Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You should head over to somewhere like Nordstroms and get sized. Many people wearing 34d are actually 30f. They are much narrower in the ribcage than is sold in mainstream stores. Especially as you hit D+. I am not small, but most 34 bands are too big for me!

You can definitely have larger boobs and be slim, but American sizing assumes that bigger boobs = bigger ribcage which isn't always the case! You can also be bigger and have a narrower ribcage too. Or be slimmer with a larger ribcage. There js a lot of variation.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
I have found this is true. I wore a 34C for years, then gained a little weight and went up to a 34D. After I lost the weight, by process of elimination, I determined I was a 32D. I'm not that skinny, and my boobs aren't that big, but I have a hard time finding a 32D.

I have ordered from the Hanes/Bali website, but they keep discontinuing the styles I like in my size. Multiple times I have placed an order, then received a post card telling me my item was backordered, followed by a postcard telling me my item was discontinued.

I recently tried True. You pick out some bras and pay a deposit. They ship them to you, you try them on, and return what doesn't fit. $45 each compared with $15 from Bali, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 09:37 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I have found this is true. I wore a 34C for years, then gained a little weight and went up to a 34D. After I lost the weight, by process of elimination, I determined I was a 32D. I'm not that skinny, and my boobs aren't that big, but I have a hard time finding a 32D.

I have ordered from the Hanes/Bali website, but they keep discontinuing the styles I like in my size. Multiple times I have placed an order, then received a post card telling me my item was backordered, followed by a postcard telling me my item was discontinued.

I recently tried True. You pick out some bras and pay a deposit. They ship them to you, you try them on, and return what doesn't fit. $45 each compared with $15 from Bali, though.
Also check out Soma, Chicos intimates line. They go up to American G and have some nice classy styles. I was impressed. Too bad they aren't in my size. :P

And keep in mind American/French/UK/Polish brands all have slightly different sizing. UK H is about a US J or K.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:28 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Soma is my current favorite. I've been fitted at Nordstroms and previously liked Wacoal. But in order to wear them, I have to have the straps altered to be longer, and that is too costly.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:00 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't believe in minimizers (uk 32hh/34h here). I like the British brand Freya since it generally fits well and they have interesting patterns. I need to find a new brand because I am sizing out of most of them. Cleo gives great shape, so that is also high on the list.

For those of you 34D and up, try Elomi who makes lots of pretty bras and matching sets.

I am a UK 36L/38K (because 36L is tough to find!) and I am a huge fan of Elomi and Panache. I have also worn Freya and Goddess as well, but feel like Elomi and Panache are my favorites (a lot of Freya styles don't go up to my size, which is sad! they're so darn cute). I hate spending so much money on a bra, butwhen you are a larger cup-size, you have to! Recently, I started purchasing them on Amazon which has been awesome to find something in my size at $30 instead of $60-$85 that the specialty boutique here wants to charge!

I recommend getting a fitting at Nordstroms or other department store that has good service. VS will change your size to ensure you can fit into their sizes as opposed to telling you your true size. (when I was a 36F, they put me into a 44DD and I looked at them like WTF....)

Old 12-02-2013, 09:57 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
That's a lot of bras! I also dislike the formed cups.

Including the order I just made I am up to 12 bras. I have no clue if that's a lot, a few, or an average amount to own.
I'm sure there are plenty of women that have 2 or three, and then others that have 30 or 40. Not telling which category I fall into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty