U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 03:10 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,738,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't believe in minimizers (uk 32hh/34h here). I like the British brand Freya since it generally fits well and they have interesting patterns. I need to find a new brand because I am sizing out of most of them. Cleo gives great shape, so that is also high on the list.

For those of you 34D and up, try Elomi who makes lots of pretty bras and matching sets.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Never heard of Elomi...very nice, though!

Those of us who are a 34D and larger aren't necessarily otherwise large. I'm a size 4-8 (depending) and just have large boobs. I'm quite skinny. It can make good fit challenging and it's why I buy minimizer bras for both looks and comfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 03:16 PM

3,860 posts, read 5,422,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I just did my annual undie stock up online Black Friday. onehanesplace dot com had Bali (and other brands) bras for $15, and free shipping over $65. I hear you on the matching underwear! I tried to find matching Bali undies and ended up just getting cheap Hanes cotton 6-packs.

I utterly loathe bra-shopping in stores. That's probably why I've been sticking with Bali and buying online....their sizing is very consistent so I know that what I buy will fit.
I am going to check this out! I mean, fifteen bucks for a decent bra, and free shipping. That's a steal. Thanks!

Old 12-01-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
I am going to check this out! I mean, fifteen bucks for a decent bra, and free shipping. That's a steal. Thanks!

Seriously, I am not a shill for that website but they do have very good deals. I've shopped there for years.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:26 PM

38,554 posts, read 47,446,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Cross Your Heart or Just My Size (all padded or gel strap)
Lane Bryant also had a knit bra bra by cacique that I loved but they don't carry it anymore.

Other than that I'm open to all brands.
I did two professional bra fittings once, at two different department stores.
It was very educational about brands, style and fit. -- and what I did like, and also didn't like so much or work so well for me.
I highly recommend it. It was well worth it.
If you like minimizers, and fuller figure bras, you should try Avenue. Even though I'm not that large, I like full coverage bras and the ones at Avenue are very good quality.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:40 PM

27,431 posts, read 34,313,301 times
My absolute favorite style EVER is no longer made. It was an unlined full-coverage bra by VS. Fits me like a dream, excellent support, full back band coverage (I hate the bras with skinny back bands - they tend to show in sweaters and closer-fit tops. When I found out they were being discontinued a few years ago, I bought about 15 of them in every color. I have LOTS of other bras (don't ask how many!) but these VS ones are my everyday go-to bras.

I absolutely despise the formed cups that so many bras have these days. Give me an unlined natural cup any day of the week.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:54 PM

27,330 posts, read 30,592,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Never heard of Elomi...very nice, though!

Those of us who are a 34D and larger aren't necessarily otherwise large. I'm a size 4-8 (depending) and just have large boobs. I'm quite skinny. It can make good fit challenging and it's why I buy minimizer bras for both looks and comfort.
You should head over to somewhere like Nordstroms and get sized. Many people wearing 34d are actually 30f. They are much narrower in the ribcage than is sold in mainstream stores. Especially as you hit D+. I am not small, but most 34 bands are too big for me!

You can definitely have larger boobs and be slim, but American sizing assumes that bigger boobs = bigger ribcage which isn't always the case! You can also be bigger and have a narrower ribcage too. Or be slimmer with a larger ribcage. There js a lot of variation.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:45 PM

2,867 posts, read 4,161,753 times
Bali and Olga but mostly Bali.

I shop at JC Penney because most people don't and I can bra shop in peace. Sizing is a trip. I'm broad so size/number wise I seem really busty when I'm really not. Once I sized myself at home, went to a store in peace without teens and sales people breathing down my neck bra shopping became not horrible.

I hate VS. Bras and the shopping experience.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My absolute favorite style EVER is no longer made. It was an unlined full-coverage bra by VS. Fits me like a dream, excellent support, full back band coverage (I hate the bras with skinny back bands - they tend to show in sweaters and closer-fit tops. When I found out they were being discontinued a few years ago, I bought about 15 of them in every color. I have LOTS of other bras (don't ask how many!) but these VS ones are my everyday go-to bras.

I absolutely despise the formed cups that so many bras have these days. Give me an unlined natural cup any day of the week.
That's a lot of bras! I also dislike the formed cups.

Including the order I just made I am up to 12 bras. I have no clue if that's a lot, a few, or an average amount to own.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You should head over to somewhere like Nordstroms and get sized. Many people wearing 34d are actually 30f. They are much narrower in the ribcage than is sold in mainstream stores. Especially as you hit D+. I am not small, but most 34 bands are too big for me!

You can definitely have larger boobs and be slim, but American sizing assumes that bigger boobs = bigger ribcage which isn't always the case! You can also be bigger and have a narrower ribcage too. Or be slimmer with a larger ribcage. There js a lot of variation.

You are probably right; it would be worthwhile to get professionally sized.

Things have changed. Twenty years ago it was damn near impossible for me to find pretty, supportive bras in my size (36DD, as far as I know.) Color choices were white and beige, with wide back straps and in general really frumpy bras. These days I have lots of color and fabric choices, and nice-looking, even sexy, bras.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:03 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,027,339 times
I hate the preformed cups too. You can't fold them and they want you to have a huge dresser to fit them.
I once decided to go buy one expensive bra at Saks. Git fitted. The lady at the counter told me the secret of perfect bra is to have the triangle between the cups fit perfectly flat against your skin, between your breasts. Yes, the bras I bought that day was far superior in quality than anythig i bought other places. So I have many bali and Olga pieces but I own 3 Chantelle from saks in white, black and beige too. with matching panties. I wash them manually and they should last a long time. They were expensive but it was a very good investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty