U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 11:01 AM

8,173 posts, read 7,856,567 times

Advertisements

I am so happy to be able to have an opportunity to now sport my black Gloria Vanderbilt Jeans, (my Calvin's fit too much like sausage casing for me to love those at the moment,) they fit great and since it only gets but so cold, jeans are fine, but if temps drop really lining them is important, (my Calvin's fit too much like sausage casing for me to love those at the moment,). But in general, any jean that fits comfortable and is priced right are my favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
For me wearing jeans in the freezing temperatures isn't warm enough. So I switch to cordoroy pants at this time of year. Otherwise I prefer Levis jeans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I like cord leggings with long silk underwear (so warm) underneath...I do wear jeans too - I like Lucky Brand, American Outfitters, Levis.
You have the right idea, jeans are the worst clothing item for warmth, it will come down to what you line them with, silk is great for lining most practical are poly blends fabrics like polypropylene linings and then other synthetics, anything with a high cotton percentage being the worst. I love my jeans, but, having hiking and camping experience, sometimes you learn a lot about the limits of these much adored items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 12:34 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,553,208 times
I am also happy to say that I have officially downgraded myself from a size 36 to 34 thanks to exercise. Now I am able to wear my size 34 jeans without grunting. However, size 32 still does not fit my hips. Hopefully I can bump down to size 32 just in time for spring.

Since 95% of the posters here are women, these dimensions might sound enormous, just like dimensions for women's jeans sound puny to me.

And how are jeans not good for warmth. I shoveled 34" of snow during the blizzard of 2010 wearing a pair of jeans without long Johns and didn't feel the slightest bit cold. Good ol' Nor'easter just in time for the Holidays gutted an Amtrak train to Pittsburgh in my town for 2 hours. That was one of the few times I enjoyed snowfall as I had time to shovel and make snowmen . Hope it happens again this year.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 12-01-2013 at 12:50 PM..

Old 12-01-2013, 02:19 PM

5,999 posts, read 8,845,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Do you have dark faded blue ones like mine. I own Calvin Klein, Urban pipeline, Levis, Covington, Lee, and a few more. I am a huge fan of jeans and wear them year round. They match well with any type of T-shirt, shirt, or sweater. Often, I wear jeans in summer just because I like them a lot and am tired of wearing khakis and plaid shorts all the time .
I have a few pairs in different shades of darkness. I'm not a fan of really dark jeans. I like the partially faded "dirty" look. I don't like oversized jeans or the low hanging ones. I'm a WASPy suburban type so I'm not going for the urban thug look, and I hate those oversized fat boy jeans that hang too low. I like a natural fit, with a snug but not overly tight fit on the butt and crotch area. I'm on the cusp between a 34" and 36" waist, so I can wear either size, depending on the cut.

Last edited by dazzleman; 12-01-2013 at 02:28 PM..

Old 12-01-2013, 02:27 PM

2,730 posts, read 2,155,684 times
Pretty and comfy ones.

Labels means nothing for me.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:32 PM

14,254 posts, read 19,508,504 times
I love my Gloria Vanderbilts as well and dont care much for lees because to me they dont fit my body shape right and GVs do . Levis are another one I have trouble with fitting .

Old 12-01-2013, 02:34 PM

21,063 posts, read 19,995,174 times
I crave another pair of L.L. Bean flannel lined jeans for winter. I've had a few pair in my life but the winter white that I loved is no longer made.

Jeans are freezing in this part of the country. You get them wet with snow and it freezes--ICE on your legs. At least with cords or lined jeans it isn't as easy for them to get wet all the way through. New Englander here=dress for practicality.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:33 PM

5,284 posts, read 18,219,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I crave another pair of L.L. Bean flannel lined jeans for winter. I've had a few pair in my life but the winter white that I loved is no longer made.

Jeans are freezing in this part of the country. You get them wet with snow and it freezes--ICE on your legs. At least with cords or lined jeans it isn't as easy for them to get wet all the way through. New Englander here=dress for practicality.
Yep, agreed - in really cold weather, jeans make you colder not warmer. Jeans are made from cotton - cotton is not one of the fabrics that keeps you warm, even when it is tightly woven. Wool is warm, down is warm, layers of clothing are warm - thick polyester and other manmade fabrics can be warm when used for layering. I'm loving the fleece lined tights I bought at T.J. Maxx - Chinese Laundry is the brand....they are footless so perfect for boots and wool sox - I wear them under jeans, skirts, dresses, etc.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:47 PM

13,223 posts, read 8,101,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I'm loving the fleece lined tights I bought at T.J. Maxx - Chinese Laundry is the brand....they are footless so perfect for boots and wool sox - I wear them under jeans, skirts, dresses, etc.
I had heard a lot of greet things about fleece lined tights, and bought a pair last time I was at TJ Maxx. They have the Chinese Laundry brand, but I went with a different brand (can't remember the brand now). I do not like them at all. I'll have to get the Chinese Laundry pair and see if they're better. I wear a lot of dresses in the winter time. I wanted warmer tights so I didn't have to layer my thinner tights. The ones I got are definitely warm, they just fit weird.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Don't forget cheering for Tom Brady and the Partiots who defeated the Houston Texans clutch .

It gets cold down here as well. Maybe not like New Hampshire, but significantly cold. At worst (Single digits), I wear Jeans + long Underwear for protection. I know that Jeans can be worn comfortably year round for women if you layer tights underneath as my mom does the same and manages to stay warm. I have never seen people wear wool pants down here even when it snows.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:03 PM

Additional question, do you wear a belt with a pair of jeans or not. I never wore a belt till the beginning of this year, when I was in the cusp of size 34 and 36. I needed a belt to comfortably wear my size 36 jeans and make sure the do not slide down leaving my underwear exposed . Now, it has become a regular habit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty