Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you (want to) cross-dress?
Yes 23 18.85%
No 99 81.15%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:20 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Hopefully this is an appropriate question here.

Anyway, as for me, I never got the chance to cross-dress yet. However, I would probably love to do this regardless of what my gender would be (I am currently a biological male, but I have been thinking about eventually getting a sex change, et cetera). Personally, I would probably find it fun to dress up and play the role of both genders at certain points in time.
Hell no. I think cross-dressers are a bit off their rockers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 05:27 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
I'm a well known crossdresser on this forum, and just check out my profile pic. When I crossdress and go out, I do my best to look like a woman, and I certainly pass as I've gone to a lot of restrooms and women's fitting rooms with no problems. I've even attracted men since they thought I was a woman, but I don't mess with men.

I probably have a $50,000 collection of women's clothes! So much more women's clothes than men's! But people discriminate against me in jobs when they find out I crossdress.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Hell no. I think cross-dressers are a bit off their rockers.
He wants a sex change, though, so it's not like it's just some fetish for him.

I'm a very feminine, cisgender woman who likes being a very feminine female, so I have no interest in cross-dressing. More power to you, OP, in however you choose to dress and identify. Rupaul is one of my favorite people in the whole wide world, and on Drag Race there was this fantastic line said by one of the contestants (paraphrased): "it takes a really strong man to dress like a woman." So, do your thing, boo!

Anyway, I'm genuinely surprised by the number of atypical people on this forum. There are a disproportionately high number of minorities who post here, and, apparently, a very disproportionately high number of lgbt people who post here despite the latter being relatively uncommon in society (I know you see it represented in the media a lot, but statistically it's exceedingly rare). Someone should do a study about that: the kinds of people who are attracted to internet forums.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:14 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110
I never got the chance to cross-dress yet. However, I would probably love to do this regardless of what my gender would be (I am currently a biological male, but I have been thinking about eventually getting a sex change, et cetera).
Well thats OK if thats how ya feel buddy but it isnt easy going thru that!! (I know some transgender people and they have it QUITE HARD!! (People are not nice about it,etc))

Old 12-02-2013, 06:28 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
He wants a sex change, though, so it's not like it's just some fetish for him.

I'm a very feminine, cisgender woman who likes being a very feminine female, so I have no interest in cross-dressing. More power to you, OP, in however you choose to dress and identify. Rupaul is one of my favorite people in the whole wide world, and on Drag Race there was this fantastic line said by one of the contestants (paraphrased): "it takes a really strong man to dress like a woman." So, do your thing, boo!

Anyway, I'm genuinely surprised by the number of atypical people on this forum. There are a disproportionately high number of minorities who post here, and, apparently, a very disproportionately high number of lgbt people who post here despite the latter being relatively uncommon in society (I know you see it represented in the media a lot, but statistically it's exceedingly rare). Someone should do a study about that: the kinds of people who are attracted to internet forums.
Thank you so much for posting this and for getting it. I have nothing against crossdressers, but that is a very different thing. Unfortunately we all get lumped in together which creates confusion. Many transvestites really pull it off well though. I don't see what harm they are doing anyone by dressing up as women.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:54 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I'm a well known crossdresser on this forum, and just check out my profile pic. When I crossdress and go out, I do my best to look like a woman, and I certainly pass as I've gone to a lot of restrooms and women's fitting rooms with no problems. I've even attracted men since they thought I was a woman, but I don't mess with men.

I probably have a $50,000 collection of women's clothes! So much more women's clothes than men's! But people discriminate against me in jobs when they find out I crossdress.
Nice suit! Chanel or knock-off?

Old 12-02-2013, 10:45 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

I own a Scottish kilt and I wear it a few times a year for special occasions....
Commando?

Old 12-02-2013, 11:34 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
What's the big deal with men wearing a dress?

Things like togas and tunics were the norm through most of history. There are places today where men commonly wear skirts or full dress-like garments.

I own a Scottish kilt and I wear it a few times a year for special occasions (admittedly it's not regarded as "women's clothing" except by the grossly ignorant). I like it and would love to dress that way all the time.

I once was behind a "woman" in line at the ice cream place in a gay-friendly neighborhood of Boston; s/he was tall, with broad angular shoulders tapering to a narrow waist. Dressed completely in female clothing, but almost definitely not a female. Very masculine physique; wish I had that physique!

In the end, it's just a bunch of rags that we hang on our bodies. If someone wants to consciously dress up as the opposite gender, who cares? go for it. In a big city, people will barely even notice.

I think a lot of the homophobia in American society comes from the almost paranoid way men avoid appearing feminine. When I lived in Asia I saw men holding hands, men with arms around men, and there was nothing sexual or weird about it at all.
Yeah it's nothing more than cultural norms. There's nothing innately feminine about most clothing. Although I doubt the trend will change soon, worldwide it seems skirts or 'dresses' are only the norm in very few places in the world. In Sri Lanka I saw a lot of men wearing long traditional 'skirts' (mostly older men) and after awhile one does not even notice.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:36 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post

Wow, you must be pretty loaded. But how old are you, dude? You look like a middle aged Asian lady lol...

Old 12-03-2013, 12:07 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
I remember back when it wasn't okay for girls to wear pants to school. On Friday we had jeans day and everyone wore them, but the rest of the time girls were supposed to be in skirts. I'm sure that some of the skirts barely covered the underthings was one reason they relented.

Mom dressed me in frilly little dresses with lace on them. Dumped them at thirteen. But by the time I was in high school we wore jeans as much as 'female atire'. Today nobody even sees most of the types of clothes women adopted as anything but unisex.

I like floor lenght skirts and do occasionally wear them. I have a floor length coat and like wearing it with lace up to knee boots. (nobody can claim I'm 'ordinary') I like stuff like this now and then since it does draw a lot of attention which is fun. But I dress very simply most of the time, never in skirts. But I think a guy who happens to think a skirt or dress is comfortable and would rather dress that way should be able to too, without it being a show. Clothes are for us, and what we find to our liking. Why not?

Now kilts. Yummy, especially with the rest of the traditional stuff and the boots. Add bagpipes, (well played or not played) and even better.

I think we all have a special love in clothes. Mine is boots. I even wear them in the summer. If your special thing is unconventional, then I don't see why not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty