U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 12:21 AM

3,250 posts, read 4,333,148 times

Advertisements

Atlanta is the Capital of the South. It's also America's Black Capital (Unless Prince George's County has taken the lead). There is enormous social stratification among Atlanta's Blacks. There are Black Aristocrats, some descended from Blacks who owned plantations and slaves. There is a large Black Upper Middle Class, and a gigantic Black Middle Class. All of these people enjoy social parity with Whites of similar income. This has been the case since the Seventies.

Many among Atlanta's Black Upper Middle Class are third and fourth generation college graduates. Morehouse and Spelman Colleges are the Black equivalent of Harvard and Radcliffe, or Yale and Vassar. And in many ways, they put the White schools to shame, when it comes to shaping truly classy individuals.

Attitudes and tastes in Black Atlanta have long been shaped by students/grads of Spelman and Morehouse. Quiet good taste (and, to be blunt, not looking 'ghetto') is highly valued in better Black circles in Atlanta.

It is important to realize that the South's upper classes outclass those of New York City, and have done so, for hundreds of years. Many are descended from no immigrants (having been in America since before the founding of the United States), and can trace their ancestry back to English and Scottish nobility. Contrast that with the crowd you see on Long Island, and trace their forebears' recent arrivals from unsavory places in Southern and Eastern Europe.

Blacks, in the South, had greater access to the White Aristocracy than did poor Whites. Poor Whites were valued less than were Blacks, and lived in fear-and-loathing of the Aristocracy. Blacks were considered to be extended family, by the Aristos, while Poor Whites were considered a pox in need of extermination. So, Blacks in the South had greater opportunities to absorb the exquisite tastes and sensibilities of the Aristocracy. In fact, many Blacks eventually became Aristocracy.

Exquisite tastes and sensibilities, in the South, tend to proscribe (forbid) the sort of jewelery you are describing. The sorts of Black men you will see wearing jewelry like that will be at the opposite end of the social spectrum from the Morehouse/Spelman crowd.

The Black Middle and Upper classes will regard that look in the same way that better Southern Whites regard 'Rickies and Tawnyuhs' (with amusement/derision). A Morehouse fraternity man would wear jewelry, if he were dressing as 'Dolomite', for Halloween, just as a white Sorority suzie at Tulane would put on 'big White Trash hair' for Halloween. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLn06mhmg6o and the White version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1tCiq8bZ74

But where are you in Atlanta? And who is saying these things to you? Like I said, the town is stratified, socially, and attitudes will vary. Are you running around BUCKHEAD, dressed like that? Stone Mountain? Where are you?

But anyway, NO! I don't consider jewelry on men to be "Gay". Two of my closest friends and business associates (my Decorator and my Ad Man) are Gay, and neither wears any jewelry at all (unless you count cufflinks). In fact, they've gotten out of the habit of putting on their watches, now that Cell Phones give the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 12:59 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,167,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
What about being bisexual?
Then two earrings in each ear!

Old 12-05-2013, 07:17 AM

15,785 posts, read 25,739,113 times
it is all because of the american mentality again.
if men wear this they are labeled that.
men can only do this or they are that.

no matter what it is men cant this.

one poster said "it was werid for a man to wear a bracelet", it is the year 2013, what is so "weird" about men wearing a bracelet? maybe the poster is from the stone age, or perhaps Amish, but to call it weird? just what was the poster getting at.

Now again, while i really hate jewelry, if I see a man, boy, guy wearing a bracelet, I wouldn't think it is weird.

oh wait, i have 3 sons, so i have already seen just about every type of fashion / accessorie there is to see.......and what do i think?, nothing, I think nothing about it. Why should it phase me?

Old 12-05-2013, 08:28 AM

17,529 posts, read 14,492,445 times
The "he must be gay" derives from the puritan traits this country has. Throughout history in a lot of western cultures, men wearing jewelry has been common, and often a symbol of status.

The puritan traits in this country which has strongly influenced American culture, has some people beleiving that a man who wears things like ear rings msut be "gay", act like a girl, whatever. This same cultural trait also has people beleiving also sorts of things about people, many of these are the threads we see here on this forum.

To add (the rest got deleted somehow?):

This same trait is also engaged in by for example gays (since this is the topic). Many gays also started having a style that made them stand out to show they are gay (how else can people many times tell a person's sexual preference?), this was to contrast was of course society expected of them. So for example, while in NYC a man wearing earrings is normal, in a place like Atlanta, it may be associated with gays due to most men who wear earrings are gay. So when the NYC guy comes to Atlanta, of course many people, including gays, are going to think he is gay.

Last edited by boxus; 12-05-2013 at 08:52 AM..

Old 12-05-2013, 08:39 AM

13,515 posts, read 14,758,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Its presumed to be gay in NYC also. However, in NYC, its not an issue to be gay, thats why its no hassle. You're confusing the two things.
I haven't lived in NYC since the end of the Nineties, but at that time guys wore various types of jewelry and I never heard any guy labelled "gay" because of it.

Sounds like the town has changed.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:55 AM

2,865 posts, read 2,900,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Earrings on a guy is ......gay!
I've always thought it was a little wishy washy.

And I'm saying this as someone who has been labeled "metrosexual" at times and growing up in a very liberal inner city St. Paul, MN.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:03 AM

5,378 posts, read 5,357,954 times
[quote=Ace_TX;32487226]as far as i know earings serve no purpose but as a "decoration"[quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
actually, I hate jewelry and see no purpose in it what so ever,

It gives the owner something to (female canine) about when their ornamental baubles get lost, stolen, or broken.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 AM

4,881 posts, read 5,009,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
it is all because of the american mentality again.
if men wear this they are labeled that.
men can only do this or they are that.
no matter what it is men cant this.
one poster said "it was werid for a man to wear a bracelet", it is the year 2013, what is so "weird" about men wearing a bracelet? maybe the poster is from the stone age, or perhaps Amish, but to call it weird? just what was the poster getting at.

.......and what do i think?, nothing, I think nothing about it. Why should it phase me?
Does anyone remember Johnny Venture or disco? Guys wore jewelry. Musicians
did too. Couldn't find too many authentic pictures (several about the 70's fashion for men but are
revamped versions of the decade). Posted 2 links.

RIP
http://www.ambuji.com/wp-content/upl...070112-061.jpg

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/P...t-Fever-05.jpg

Old 12-05-2013, 04:58 PM

2,890 posts, read 3,211,469 times
...a "black", "gay", "Guido"?

...alrighty then

People in the South have lots of hangups, apparently, but we already knew that.

Or maybe it's that they're more "simple" in appearance and less flashy?

To them, flash/bling = gay.

Yes, it's lame, but what are you gonna do?

...And yes, in the Northeast, Italian Catholic men usually wear gold chains and religious medals and nobody questions their masculinity. Or dares to? lol.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:05 PM

2,890 posts, read 3,211,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Atlanta is the Capital of the South. It's also America's Black Capital (Unless Prince George's County has taken the lead). There is enormous social stratification among Atlanta's Blacks. There are Black Aristocrats, some descended from Blacks who owned plantations and slaves. There is a large Black Upper Middle Class, and a gigantic Black Middle Class. All of these people enjoy social parity with Whites of similar income. This has been the case since the Seventies.

Many among Atlanta's Black Upper Middle Class are third and fourth generation college graduates. Morehouse and Spelman Colleges are the Black equivalent of Harvard and Radcliffe, or Yale and Vassar. And in many ways, they put the White schools to shame, when it comes to shaping truly classy individuals.

Attitudes and tastes in Black Atlanta have long been shaped by students/grads of Spelman and Morehouse. Quiet good taste (and, to be blunt, not looking 'ghetto') is highly valued in better Black circles in Atlanta.

It is important to realize that the South's upper classes outclass those of New York City, and have done so, for hundreds of years. Many are descended from no immigrants (having been in America since before the founding of the United States), and can trace their ancestry back to English and Scottish nobility. Contrast that with the crowd you see on Long Island, and trace their forebears' recent arrivals from unsavory places in Southern and Eastern Europe.

Blacks, in the South, had greater access to the White Aristocracy than did poor Whites. Poor Whites were valued less than were Blacks, and lived in fear-and-loathing of the Aristocracy. Blacks were considered to be extended family, by the Aristos, while Poor Whites were considered a pox in need of extermination. So, Blacks in the South had greater opportunities to absorb the exquisite tastes and sensibilities of the Aristocracy. In fact, many Blacks eventually became Aristocracy.

Exquisite tastes and sensibilities, in the South, tend to proscribe (forbid) the sort of jewelery you are describing. The sorts of Black men you will see wearing jewelry like that will be at the opposite end of the social spectrum from the Morehouse/Spelman crowd.

The Black Middle and Upper classes will regard that look in the same way that better Southern Whites regard 'Rickies and Tawnyuhs' (with amusement/derision). A Morehouse fraternity man would wear jewelry, if he were dressing as 'Dolomite', for Halloween, just as a white Sorority suzie at Tulane would put on 'big White Trash hair' for Halloween. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLn06mhmg6o and the White version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1tCiq8bZ74

But where are you in Atlanta? And who is saying these things to you? Like I said, the town is stratified, socially, and attitudes will vary. Are you running around BUCKHEAD, dressed like that? Stone Mountain? Where are you?

But anyway, NO! I don't consider jewelry on men to be "Gay". Two of my closest friends and business associates (my Decorator and my Ad Man) are Gay, and neither wears any jewelry at all (unless you count cufflinks). In fact, they've gotten out of the habit of putting on their watches, now that Cell Phones give the time.
fascinating insight! Thanks for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty