U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 06:55 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,737,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
When I was in NYC this was never a problem. But when I came down to Atlanta, my sexual orientation came into question solely because of the jewelry that I wear. I think it's a ridiculous accusation to make simply because of...jewelry! My friend down here said men who wear jewelry in the south are typically gay. Is this true? I do notice less men wearing gold necklaces and bracelets, but how does that mean you're gay if you do wear them?

On a normal day, I typically wear a nice gold chain with a crucifix that was given to me by my grandmother. I sometimes wear diamond earrings (not huge gangster ones) on occasion along with a gold watch and bracelet.

People down here have labeled me as a "Guido" just because of the chain and cross I wear. Which makes no sense because I'm not Italian...I'm black.

Are men not seen wearing gold crosses down here because Catholicism isn't dominate? Is it just an old way of thinking?

For the record, I have no problem with gay people. I just don't like being labeled like that since I'm straight.
Maybe you should stop hanging out with fashion police. Why are you so concerned with what other people think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 07:01 PM

8,874 posts, read 13,896,888 times
Quote:
Interesting replies. One poster mentioned it's "how you wear it". That makes a lot of sense to me.

Today I wore an outfit that looks somewhat like this:

I had my gold chain and cross underneath the shirt with a gold watch and gold bracelet on. Along with diamond studs in my ears. Not big and flashy ones.

Does that scream a certain sexual orientation to any of you?
That's a very fashion-forward look. If you're thin enough to pull off the clothes cut close to the body, more power to you. And hats are always a distinctive look. If you really ARE worried so much about what others think about you, you can and should choose outfits (jewelry and clothes) that draw less attention. But why would you, if you appreciate style, can afford to buy fashionable clothing, and have the physique to wear it? If people have a problem with your clothes, THEY have a problem. Not you.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:13 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,737,927 times
I'm gay and the closest thing I have to jewelry is an old cell phone. Let's stop with the ignorant, childish stereotypes shall we.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:47 PM

3,249 posts, read 4,328,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
I'm gay and the closest thing I have to jewelry is an old cell phone. Let's stop with the ignorant, childish stereotypes shall we.
Indeed! I think a lot of people here have 'Gay' confused with 'Drag Queen'. 'Gay' does not mean 'Effeminate', nor does it mean 'Transgendered'. And even effeminate Gay men do not generally dress flamboyantly. Most do everything possible to avoid visual clues which might set them apart from the 'norm'.

Anyway, here's a Gay Decorator (not my Decorator), Roger Hazard, who has a TV show: http://www.dallasvoice.com/wp-conten...0942625823.jpg . And here's his Husband: http://www.decadeshome.com/images/post/32_chris.jpg Aside from the wedding ring, do you see any jewelry? And these two are in a profession which most Gay men consider "One of the Big Three" (Decorator, Hairdresser, Florist), which generally render a man an Untouchable in Gay Society (acceptable lines of work include Army Master Sargent, Physician, Attorney, Trucker, Rancher, Software Engineer, Scientist, and anything in Construction).

From what I can piece together, If you are not in one of the 'acceptable' professions, you have to look like Roger Hazard and his Husband to be accepted within Gay circles. And if you don't look like that, you can count on never finding a significant other.

My Decorator does not look like that. He's from an ancient Semitic family, whose five-thousand-year history has selected for brains and agility - not strength and massiveness. Despite decades of sustained effort (I've been in the gym when he was there, and have seen, first-hand...he lifts with the big boys, but just doesn't get big), he just doesn't have the muscle fibers (nor was he blessed with beautifying Celtic/Slavic body fat patterns, as seems to be the case with Mr. Hazard). Hit with the double-curse of being in a Creative profession, and being "too refined-looking", My Decorator has been shunned by the Gay Community, and thus has never been in a romantic relationship. In fact, he has no Gay friends at all.

He and my Ad Man dress in precisely the same way as do my Husband and Sons. In good weather (or reliable air conditioning), they wear Oxxford/Brioni/Kiton suits, French cuffs, trad shoes, cashmere overcoats... and in bad weather (or for casual wear) they wear cargo shorts with polos, henleys, cable-knit cotton sweaters... I can't think of a single thing our Gay friends wear that would set them apart from the straight men in our world.

Oh, and my Decorator would consider Roger Hazard & Hubby to be "Too queeny", because their eyebrows have been shaped.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:33 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,064,697 times
To each their own. NOT a jewelry person myself. Only wear a watch (because I need one) and a wedding band (plain gold). I guess it goes by the culture where one is, right or wrong. That's the breaks.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:28 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,120,602 times
Where did the men wearing two earrings come from?Is it a rapper thing?I find it rather off putting and tacky no matter what the earrings are made of. Men used to buy diamond earrings for their wives as a way to show their financial success not to sport diamond earrings themselves.Same with fur coats.
Ditch the earrings-not a good look.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:03 PM

389 posts, read 583,005 times
Quote:
When I was in NYC this was never a problem. But when I came down to Atlanta, my sexual orientation came into question solely because of the jewelry that I wear. I think it's a ridiculous accusation to make simply because of...jewelry! My friend down here said men who wear jewelry in the south are typically gay. Is this true? I do notice less men wearing gold necklaces and bracelets, but how does that mean you're gay if you do wear them?

On a normal day, I typically wear a nice gold chain with a crucifix that was given to me by my grandmother. I sometimes wear diamond earrings (not huge gangster ones) on occasion along with a gold watch and bracelet.

People down here have labeled me as a "Guido" just because of the chain and cross I wear. Which makes no sense because I'm not Italian...I'm black.

Are men not seen wearing gold crosses down here because Catholicism isn't dominate? Is it just an old way of thinking?

For the record, I have no problem with gay people. I just don't like being labeled like that since I'm straight.
I've heard ATL is known for closeted gay black men. So there's that...

You're not in NY anymore. You're in the deep South, home of the good ol' boys. Very different culture.

With that said, why not just do what makes you happy, especially since you've stated your jewelry has special meaning to you?

Old 12-06-2013, 10:25 PM

4,723 posts, read 14,076,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
No, but I'd find it a bit tacky.
Me too

Old 12-08-2013, 07:49 AM

3,057 posts, read 6,733,482 times
I don't care for a lot of jewelry on men or even women. I don't like a flashy look.
Like others said you should dress in a way that makes you feel good.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:32 PM

50 posts, read 33,153 times
Hi MySpoonIsTooBig

Simply put jewellery doesn't have a sexlife so it can't be gay.

I regularly work out at a gym that is know to attract good eye-candy (both guys and girls). On a traditional day I would wear:
(1) An earing (left ear), started out as a simple stud when I was in high school has (as I've become older/larger framed/more financially secure) now become a hoop made of either gold or gold and platinum (always the real metals because I sweat and don't want my jewellery to fade).
(2) A 22k gold chocker necklace
(3) A ruby rhinestone chain (long enough to end at my breast plate).
Both chains are below my T-shirt but quite visible, and often pop out of my shirt as I move about!
(4) A watch
(5) A (dark) metal (its a precious metal that is only mined in Africa/Latin America) [looks like tungsten]wrist chain (well designed including having a central diamond), on my left hand
(6) A thumb ring on my right
(7) A mixed steel/9k gold bracelet on my right hand
And gym wear is probably the most casual you can get outside of the house (imagine what I wear when I really dress up).

Today I did a snap survey among the personal trainers at the gym, they all thought the concept of jewellery being gay was hilarious and NONE OF THEM THOUGHT MY JEWELLERY EXCESSIVE/SIGNALLYING A SEXUAL ORIENTATION. I've never had a guy feel uncomfortable around me at the juice bar/locker room or the showers.

I think its a matter of different cultures, what you're describing wouldn't bat an eyelid outside of the US so if you feel comfortable with it all power to you.

Unlike what most people in the US believe - they are not the world (So don't accept just one world view)

Treffer: Durban, South Africa (atm) [Yes the home of precious metals and gemstones, the locals here should know best!]

Last edited by Treffer; 04-20-2015 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty