different" and I didn't like the association with the older relative who, even back then, I knew was...different! Haha. Anyway almost everyone calls me by my birth (full) name, and I introduce myself as such. A few relatives still call me the diminutive but I don't correct them anymore. I'm used to having a weird last name so I don't get sensitive over people pronouncing any of my names incorrectly, as long as they're not being jerks (after having weird names all my life I can tell who's trying and who's not).

For a long time at work a coworker called me Amanda, which is definitely [I]not[/I] my name but I never corrected her. I thought it was funny.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:53 PM

6,461 posts, read 8,082,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Danny sounds like a little boy. Daniel or Dan sounds like a man. Same with Mikey, Ricky, Ronny, Lonnie ...
LOL Sounds like you just watched Good Will Hunting in which he names his 12 fictitious brothers: Marky, Ricky, Danny, Terry, Mikey, Davey, Timmy, Tommy, Joey, Robby, Johnny and Brian.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:00 PM

7,377 posts, read 13,651,920 times
Yeah. "Tripod".
Hate it because I have so many other attributes.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:14 PM

27,330 posts, read 30,560,504 times
My sister has a nickname, and I never did. She always found hers to be a little bit embarrassing. So when I was in college she tried to make up a terrible nickname for me. I just ignored her when she used it. Eventually she dropped it.

Eventually she started a new nickname for me (Smiles). It sounds friendly enough, but her intent was evil, so I started calling her it as well. It is like our own private joke. People always think it is such a cute an nice nickname and we just laugh. Sometimes she does share the origin with people.

Now everyone has adopted it, our friends use it as a joke, my mom uses it too. And my sister's coworkers use it too!

Old 12-06-2013, 07:43 PM

19,116 posts, read 27,198,027 times
A good friend of mine was complaining that his real name was already a nickname and was bummed that he never got a real nickname. So...we gave him one. Unfortunately it stuck and it's pretty terrible so he's stuck with it....be careful what you wish for

I do have a few nicknames used by various people, and my siblings and I have a TON that we use for one another depending on the situation. My bf's phone autocorrected my name when he entered it and he thought it sounded pretty so he kept it and calls me by that name here and there. I also play RPGs here and there and have a specific name I use so I have people call me that name over my real name fairly often. Me and my dude also have a few random nicknames we use on one another....lately he's been calling me Catnip because of the Hunger Games books/movies..I'm apparently stubborn and look like I might shoot things

Old 12-06-2013, 08:10 PM

9,657 posts, read 17,903,103 times
When I was in the 7th grade, I moved with my family to a new town. One of my new classmates insisted on calling me "New Kid"... and it stuck, except then everyone else had to shorten it, so it became "Newk" for my buds. I never introduced myself as Newk, so when I moved away it disappeared. But then I signed onto my first "internet" bulletin board back in 1990. I had to pick something, and since I was new to the internet I signed on as Newk. Surprisingly, there are a few other Newks on the net, and I can't always use that, so there you have it, WyoNewk.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:28 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,551,526 times
My actual first name is Adithya, but most guys call me "Arrdi" in a gruff voice (I like that )though they actually intend to say Adi, yet girls call me "Adi" without any issues.

It was not forced, and kind of intentional in fact. I wanted to make life easy for a common American person to pronounce my name, and it hurts to hear my full name mispronounced. So, I always tell everyone to call me Adi.

I live in North Brunswick, NJ, hence my long username.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:43 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,551,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
A good friend of mine was complaining that his real name was already a nickname and was bummed that he never got a real nickname. So...we gave him one. Unfortunately it stuck and it's pretty terrible so he's stuck with it....be careful what you wish for

I do have a few nicknames used by various people, and my siblings and I have a TON that we use for one another depending on the situation. My bf's phone autocorrected my name when he entered it and he thought it sounded pretty so he kept it and calls me by that name here and there. I also play RPGs here and there and have a specific name I use so I have people call me that name over my real name fairly often. Me and my dude also have a few random nicknames we use on one another....lately he's been calling me Catnip because of the Hunger Games books/movies..I'm apparently stubborn and look like I might shoot things
You remind me a lot of my brother . Stubborn with that firm NO face, and called by your RPG character Name. My brother was always called "Brat" because that's what his name was in many RPG's (Except for Zelda the wind waker, where he named himself "koosumasgaba" to sound Japanese ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty