U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-04-2013, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn New York
15,791 posts, read 25,799,618 times
Reputation: 21286

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
as far as i know earings serve no purpose but as a "decoration"

as a manly man with rugged good looks i never had an incling to put decorations on my ears or anywhere else

but to each his own

as a gay man with rugged good looks also, me either.


actually, I hate jewelry and see no purpose in it what so ever, other than a "wedding ring", and a "watch" that is all I wear, and that's enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2013, 07:38 PM
 
994 posts, read 1,315,017 times
Reputation: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I think times have changed. It used to be that if a guy had an earring, however small, he was labeled as gay. Now, I see athletes and other movie stars wearing them.
I think it's turning the other way again. I'm a young adult, and I've noticed that my male peers who have their ears pierced tend to be 1) ghetto or blue collar "cool" 2) punk/skater/alternative or 3) stereotypically gay. Regular guys (straight or gay) think better of being so flamboyant. In fact, I'd say the hot look for men these days is to look somewhat understated.

There's nothing wrong with the gold chain. Again, that's a popular trend for a certain type of guy (mostly rappers and aspiring rappers), but a religious chain is forgivable on any guy. I think it's pretty cute, actually, if it's a thin chain as opposed to a thick one and it's worn under the shirt. I do think it's funny that it's only called a chain when a guy wears it - let's call it what it is: a necklace.

The bracelet, though? That's kinda weird for a guy. A watch is hot so long as it's clearly valuable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 07:40 PM
 
16,833 posts, read 14,601,495 times
Reputation: 20764
Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
When I was in NYC this was never a problem. But when I came down to Atlanta, my sexual orientation came into question solely because of the jewelry that I wear. I think it's a ridiculous accusation to make simply because of...jewelry! My friend down here said men who wear jewelry in the south are typically gay. Is this true? I do notice less men wearing gold necklaces and bracelets, but how does that mean you're gay if you do wear them?

On a normal day, I typically wear a nice gold chain with a crucifix that was given to me by my grandmother. I sometimes wear diamond earrings (not huge gangster ones) on occasion along with a gold watch and bracelet.

People down here have labeled me as a "Guido" just because of the chain and cross I wear. Which makes no sense because I'm not Italian...I'm black.

Are men not seen wearing gold crosses down here because Catholicism isn't dominate? Is it just an old way of thinking?

For the record, I have no problem with gay people. I just don't like being labeled like that since I'm straight.
How old are you? If you are over 25 then wearing more than a watch and MAYBE a subtle necklace is a little...I don't know....like you are trying to be a juicehead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 07:43 PM
 
16,833 posts, read 14,601,495 times
Reputation: 20764
Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
Interesting replies. One poster mentioned it's "how you wear it". That makes a lot of sense to me.

Today I wore an outfit that looks somewhat like this:



I had my gold chain and cross underneath the shirt with a gold watch and gold bracelet on. Along with diamond studs in my ears. Not big and flashy ones.

Does that scream a certain sexual orientation to any of you?
Look, even Coco Chanel said you should remove the last item you put on before you leave the house.

So really, lose the earrings or maybe the bracelet. Both is definitely sending a message. I am not sure if the message is gay, but it is definitely a message.

How old are you btw?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 07:48 PM
 
Location: The A
386 posts, read 564,058 times
Reputation: 489
I'm not sure what my age has to do with anything since I'm trying to see in general why people would assume a guy is gay simply because he wears jewelry.

And yes, all my jewelry is real and has often been given to me by family members (for example my first gold chain and crucifix was my grandfather's)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 08:10 PM
 
16,833 posts, read 14,601,495 times
Reputation: 20764
Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
I'm not sure what my age has to do with anything since I'm trying to see in general why people would assume a guy is gay simply because he wears jewelry.
Really? Earrings have been associated to some degree or another with being gay for many years. First it was one earring, than two. Young men and teens have made it less of a statement, to wear two earrings. If you are in that age group it would be less of a statement. If you are outside that age group, than yes, many would associate wearing two earring with being gay.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with wearing something because there is some association with being gay.

You asked for opinions. Most opinions are that your are wearing more jewelry than most would find attractive. You can either wear less, or risk not attracting those people who like less jewelry. Either is a perfectly acceptable choice. Arguing about peoples' opinion seems a little silly though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 08:14 PM
 
18,847 posts, read 32,536,252 times
Reputation: 26161
Miami, all men wear bling, all the time. Las Vegas, lots of men wear bling. Montana, no men wear any jewelry, and if you do, make sure it is a wedding ring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 10:20 PM
 
1,316 posts, read 2,272,770 times
Reputation: 1300
I dunno. I used to like my mood ring back in the '70s when I was a kid. It just seemed so, I don't know, exotic? Wonderful? And very worldly to a young person. I don't think that seemed gay at the time. I want to buy another mood ring, just for the memory!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,819,140 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Diamond earrings? And you're wondering why people think you're gay?? Maybe one earring would be OK, maybe. But a pair? Dude!
How very ironic you say that Ruth. I was told that 'one earring means gay'. That it was some kind of 'code' among gay men to identify each other. I have no idea how true that is, that's just what I was told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2013, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,819,140 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
i dont really judge someones sexuality from what they wear, including two earrings on a guy. with that said what i do know is that the guy is a metrosexual. most metrosexuals are labeled as gay by other men because they care too much about their looks, and it takes them just as long if not longer than a woman to get ready. its about the closest you can get to being gay, without being gay (if that makes sense)
What about being bisexual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:35 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top