U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 07:59 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,570,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Numbers represent -uppermost limit on cost and (number owned)
Pants-300 (2)
Jeans/Khakis-100 (5)
Shirts (not white) -100 (4)
Shirts (white) -50 (5)
Sneakers -100 (2)
Shoes -300 (4)
Socks-10
Underwear-10
Bra -100
Coat -300 (1)
Blazer -200 (2)
Sweater -200 (4)

Put I literally can count all of the items I own. I didn't include layering items like the handful of Ts and camis.
That's a fortune of money .

Are you serious, $ 200 for a sweater, $ 300 for shoes, $ 100 for sneakers & Jeans. Where the heck do you buy clothes. Most items are cheaper than that under regular price ranges where I live. I have never seen Khaki's and Jeans for $ 100 (even in the women's section). Even premium quality clothes could be bought at prices lower than the upper bound prices you mention.

Buy more quantity and pay less money. Sorry to say, but it looks like you need to be schooled on how to shop for clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 08:08 PM

Its impossible for my clothes to last more than 3 years. My body shape keeps changing, so I am obliged to keep changing the clothes I buy as well. Every 3 years, I must overhaul my wardrobe. The perils of an adolescent male . Hopefully my growth spurt has ended.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:15 PM

16,833 posts, read 14,592,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
That's a fortune of money .

Are you serious, $ 200 for a sweater, $ 300 for shoes, $ 100 for sneakers & Jeans. Where the heck do you buy clothes. Most items are cheaper than that under regular price ranges where I live. I have never seen Khaki's and Jeans for $ 100 (even in the women's section). Even premium quality clothes could be bought at prices lower than the upper bound prices you mention.

Buy more quantity and pay less money. Sorry to say, but it looks like you need to be schooled on how to shop for clothes.
Sorry kiddo but many people prefer the capsule wardrobe. And you are really out of touch with "premium" I do not wear premium clothes, I could not afford premium clothes. I wear middling to upper middle level of designers.
Capsule wardrobe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, just as an example, not that I wear these particular brands
designer denim | Nordstrom

But $100 for jeans is by no means "high".

Same with khakis.
khakis | Nordstrom

And yes, a cashmere sweater, is going to cost in the hundreds. Luckily they last forever. Much longer than cotton sweaters.

Oh and I live in Central NJ. Just like you do. Many of the women I know wear real designers, Chanel, DVF, and Stella McCartney. Not most, but many.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:21 PM

16,833 posts, read 14,592,788 times
Quote:
Its impossible for my clothes to last more than 3 years. My body shape keeps changing, so I am obliged to keep changing the clothes I buy as well. Every 3 years, I must overhaul my wardrobe. The perils of an adolescent male . Hopefully my growth spurt has ended.
True but I have been the same size since I was in my 20s. My daughter is 19, she has just started buying "real" wardrobe pieces. She got a great camel coat that will last 15+ years, and she got it for less $200. Good for her.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:23 PM

14,769 posts, read 16,788,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
Very curious now. Why??
Middle aged adults here love them. Especially the Italians.
Canali is more entry-level to good clothes. Both aren't really ever bought for anything close to full price. Kiton is usually $2-3k. Pricey, but not that much more than BB Golden Fleece.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:23 PM

44,208 posts, read 54,383,178 times
$100 for jeans?
$40 for shorts?

Are you for real?

Old 12-04-2013, 08:25 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,813,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
$100 for jeans?
$40 for shorts?

Are you for real?
Yeah, for many people that would be cheap lol...things are more expensive here though, though I didn't find the US radically different actually.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Sorry kiddo but many people prefer the capsule wardrobe. And you are really out of touch with "premium" I do not wear premium clothes, I could not afford premium clothes. I wear middling to upper middle level of designers.
Capsule wardrobe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, just as an example, not that I wear these particular brands
designer denim | Nordstrom

But $100 for jeans is by no means "high".

Same with khakis.
khakis | Nordstrom

And yes, a cashmere sweater, is going to cost in the hundreds. Luckily they last forever. Much longer than cotton sweaters.

Oh and I live in Central NJ. Just like you do. Many of the women I know wear real designers, Chanel, DVF, and Stella McCartney. Not most, but many.

I am really sorry for my reply. I never attested to buying such expensive stuff. I might not have set such a high benchmark for quality and longevity till now since my body shape keeps changing frequently and things that fit just a few years back never fit me today. Maybe I could attest to your views once my growth spurt stabilizes. However, its my opinion that mens clothing is usually a whole lot cheaper.

I usually just wear T shirts & Jeans with sneakers and slip on a hoodie and gloves during the winter if I need to go outside. Usually end up wearing business attire like trench coats & suits only a handful of times every year for the Rutgers career fairs.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:55 PM

319 posts, read 394,897 times
Most of my stuff is given to me or bought at the thrift store, but when I buy new, I spend:

maybe $10 on sweatshirts and hoodies
no more than $20 on shorts or jeans
about $5 for a T-shirt
$5 to $10 for packs of underwear or socks
anywhere from $5 to $40 for shoes, depending on what kind of shoe it is (flip-flop, snow boot, sneaker)

I haven't bought a coat in years, but the last one I bought I spent about $120 on. I'm hoping it lasts forever.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:32 PM

27,330 posts, read 30,604,000 times
Quote:
I don't understand why you would pay $150 for women's dress shoes when my mom bought an expensive, yet sleek pair of shoes for $ 66.00. They look really nice, and Ma says they are super comfy as well. They have lasted for well over a year now and show no sign of wear.
A year? I am hoping for 5 years. I have some dress shoes from like 2002 still in my wardrobe that still get wear.

I shop high and low depending on the item.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty