Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 07:00 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,687,962 times

Advertisements

I tried googling this and found lots of sites that would show people to walk that model catwalk --one foot stomped directly in front of the other-- but none that told me WHY models (or designers) need to walk like this. I sort of get why these beautiful women wearing beautiful clothes never smile -- you want the attention on the clothes an not the girl's face -- but why on earth should they have to clomp down the runway like horses with hemmorhoids?

Anybody know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 09:45 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,232,266 times
Probably because it forces the hips to sway. I just think it looks stupid, Period.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:32 AM

262 posts, read 544,589 times
You don't understand fashion, just stop.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:03 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,545,370 times
First, it gives movement to the bottom half of the clothes while keeping the front and shoulders relatively still, all the better to show off the fashion.

Secondly, it's a walk that gives the impression of extreme confidence, which is appealing to most people. Who wants to buy clothes that make the wearer look scared of her own shadow? The buyers sure don't!

Thirdly, the walk is quite fast -- these gals are very long legged and they cover a lot of ground with each stride, which also helps to give the clothing a sense of immediacy, which in turn projects "newness" to the buyers who are going to be making the choices of what goes into their stores.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:34 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,687,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
First, it gives movement to the bottom half of the clothes while keeping the front and shoulders relatively still, all the better to show off the fashion.

Secondly, it's a walk that gives the impression of extreme confidence, which is appealing to most people. Who wants to buy clothes that make the wearer look scared of her own shadow? The buyers sure don't!

Thirdly, the walk is quite fast -- these gals are very long legged and they cover a lot of ground with each stride, which also helps to give the clothing a sense of immediacy, which in turn projects "newness" to the buyers who are going to be making the choices of what goes into their stores.
Thanks. You seem to know. I can understand the first reason. But I guess my lack of fashion industry knowledge makes me wonder about No.2 -- I'd never call that walk "confident" . Also I don't quite see No. 3. --I don't understand why the walk projects "immediacy" and "newness" though it's plain that to do this walk fast and sometimes in heels must take practice.

But at least I guess I know now how fashion people think about this and why they make the girls walk that way.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 9,223 times
Default Why models walk that way

Actually that way the model walk is called catwalk. Generally to have the attention of the people over there, they have to walk like this.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:35 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,601,131 times

News reader cannot stop laughing at model falling over! - YouTube

Old 11-19-2013, 12:57 AM

570 posts, read 717,322 times
Lol that vid never gets old.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:11 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,601,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced Coffee View Post
Lol that vid never gets old.
I know. I laugh 'til I cry every single time.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:22 PM

18,356 posts, read 31,429,080 times
I too have always thought the walk was a little retarded, but I actually like to watch them walk the walk. I like Americans next top model, for some odd reason.

I just think sometime the shoes they make the girls wear, is almost cruel.

Bad enough they have to walk "like that", and have on clothes that look so uncomfortable, then have heals 2 feet high, I give them credit.

but the bad little boy in me, still likes to see them fall.

Runway Model Falls In Pool - YouTube

it looked like it really hurt though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty