U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 03:14 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,108,663 times

Advertisements

It is so weird in that I have had this everyday Skagen watch with a link type bracelet band for about 5-6 years that I have enjoyed wearing for everyday. However, just recently, I developed a rash on my wrist from wearing it. I went to my dermatologist and she said it was caused from the watch band and gave me some cream to put on it and told me to quit wearing it. I am really sad as it was not real expensive, not like my Tiffany watch with leather strap, but was great for everyday. I think it was made out of stainless steel with alternating shine and brushed finish. It was not tight on my wrist either. Has anybody else had that happen? I wonder why it would happen after several years? Thanks for any comments or experiences. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 03:21 PM

18,847 posts, read 32,451,925 times
Nickel. I found out I was allergic to nickel. It was on my Fossil watch.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:30 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,552,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This! I'm also allergic to nickel to a point I do not wear silver anymore.

If you want to salvage the watch maybe a bandage under could help. I never tried it, just a thought?

Old 11-29-2013, 03:47 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,535,663 times
If you wear leather watches under really hot and humid conditions, it rots your skin and causes sweat rashes . Happened to me very often when I lived in India and wore a watch to school.

Metallic watches usually don't cause a problem for me. But as other posters mentioned, nickel does have allergy issues. Read up on this. Very interesting material:

Hide and Seek: Hidden Causes of Nickel Allergy | The Dr. Oz Show

Old 11-29-2013, 04:34 PM

7,286 posts, read 13,828,766 times
It's probably a nickel allergy--a lot of people have them. Unfortunately, that watch isn't going to cut it for you anymore. A titanium watch should work, but very high grade stainless will almost always work. Most of the high grade stainless is on expensive watches though. Also gold (14kt or higher)

Or you could go for a watch with a synthetic strap, like the type used for diving or outdoor sports. I'm probably not telling you anything you don't know by this point.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:15 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,951,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
It's probably a nickel allergy--a lot of people have them. Unfortunately, that watch isn't going to cut it for you anymore. A titanium watch should work, but very high grade stainless will almost always work. Most of the high grade stainless is on expensive watches though. Also gold (14kt or higher)

Or you could go for a watch with a synthetic strap, like the type used for diving or outdoor sports. I'm probably not telling you anything you don't know by this point.
As noted already, it may be an allergic reaction to nickel. I don't know that you need to get rid of the watch itself but perhaps just change out the band itself; certainly worth a try if you like the watch for everyday use.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:37 PM

2,052 posts, read 1,964,981 times
It happened to me years ago with a watch that had a stretch band. The problem was the moisture ,due to my job my hands were wet a lot, and the fact that the band was collecting some dirt and debris and not being cleaned well enough.

I was able to wear watches with other kinds of bands after it healed up but was a lot more careful about wet conditions and making sure the band was clean.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:46 PM

2,454 posts, read 2,732,872 times
Ditto on the nickel allergy. Nickel is usually the underlying metal under softer metals. Likely the stainless has worn down from wear and you're getting the nickel next to your bare skin. I'm surprised your dermatologist didn't explain that since it is so common. Ever wonder why 90% of the jewelry at Target, Walmart, and other stores says "nickel-free?"

On the other hand, with smartphones the time is readily available without wearing a watch, which is how I handled the nickel allergy thing.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:32 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,108,663 times
Thank you!! You guys are great and I will rep all of you!. The theory that the stainless has worn down as it was fine for a few years.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:36 PM

48 posts, read 84,554 times
I am allergic to nickel and I paint the metallic part of the watch with a bunch of nail polish when I want to use it. (You can use clear nailpolish, but i find it more comforting to use a color so I can see when it gets scratched off). You probably want to consider another watch for everyday use tough. Also be careful with any non 18-24 k gold jewelry and metallic buttons in your jeans waist. (Inside, use naillish here too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty