U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:56 PM

16,833 posts, read 14,552,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I am admittedly not super hip on current fashion. Whos who in clothing designers and such. I only recently started posting on tbis board because the subject matter was not what I expected when I actually looked in. There is a surprisingly diverse range of people and subjects here that bely the title.

Anyway, mys question is exactly the title of the thread. Are current looks and fashion trends high on your priority list? Do you like to follow current clothing trends and hair styles and stay up to date, or do you cultivate a unique style, all your own? Perhaps you blend current trends with hour own, personal ideas?

What is more important, function, form or a balance? I do believe that manner of dress and personal appearance speaks volumes as to the persons character and personality. The whole "first impression" thing.

I realize, of course, that many professional people are madated go look a certain way on the job, but off company time? What changes? Wow...I can only imagine..
You left out at least one other option...classic.

I do not stalk trends but instead follow classic, well tailored, timeless clothing. I have very little clothing compared to most people (typical capsule wardrobe) but what I have is very good quality.

My friends are sometimes shocked about the price tags of my staples (my black pants cost nearly $400 before I took them to a tailor) but when I compared overall cost to their dozens and dozens of pairs (frequently unworn) pants, I still come out ahead.

So as for form or function, I say both. For the days I am working in the field, I wear technical pieces or those that just last forever, things live patagonia coats and levis and merrells. For everything else, I choose form, a classic figure flattering cut works forever and never goes out of style. Like today I am wearing a french sailor sweater, and black wool tuxedo pants, and ballet flats. Definitely not flashy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 07:33 PM

14,614 posts, read 12,054,025 times
So...more unique and more function or blend than straight looks. Someone mentioned "classic" styling, and I'm on board with that. As a gerneral rule, I wear jeans and boots with a long sleeved pullover with a button down over that, for these cold months. But, as the need for true layering comes out to things can get creative. I put on a tighter fitting pair of fleece swaet pants on over my boxers, and then pull my grey or sky blue wool trousers on. The sweats keep the wool from chafingthe pants were made to tuck into boots, so I will do so sometimed. I have an Alpaca wool shirt I put on o er a cotton pullover, which is nice and soft and very warm. Then, the final piece, my greatcoat. I have described it in other threads, so I won't detail it again. It is warm and well made.

It does draw comments, though Im not fishing for them it is an 1860s style coat. But, it was designed with warm in mind, i the worst of conditions. And...well ..I like the way it looks. Lol

Old 12-02-2013, 07:37 PM

37,223 posts, read 43,439,058 times
Given the choice, I generally prefer attire that skews more unusual, usually stuff that's described as "artsy/boho," and if it'sgot handmade aspects and elements, the better, than stuff that is more cookie cutter.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:08 PM

48,002 posts, read 38,559,990 times
Some trends are fun, and actually do look good, and when that's the case, I'll buy an item or two because I like them. For instance, patio pants suddenly got trendy and I was really glad about that because I personally really like them and being tall with long legs I can pull off that look - so I bought some. But when short jackets became trendy I didn't go for that look, because they look stupid on me with my body build.

I love scarves and am glad that they're "in fashion" now - but I was wearing them when they weren't trendy. To me, a scarf is a classic look, and that's what I like best - classic, with a little bit of trend thrown in for pizzazz sometimes.

Like I said, I am tall, so I can wear bold patterns or sort of extreme jackets (very long or with big collars, that sort of thing), so I have some items that are eye catching. But overall, I don't go for a BIG STATEMENT when I dress. I go for a put together look.

Actually my preference is understated, classic clothes with awesome boots or shoes, and one piece of fabulous jewelry - a brooch or big necklace or big earrings - or a scarf. But not "unique" cuts of shirts, extreme pants, awesome boots, awesome earrings, an awesome necklace and an awesome belt all at the same time - LOL!

Example - yesterday I wore jeans - nothing extreme one way or the other but well fitting - tucked into brown leather ankle boots that have a pretty pronounced cuff (love those boots!), with a chamois colored light weight turtleneck and dangly earrings. That's it.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:22 PM

5,689 posts, read 8,856,014 times
Interesting topic...

I usually prefer form over function (am I the only one here who does?), unless I need clothes to serve a specific purpose (e.g. sporting/outdoor wear). I'd pick beautiful, slightly painful shoes over hideous, comfortable shoes any day - and no one here (even a podiatrist) can talk me out of that! I will carry a small pretty beaded, easily stained satchel that only holds a lipstick and a dime, over an ugly huge, functional, washable hobo bag and MAKE DO. I will admit this! I do sometimes seek a balance with function and beauty, but if I can't (it can be hard with shoes!), art and beauty will trump function.

Some of my friends have described my style as "bohemian," but I think it is more classic (I like tailored clothes and timeless styles) with some unique items thrown in (e.g. vintage hats, handbags, jewelry). I often shop consignment shops and small boutiques with local designers/artists.

I am not too trendy, but know what forms/cuts/colors/patterns are in style. I tend to dress like I decorate my home, which is filled with unique pieces/art/antiques. I like classic forms, earth tone backdrops, with vintage/international/conversation pieces thrown in. Those antique chairs can be uncomfortable and need ongoing maintenance, and so can my shoes, but I don't like dressing/decorating like everyone else.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 12-02-2013 at 10:32 PM..

Old 12-02-2013, 10:59 PM

452 posts, read 589,732 times
I tend to dress extremely modestly, so a lot of my clothes are hand made, but I make my blouses in pioneer styles, I still wear Gunne Sax frequently, I also have fun with it. If it's cold enough Sunday, I'm going to wear my denim walking skirt with the tapestry panel that gathers in the back with a Victorian work shirt, quilted Gunne waistcoat and tapestry shawl, depending on how cold either sofskin bloomers and socks with one petticoat or lined leggings and two petticoats with black granny boots. Going to work on a gorgeous Edwardian hairdo that I can do with all this hair. I have an absolute blast with clothes and get more compliments! (A lot on being brave enough to wear it, lol)

Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,529,006 times
I mostly avoid things that are 'in', because I know they will be 'out' later. I don't want to be the kind of older person that high school girls laugh about because she is so out of style .

I wear bright colors, and unusual combinations of colors, in clothing with plain and classic shapes. A long-sleeved tee instead of a trendy peasant blouse, for example. But the tee is raspberry and cream stripes, and the jeans are blue-green (and skinny -- I keep the wider ones in the closet for when they come back into fashion). Maybe a sky blue camisole peeking out between them, and a vintage hat.

Ok, maybe they do laugh at me . But I am having fun.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:43 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,765,309 times
Female fashion seems to have always been about fashion before comfort. From foot-binding, to corsets, to ridiculously long and burdensome dresses, high heels, jeans that look like they could cut off the blood circulation.etc.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:27 AM

4,881 posts, read 5,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Female fashion seems to have always been about fashion before comfort. From foot-binding, to corsets, to ridiculously long and burdensome dresses, high heels, jeans that look like they could cut off the blood circulation.etc.
Agree. Never could understand that. It is possible and very easy to look well dressed without
all that.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:33 AM

48,002 posts, read 38,559,990 times
I totally agree.

Well, here I am at age 51 and a few years ago I tore my Achilles tendon (NOT FUN). Believe me, after that experience, I have come to embrace the idea of comfortable shoes! But that also taught me that comfort doesn't have to lack style. I don't buy a lot of shoes, so when I do, I spend money and don't look back. I refuse to buy shoes that are ugly or "old lady looking" and I also refuse to buy shoes that aren't comfortable.

I don't wear stilettos anymore because life's too short to have aching feet in a few hours. But don't let me near a Cole Hahn boot display! Or Dansco or Born clogs!

I love skinny jeans and big woolly sweaters and/or ponchos (my husband calls them my serapes! LOL) with boots and nice woolly socks. Throw a long scarf into the mix and I am ready to roll.

Oh and I love berets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or