Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 12:56 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,158,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
What are you mummmmling? No woman have to shave her legs young or old.
First one was to mess up this thread for the sake of having fun like an immature 5 year old . I just wanted to say how fortunate guys were since we don't have to shave anything more than our facial hair. As mentioned, it is a prank intended to make people mad .

Second one tries to state something a bit deeper. It says that as you get old, don't stress immensely about looks and sacrifice it for comfort. Its not worth the extra effort and nobody is going to notice it anyways. If you feel more comfortable shaving your legs at older ages, then go right ahead and do so. But don't force yourself to do things because of assumptions on beauty pressure.

Young women should shave their legs because of society pressure and expectations regarding their looks & attire at work, in public spaces, and for social occasions. However, after a couple decades in life and on the verge of retirement, you will realize people slowly stop caring about how you look. At this point, you too have had enough of dressing up for looks and just want it to end at one point. Your thoughts are "If I am not appreciated by others for my looks, why should I continue beautifying myself". Once you reach this stage and have such feelings, you have been through a lot in life and should rejoice rest of life the way you want to, because now you have earned the right to do so. Hopefully, your significant other would have also matured with you by this point and most probably understands your deep feelings as well .

I apologize if my words sound confusing, yet my gut feeling is as expressed in the paragraph above. Sometimes, thoughts do not exactly translate into words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 01:11 PM

2,729 posts, read 2,687,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
First one was to mess up this thread for the sake of having fun like an immature 5 year old . I just wanted to say how fortunate guys were since we don't have to shave anything more than our facial hair. As mentioned, it is a prank intended to make people mad .

Second one tries to state something a bit deeper. It says that as you get old, don't stress immensely about looks and sacrifice it for comfort. Its not worth the extra effort and nobody is going to notice it anyways. If you feel more comfortable shaving your legs at older ages, then go right ahead and do so. But don't force yourself to do things because of assumptions on beauty pressure.

Young women should shave their legs because of society pressure and expectations regarding their looks & attire at work, in public spaces, and for social occasions. However, after a couple decades in life and on the verge of retirement, you will realize people slowly stop caring about how you look. At this point, you too have had enough of dressing up for looks and just want it to end at one point. Your thoughts are "If I am not appreciated by others for my looks, why should I continue beautifying myself". Once you reach this stage and have such feelings, you have been through a lot in life and should rejoice rest of life the way you want to, because now you have earned the right to do so. Hopefully, your significant other would have also matured with you by this point and most probably understands your deep feelings as well .

I apologize if my words sound confusing, yet my gut feeling is as expressed in the paragraph above. Sometimes, thoughts do not exactly translate into words.
I don't care how you translate, I don't sometimes understand my own translations either. Despite of that you DO sound like you DO believe especially young women have to shave. Also you DO sound like you look at this not from individuals eyes but through other peoples eyes and judgement. You also seem to think this is something only about looks "If you don't shave- you don't care about your looks".

Grow older, immature 5 year old and learn there is also guys which prefer hairy women, there is women who do care about their looks but also prefer hair on their body, some women can think all by themselves they don't need others to tell should they shave their legs or not. There is lot of other points too but I will wait your 7 years birthday, try to learn these for starters.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:58 PM

389 posts, read 690,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Ladies, one small question.

Once you get older and your skin starts wrinkling, isn't it a pain to shave.

My grandma is 78 and usually never shaves her legs at all. One of my cousin sisters asked her why. She says "I am very old and at this age nobody is going to care about my looks anyways. I just want to lead a comfortable life without pain. Shaving hair off my wrinkly legs is extremely painful and worthless" and divulged all this information to us without any embarrassment . I agree with her wholeheartedly though. At older ages, just do what makes you comfortable and don't exert yourself on the basis of looks. Live a happy and stress free life and just let nature do what it does. Its not worth the pain fighting it.
As you age you grow less and less hair. Most elderly women don't shave, but they also don't have any more body hair (including leg hair), either.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:46 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,344,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
I do, just not as often.
This^

Much less frequently in winter than in summer-it's not on a regular schedule, it's more like when I notice it's gotten "excessive" (in my opinion).
If I go without shaving my legs for too long, then it's harder to get an effective job done the next time
(and it'll take 2 shaves to get it done thoroughly). So I do it every so often, just to keep it down to manageable level.

Having a medical appt. where my legs will be visible gives me an incentive to bother with doing it,
since otherwise no one else is likely to be privy to the condition of my legs.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:45 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,466,479 times
I shave every day no matter the season, but it's just personal preference. I hate sleeping with prickly legs, lol.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:24 AM

20,699 posts, read 19,851,784 times
I shave no matter what.

If I crash with my motorcycle and they cut my pants open, I want to impress the medics with my long, shaved (and maybe bloody) legs.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:06 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,111,525 times
You people got to me LOL.

I shaved this morning in the shower. Let's see if I keep it going until it starts warming up (I'm in Michigan so that's about five or six months from now.)

Old 12-05-2013, 09:45 AM

393 posts, read 780,652 times
I shave almost as much as in the summer..if I didn't have a husband around, I'd do it less.

BUT..and this is a big but..it's sort of a pretend shave. I'll miss spots here and there and don't care as much as I would in the summer when I plan to wear dresses or skirts. And I generally don't bother shaving my thighs/leg above the knee. I hardly have any hair there, and it isn't noticeable really so I don't care. The summer shaving routine is much more time-consuming since you have to pay more attention.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:56 AM

24 posts, read 52,450 times
I shave every few days. Especially if I'm planning to wear a dress, which I do a couple of times per week. I'm not always as careful around my knees, though, as I am during the summer.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:10 PM

548 posts, read 1,213,145 times
I do, but I am married. Even when I wasn't, however, I would still shave (maybe not quite as often) because I hate the feeling of long prickly hair on my legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty