U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 11:50 AM

11,882 posts, read 11,535,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
We don't keep the heat on at night since we have a very heavy warm comforter
No heat on at night in the Midwest . Hurricane sandy taught me that without heat anything north of South Carolina is inhabitable, and this was in early November. I fell sick once my home temperature stayed below 50 F for 5 straight days without power in spite of continuous layering. I would much rather live in the tropics without A/C than up here without heat. Never doing that again.

Under power disruption scenarios in winter, I wear 2 sweaters, long johns, 2 long sleeve shirts, a pair of sweatpants, and a hat to keep warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 12:15 PM

13,187 posts, read 8,061,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
No heat on at night in the Midwest . Hurricane sandy taught me that without heat anything north of South Carolina is inhabitable, and this was in early November. I fell sick once my home temperature stayed below 50 F for 5 straight days without power in spite of continuous layering. I would much rather live in the tropics without A/C than up here without heat. Never doing that again.

Under power disruption scenarios in winter, I wear 2 sweaters, long johns, 2 long sleeve shirts, a pair of sweatpants, and a hat to keep warm.
Well the house definitely doesn't get below 50, and if it did we definitely wouldn't let it stay that cold while at home for 5 days. The heat is only off at night because its already so warm underneath the covers. The 56F that it was this morning was the lowest it has been. Usually its somewhere around 60-62. My house is all brick, so it seems to warm up easily on sunny days.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:44 PM

293 posts, read 387,457 times
Eve gets best post in this thread. Anyone that walks around naked OUTSIDE of their house gets my respect.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Well the house definitely doesn't get below 50, and if it did we definitely wouldn't let it stay that cold while at home for 5 days. The heat is only off at night because its already so warm underneath the covers. The 56F that it was this morning was the lowest it has been. Usually its somewhere around 60-62. My house is all brick, so it seems to warm up easily on sunny days.
But, I am just wondering. Doesn't turning off your heat at night and turning it again in the morning waste a lot of energy . I usually do it the other way around if its warm enough during the day, so that the temperature balance is maintained. I too live in a brick house, but it always stays quite cool compared to others around me because my area is shrouded by trees which prevents the house from warming up. It has advantages in the summer though. I usually don't have to turn on the A/C unless there is a heat wave.

BTW, what blanket do you own. I would like to stay warm at night wearing as little as possible .

Old 11-27-2013, 01:19 PM

31 posts, read 60,513 times
A long-sleeved green T-shirt from my alma mater and gray sweatpants. Oh, and I put slippers on my feet in cold weather like we are experiencing now. It is so comfortable -- I could even sleep in this outfit!

Old 11-27-2013, 01:22 PM

13,187 posts, read 8,061,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
But, I am just wondering. Doesn't turning off your heat at night and turning it again in the morning waste a lot of energy . I usually do it the other way around if its warm enough during the day, so that the temperature balance is maintained. I too live in a brick house, but it always stays quite cool compared to others around me because my area is shrouded by trees which prevents the house from warming up. It has advantages in the summer though. I usually don't have to turn on the A/C unless there is a heat wave.

BTW, what blanket do you own. I would like to stay warm at night wearing as little as possible .
Like I said, the house keeps the heat in, so if I do turn on the heat (which normally is only in the evening) its only warming up a few degrees. Not a big deal. We don't have a lot of space to heat, and I would rather be comfortable at night then keeping the heat on and being too warm. Our electric usually is only about $10-$15 higher in the colder months when we are running the heat, so I doubt it wastes that much energy.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
We don't have a lot of space to heat, and I would rather be comfortable at night then keeping the heat on and being too warm
Do you live in an apartment by any chance. I hear some apartments have the problem of excessive heating. However, I have never heard about this issue in individual homes. My house isn't enormous either, so I guess its just that I am from the tropical India and adore warmth while you may be from a very cold place (perhaps Scandinavia, Alaska, or Canada) and cherish freezing cold. However, its the first time I am hearing somebody turn off their heat at night during the winter. Most people I know (including cold lovers) do it during the day in winter if its warm enough, since solar radiation offsets the loss of warmth.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:48 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,312,564 times
I live in the desert so typically just basketball shorts. If someone comes to the door I'll put a shirt on.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:59 PM

16,833 posts, read 14,550,458 times
Jeans and a tshirt in winter. Swap it for shorts in the summer.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:40 AM

269 posts, read 309,565 times
I never wear what I wear in the house out (and vice versa), unless it is to get ONE thing from the supermarket AND I'm in a rush OR very sick. I can't be comfortable in the house wearing even jeans - has to be sweatpants. When I lived in a hot climate it would be shorts/skirts in the summer, but not the type that I'd wear out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty