U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 04:34 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,568,878 times

Advertisements

Skin condition has improved slightly over time. Still very dry. Perhaps not as bad as the Atacama, now its more like the Sonoran Desert. I still do not know the source of this problem though. All of a sudden yesterday afternoon, my skin was extremely dry, cracked up, burned, and started bleeding. It felt like I had suddenly been weakly stabbed on my wrist. Thank Neosporin for curing the burning sensation and bleeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 04:51 PM

2,431 posts, read 4,742,075 times
Lotions don't generally work for me on my hands and feet. My hands are the same way right now, and would sting I used a lotion.

Try a tube of Gold Bond Ultimate -- there are several varieties. It goes on very thick and is soothing.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:01 PM

18,847 posts, read 32,523,311 times
Use Chapstick. Just put on knuckles several times a day.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:02 PM

658 posts, read 674,683 times
You need to see your doctor. That open skin is ripe for an infection.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:19 PM

Slowly but surely, skin over my knuckles are softening after treating with J&J baby oil. Still dry though, but far better than today morning.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:02 PM

3,485 posts, read 2,847,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Slowly but surely, skin over my knuckles are softening after treating with J&J baby oil. Still dry though, but far better than today morning.
OH thank god.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:31 PM

J&J baby oil is what finally worked. Applied it over my parched knuckles and I am back to normal within a few hours. Laugh at me for using baby products as a full grown man, but its what solved the problem .

Old 11-30-2013, 11:43 PM

42,717 posts, read 45,453,463 times
Quote:
J&J baby oil is what finally worked. Applied it over my parched knuckles and I am back to normal within a few hours. Laugh at me for using baby products as a full grown man, but its what solved the problem .
Baby products work.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:43 AM

8,004 posts, read 10,274,890 times
Good for you. For anyone dealing with a "dry/inflamed/itching/burning'....I can not say enough about taking grape seed extract and using Evening Primrose oil.

Due to ....ahem, advancing age, hot flashes were becoming a real problem. I started taking some Evening Primrose, to see if that didn't combat the problem. In my quest for natural alternatives for those hot flashes, I noticed that Evening primrose is not only effective for those, but that it's recommended for eczema and other inflammatory skin conditions. Okay....fast forward a couple of weeks and there I was, breaking out in "crab poisoning" from cooking and shaking some crab for us. I remembered the Evening Primrose and applied it. Wow! I broke open one of the EP capsules and used the oil out of it. It's now one of the ingredients that I add to our ointments.

Regardless of which ingredients we prefer, let's face it......the main objective here is to get that skin to stay soft and flexible, so that it can move, stay healthy and protect us from the nasty stuff in our environment. Funny how so many of us take our skin for granted....not realizing just how very important it is (intact) for our survival!

For those having to use hand sanitizer? Please....please....try Gold Bond Moisturizing Hand Sanitizer! That clear hand sanitizer EATS my hands! I replaced the regular sanitizer on my cart and in my home, a couple of years ago with the GB, and I will NEVER go back, ever! Personally, I prefer the original formula over the citrus scent, but still.....wonderful, glorious, healing lotion, that IS a hand sanitizer. Wonderful stuff.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:00 AM

8,004 posts, read 10,274,890 times
Quote:

LOL Adi......It's just mineral oil with a bit of fragrance. ......just shows you DO have a softer side, huh? I'm so glad to hear you've found some relief for your hands. Hey, you use what you have to. It doesn't matter what it is, as long as it works for you! If you're not comfortable telling anyone you used baby oil, then tell them you used some mineral oil.

You know, we all need to get more familiar with "ingredients" rather than brand names. Knowing which ingredients we're really looking for, can save us all a fortune. Many times, in the "Ethnic" section of stores (especially OUR Walmart), you'll find salves and lotions that we've never heard of. I hit that aisle everytime I'm in there. Many of the "scalp and hair" conditioners, are nothing more than cocktails of essential oils and extracts! Because they're not "big brand names", they are not expensive...at all! One of my best and most recent finds?...Africa's Best-Ultimate Herbal Oil. If you went to a health food/supplement store, you'd probably pay $15-$20 bucks for 4 oz. of the stuff in that bottle. At Walmart, I paid less than $3 for 8 oz!

The whole family is using it now. it absorbs quickly and completely and is chock full of healing herbs and extracts. Good stuff! Oh....and it smells like baby oil. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty