Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 10:17 PM

9,572 posts, read 20,711,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Mom actually says I am paying too much for my jeans if its more than $20. She is an excellent shopper when it comes to selecting deals though. At one point, she bought $101 worth of items for just $17 using deals and coupons. I am yet to see someone that thrifty.
I bought the same pair of target jeans and eventually holes would form. Price doesn't always equal quality but I've found it quite often does. Above say $60-70 though I find durability doesn't improve much. You're paying more for brand name. Since I buy clothes so rarely (I expect a pair of jeans to last at least 2-3 years with frequent wear) it's a practical investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 10:40 PM

21,696 posts, read 24,888,324 times
Pair of jeans: $30-40. Levi's 501s, I just wait for them to go on sale. Last time I got cheap on jeans they lasted a few weeks before the fabric just started disintegration. You know it's cheap when it's the fabric that's been washed once that goes and not the seams. $17 WalMart jeans good for five wears or $30 Levis that last a few hundred. Not a hard choice.

pants: ~$200.

For shorts: I got some converse cargo shorts at the outlet in college 6-7 years ago. No idea what I paid for them. Still wear 'em a few times a year.

For a simple T-shirt: $10

For a polo shirt: Don't wear them.

Dress shirts: $200. Usually in the $100-150 range.

jacket: $400-500, but honestly I live in California. I have a 20-year-old down jacket as it is if I go up to the snow so...

For underwear: $5 or so.

For shoes: $400 for shoes, $50 for sneakers.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:24 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,397,203 times
Postman - for work: Brooks Brothers (or equivalent) suit or coat / slacks (+$500 usually on sale), white dress shirt (~$95), tie (+$50), Alden dress shoes (~$300). For hard work: Carhartt canvas pants (~$40) and t-shirt (ranging from $1 at thrift store to beer swag). Other stuff: boxers (3 for $40, just got some on sale), dress socks (+$10 pair), dress belt (~$100), casual belt (~$40), polo shirts (~$80), cotton button downs (~$80), khaki shorts (~$60). Just got a new pair of Nike Pegasus running shoes (~$100) - I've been wearing that same type for a long time.

If I could I would wear shorts and maybe a t-shirt all year round... Yep, I'm a bogan.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:11 AM

9,572 posts, read 20,711,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Pair of jeans: $30-40. Levi's 501s, I just wait for them to go on sale. Last time I got cheap on jeans they lasted a few weeks before the fabric just started disintegration. You know it's cheap when it's the fabric that's been washed once that goes and not the seams. $17 WalMart jeans good for five wears or $30 Levis that last a few hundred. Not a hard choice.

pants: ~$200.

For shorts: I got some converse cargo shorts at the outlet in college 6-7 years ago. No idea what I paid for them. Still wear 'em a few times a year.

For a simple T-shirt: $10

For a polo shirt: Don't wear them.

Dress shirts: $200. Usually in the $100-150 range.

jacket: $400-500, but honestly I live in California. I have a 20-year-old down jacket as it is if I go up to the snow so...

For underwear: $5 or so.

For shoes: $400 for shoes, $50 for sneakers.
Levi's for $30? That's absurd lol. Yet you pay $200 for shirts? Even more absurd lol.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:23 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,497,086 times
In general, I am less willing to spend over £100 on a piece of clothing. I can easily get good clothes from places that don't charge high prices - and that doesn't mean shopping at a supermarket. This is where I get a lot of clothes from: http://www.asos.com/?hrd=1&mkwid=sgj...FYUewwodcCQA1g

I'd pay in excess of £100 on a parka though, and have done. It's hard to find a really good parka for under £100.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:27 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,059,480 times
I have never spent near what any of you have on clothing.
I have a few shirts that I paid $7.00 for about 20 years ago and I wear them often and wash them just as often.
All of my jeans are at least 5 years old but I had to purchase new jeans since I lost so much weight and I paid about $12.00 for each pair.
Unders are a different story though, they don't last as long as outer clothing.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:58 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,996,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I have never spent near what any of you have on clothing.
I have a few shirts that I paid $7.00 for about 20 years ago and I wear them often and wash them just as often.
All of my jeans are at least 5 years old but I had to purchase new jeans since I lost so much weight and I paid about $12.00 for each pair.
Unders are a different story though, they don't last as long as outer clothing.

Like I said my limit is 25.00....and that lasts me about 2 yrs ....yes I will wear things over and over again .

Old 12-04-2013, 07:35 AM

3,746 posts, read 5,819,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Most things are in the $30-$50 range.
I shop sales racks, outlets and online. I hardly ever pay full retail for anything.
Yes, this is my philosophy!! I like name brand clothing but try to buy at outlets ( Brooks Brothers as example), sale catalogues and sale racks as you can get classic looking clothes that will last for years. Watching sales and never pay retail. I will say that once I bought a shirt at Walmart as our suitcase had got lost on an airline and we were going to my daughter's graduation and we needed clothes for early the next morning. It was an inexpensive shirt but it has held up well and still looks good. I will admit that I did pay full price for a Ralph Lauren black velvet sport coat as it fit so well and I knew it would be gone by the time the sales would start. But never regretted it, looks terrific after 10 years. :-)
I do enjoy shopping on Ebay and have gotten some good bargains, Orvis shirts ( which I get compliments on ) Pendelton sport coat for very little, Armani suit. It is somewhat of a hobby to look for stuff there. BTW, have gotten very good deals on authentic Louis Vuitton as well on Ebay, got to do your homework, though. :-)

Old 12-04-2013, 07:50 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,160,095 times
It seems like some of you here are overpaying for stuff. I would NEVER pay a triple digit price for clothing unless absolutely Necessary at the moment. Buying on clearance and off season saves you a TON of money.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:58 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,665,464 times
I have found brand new, tags still on, at the local church-run thrift stores. Some companies donate leftover clothing & shoes. It's not consistent but worth browsing. I also buy vintage pieces on eBay and from Land's End online. I can get a new Jantzen swimsuit for less than $40 on eBay and it lasts several years of 3xweek swimmimg. I think K-Mart clothing is superior to Wal-Mart and buy plain cotton pants/shorts there. Again, good for 3-4 years.

Shoes: zappos or DSW. I have paid $150 or so but now try to stay under $60 on clearance.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty