U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 12:35 PM

27,330 posts, read 30,526,892 times

Advertisements

I don't like the West Coast style in general. Particularly for men. Not enough panache. Women's looks tend to be too casual and not polished enough for me.

I do like Manhattan, particularly the whole upper east side/ladies who lunch look. And the SOHO look - edgier urban chic.

I don't like Boston, a little too conservative preppy for me. Even though I like preppy.

I haven't spent enough time in Atlanta to know what the fashion scene is like, but Southern women tend to be a little too "done" for my taste. But I am a California girl at heart, and fall somewhere between CA ease and East Coast classics. I love a great structured bag, skinny jeans, flats and a nice top. Somewhere between preppy, urban and low-key. In some ways I am very Manhattan, I talk fast and like to dress up to an extent. And I like "nice" stuff. But on the other hand I am very Brooklyn too! But I don't like the cold, so NYC isn't really my place. But if someone gave me free housing, I wouldn't turn down a move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 11:27 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,339,410 times
I live in soho so I am biased, but sometimes I am in awe of people's fashion sense in nyc. Sometimes it's trying to hard, but other times amazing.
Really enjoy the miami style as well.
The worst? Northern nj dudes.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:18 AM

11,882 posts, read 11,535,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
The worst? Northern nj dudes.
I thought we don't dress up a whole lot different than NYC people , and believe it or not around 20 % of the people who you regularly see in NYC are actually from Northern NJ. I visit NYC quite often, and don't see an enormous difference in style for men compared to northern NJ. Maybe for women its quite different since NYC chic's focus on being trendier.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:34 PM

80,953 posts, read 73,997,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Thrift shop land :

MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS - THRIFT SHOP FEAT. WANZ (OFFICIAL VIDEO) - YouTube

My 10 year old cousin actually sang this when he went shopping with his mom .
"sang"?

Old 07-09-2014, 11:22 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,713,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Best: New York City
Worst: Denver by far is the most dull, colorless, bland city. You're made fun of here for dressing flamboyant or different. No wonder Columbine happened here. State of gross!
Maybe you just have the wrong friends.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:27 AM

11,882 posts, read 11,535,663 times
OMG, this thread has revived my immaturity earlier on F & B forum . It makes me look like a idiot.

I will NEVER turn into that Adi ever again. I am a changed man now after being disciplined by the Police.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:50 AM

706 posts, read 974,347 times
I agree that Denver is very, very bland when it comes to fashion. But I think it depends on what you're used to. Coming from Chicago, where people get fairly dressed up on the weekends to go out, to here where shorts and flip flops are the standard uniform even for really nice restaurants....it was quite a shock. I've gone out with friends in attire that wasn't even my dressiest and have had friends inquire about why I'm so "dressed up".

Old 07-09-2014, 11:59 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,713,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
I agree that Denver is very, very bland when it comes to fashion. But I think it depends on what you're used to. Coming from Chicago, where people get fairly dressed up on the weekends to go out, to here where shorts and flip flops are the standard uniform even for really nice restaurants....it was quite a shock. I've gone out with friends in attire that wasn't even my dressiest and have had friends inquire about why I'm so "dressed up".
I love that Denver is so casual, but I moved here from SoCal We don't wear shoes in our house, but I think that's something I learned from all my Asian friends. A friend who visited from NYC thought we were insane for not wearing shoes indoors lol!

Old 07-09-2014, 12:12 PM

706 posts, read 974,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I love that Denver is so casual, but I moved here from SoCal We don't wear shoes in our house, but I think that's something I learned from all my Asian friends. A friend who visited from NYC thought we were insane for not wearing shoes indoors lol!
We don't wear shoes inside the house either, partly for comfort and partly for the sake of keeping clean floors and carpets.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:31 PM

11,681 posts, read 5,220,640 times
Texas, because I have the "Texas big hair" look every morning when waking up!

Least favorite is probably SF/Portland/Seattle...the clothing styles are too gloomy, boxy and hipsterish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty