U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:53 AM

11,882 posts, read 11,550,037 times

Advertisements

Mom usually buys clothes for me, but for things I have asked her to purchase on my behalf, here is the breakdown:

T shirts or Polos: $7-15 (Depends on quality)
Jeans: $10-25
Shorts: $5-18 (Again, depends on type and quality)
Sneakers: $25-40 (But usually don't last more than 1 year)
Dress Shoes: $45-60
Oxford Shirts: $35-50
Trench Coat: Only have one and bought it for $52.50
Jackets: $20-50 (Depends on type)
Sweaters: $10-25 (I buy them on Clearance in June)
Tank Undershirts: $10-15 for a pack of 4
Socks & Underwear: I DON'T GIVE A DAMN .
Suit Jacket: Only bought one, and got it for $69

Mens wear is much cheaper than womens wear. I would save a fortune going single
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 12:21 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,229,740 times
It's amazing what you can get when you know people on the inside. One of my buddies works at an American Eagle and gets the 40% employee discount. That stacks on top of whatever store sale is going on. Needless to say, 75% of my stuff now comes from that store. And dirt cheap, too.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:18 PM

627 posts, read 1,198,952 times
Wow I must be really cheap compared to most because I dont like paying over $20 for anything except shoes. I shop all clearance, sales, online, thrift stores or Ebay/Craigslist. I tend to buy alot of our stuff "end of season" sales- Thank you Old Navy and Kohls =) ($80 boots for $15...sure I will, Thankyou!)

The most I spend is on sneakers for my children and thats usually $30 for my toddler and $100 for my tween.
Jeans= no more than $20
Shirts= no more than $10

Ive resisted buying from Walmart since their quality doesnt seem to last, but Target's clothes last just as good as Macys. I will go into a store in the mall and go straight for the clearance rack...if nothing interesting, then I just leave. Ive found that if I start looking around then I will make excuses to buy that $45 shirt and then feel horrible about it later...so Ive found my walk away strategy to be the most effective.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:13 PM

14,249 posts, read 19,498,635 times
You know I can take 25.00 to the thrift store and come out with my whole wardrobe for whichever season and or maybe a couple for the coming season . I love it . alot of times I find name brand stuff for cheap . I found a lands end 50.00 winter hat in there for 2.50 and I bought it . I also usually find good quality wool gloves for about .99 cents . cant beat that . I have also found my workout clothes for little to nothing as well . I worked in an office at one time and the girls always asked where I got my clothes from and I am talking two piece suits and they could not believe I found something so stylish and nice at the thrift stores ...they were just in awe . Some of them started shopping the thrifts after that .

Old 12-03-2013, 05:50 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,721,801 times
I'll buy at thrift stores, but I look for quality labels...I think that is a great way to go.

Otherwise I'll do Kohls or eBay or other online retailers. Again, I look for high-quality clothing but without the high-quality retail price.

I tend not to buy cheap Walmart-type clothing. And I will spend money ($100-200) on very good quality shoes and boots.
I have some LL Bean winterwear and fleece that is about 20 years old and despite countless wearings and washings still looks very good and is functional. It makes no economic sense to buy Chinese-made crap that barely lasts a year. In the long run, IMHO, it's better to buy better quality.

Underwear....well I do like quality bras but as far as undies and socks I am fairly indifferent.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:36 PM

748 posts, read 1,445,627 times
Jeans / Jean Shorts - No more then $30.00
Tops - I try to keep it $20.00 and under the most I'll spend is around $30.00, on a rare ocassion I spend up to $60 at Polo.
Shoes - I wear flip flops mostly and those are 2 for $5.00
Khaki shorts / pants - $20.00-$30.00
Beachwear - No more then $20.00 a item, generally like to stay around $14.00 each.
I wear hoodies instead of jackets - around $30.00
Gloves, and winter accessories I can pick up as needed at Old Navy for nearly nothing.
Handbags - I've been know to spend up to $1,000
Socks - A few bucks here and there but don't much wear them.
Boots - Uggs, or Ugg look a likes. I've had my Uggs for a year and have yet to put them on my feet.
Underwear -$20-$30

Old 12-03-2013, 09:45 PM

14,790 posts, read 14,423,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
These are in Australian dollars (which, conveniently, is almost exactly the same worth as an American dollar) in Australia, where prices are a bit more than there (although surprisingly Europe seemed more expensive). But I'm just curious, how much would you typical pay for various items of clothing?

For me:

Pair of jeans: No more than $100, with is a pair of Levi's I have. I've bought jeans as cheap as $25 though (they lasted a couple of years).

Ditto for pair of pants. I generally would aim for the $30-60 mark (so Target etc haha).

For shorts, probably a bit cheaper than pants in general. I've never paid more than $40 for a pair of shorts.

For a simple T-shirt, most of my T-shirts are either band/music or travel related. The travel ones, souvenirs picked up while travelling, are typically from as cheap as $5 to maybe $25. I also have some singlets I bought overseas for a similar price.

For a polo shirt, there's no way I'd splurge on a $150 Lacoste or something. For me $60 is already expensive.

For a nice dress shirt or for going out, no more than $90-100 again.

The most expensive jacket I have is a pleather 'fake leather' one that cost me $150. It's very warm and comfy, but I wouldn't pay hundreds for a jacket.

For underwear i think it's ridiculous to buy expensive undies, personally. $5-10 a pair or maybe $20 for a pack is typical lol.

For shoes - well I'm still wearing a pair of Nikes I bought for $80 in the US that are 2 1/2 years old. I wear them most days. That should tell you something.

So obviously not much of a fashionista lol...As for how often I buy clothes? Whenever I need to, really. That means when an article of clothing is literally falling apart at the seams, not because it's 6 months 'out of fashion' lol.
My purchases can be pricy, but they last years. Last thing I got was a pair of Converse $90. Am sure they're not that expensive in the US.

I try to buy from local designers, which can be a bit more expensive.

We get ripped off. Being a woman, moreso Australians paying up to 200 per cent more for cosmetics

Old 12-03-2013, 10:50 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,536,378 times
Similar prices as folks here, when not on sale. But mostly sale and thrift stores.

I get sexy underwear at TJMaxx for 99 cents. I have even seen La Perla there. It was more expensive: $1.99 .

Old 12-03-2013, 10:58 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,550,037 times
Mom actually says I am paying too much for my jeans if its more than $20. She is an excellent shopper when it comes to selecting deals though. At one point, she bought $101 worth of items for just $17 using deals and coupons. I am yet to see someone that thrifty.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:15 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,784,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Mom usually buys clothes for me, but for things I have asked her to purchase on my behalf, here is the breakdown:

T shirts or Polos: $7-15 (Depends on quality)
Jeans: $10-25
Shorts: $5-18 (Again, depends on type and quality)
Sneakers: $25-40 (But usually don't last more than 1 year)
Dress Shoes: $45-60
Oxford Shirts: $35-50
Trench Coat: Only have one and bought it for $52.50
Jackets: $20-50 (Depends on type)
Sweaters: $10-25 (I buy them on Clearance in June)
Tank Undershirts: $10-15 for a pack of 4
Socks & Underwear: I DON'T GIVE A DAMN .
Suit Jacket: Only bought one, and got it for $69

Mens wear is much cheaper than womens wear. I would save a fortune going single
You buy clothes for your sweetheart? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty