U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 11:27 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,533,660 times

Advertisements

I have an urgent issue to deal with right now. For the past several hours my knuckles are turning incredibly dry, burning, and then bleeding. I used dry skin lotion to prevent it. However, lotion has no effect and this problem just keeps recurring. The burning and bleeding combined feels very painful . Is it best for me to schedule an appointment with a dermatologist ASAP or should I try out a simple remedy at home. I want this dry skin burning and bleeding on my knuckles to stop because it makes doing things with my hands almost impossible. Please advice me on what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 11:32 PM

42,701 posts, read 45,339,375 times
Good gawd man, put some antibotic ointment on them or cortisone. You need to lotion up after a shower.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:38 PM

689 posts, read 1,269,931 times
My skin also gets like this in the winter. Simple Vaseline has always done the trick. If my skin is really cracked and painful, I'll put a thick layer of Vaseline on the affected areas at night. For the first few nights I even put socks on my hands since Vaseline is so goopy. It's generally all healed up in just a few days. I use dry skin lotion during the day, and apply it any time my skin is the least little bit dry. I continue to put vaseline on at night, just not as heavily. My daughter uses Aquaphor on her babies' dry skin. It's supposed to be more mild than vaseline, if that's a concern for you.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:41 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,533,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Good gawd man, put some antibotic ointment on them or cortisone. You need to lotion up after a shower.
I regularly lotion up after a shower. Usually this problem does not occur. But today, it has been plaguing me for the last several hours. Don't know how and why. I will try Neosporin ointment and see how that works.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:29 AM

3,276 posts, read 3,849,218 times
Have you been handling flour?

Old 11-30-2013, 01:37 AM
Status: "It was all that I wanted ~ now I'm living without" (set 22 days ago)

13,596 posts, read 22,406,351 times
Common occurrence in winter. Don't use hand sanitizer until your skin heals, the alcohol will sting like lemon juice on a paper cut.

Wash your hands with warm water instead of cold, I find the cold water dries the skin even more. If you've been needing to wash your hands frequently that may be the culprit.

I find that The Body Shop's hemp hand cream really helps with this problem.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:13 AM

11,310 posts, read 21,393,878 times
A lot of lotions have alcohol, which will only add to the dryness and burning.

Use Vaseline on them or if you feel like more expensive things work better, Aquaphor. You can get a pair of cheap gloves to put over the vaseline while you sleep, even those stretchy gloves that Walmart sells for $2 will do the job.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:18 AM

12,337 posts, read 20,937,183 times
Wash your hands with moisturizing soap that won't strip your hands. After every hand wash use a good lotion. When you go outside ALWAYS wear gloves.

And this Amazon.com: Jilbere Professional Heated Spa Mitts: Beauty

Couple three times a week, liberally coat your hands with lotion, cover them with plastic bags and bake them for about 1/2 hour. The heat allows the lotion to absorb deeply into your hands. And it feels wonderful.

BUT -- if you have a tendency to fall asleep easily -- these often don't have a auto turn off, so set your alarm to wake you.

I have a pair of Conair ones that are really old... I use them a lot.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:44 AM

13,921 posts, read 14,211,420 times
Neutrogena's Norwegian Fisherman Hand Lotion. A close friend is a pilot who was dealing with gasoline getting on her hands in dry, cold climates. Her hands were cracking like crazy - I recommended the hand lotion (which I started using years ago in New Hampshire winters during college) and she says it did the trick:

Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream, Scented | drugstore.com

Old 11-30-2013, 07:44 AM

5,647 posts, read 5,127,914 times
Bag balm is wonderful for dry, cracked skin. I've had split and bleeding fingertips from the cold and it healed them overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty