Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 03:30 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times

Advertisements

Mostly young men here wear earrings - obviously studs and not hoops, lol. Usually in one year though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 04:45 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Seriously, some of the most macho men in America wear more jewelry than I do. Perhaps you could reply, "Don't you ever watch ESPN?"

I find it hard to believe people in Atlanta, especially, hold on to prejudices like that. Some of the most successful recording artists in the country are from, and often still live, in Atlanta. Ludacris, the guys from OutKast, CeeLo Green, Young Jeezy, Soulja Boy, Jermaine Dupri, 2 Chainz (see below) are just SOME names that immediately spring to mind. I don't think they are all jewelry-less.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:47 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
When I was in NYC this was never a problem. But when I came down to Atlanta, my sexual orientation came into question solely because of the jewelry that I wear. I think it's a ridiculous accusation to make simply because of...jewelry! My friend down here said men who wear jewelry in the south are typically gay. Is this true? I do notice less men wearing gold necklaces and bracelets, but how does that mean you're gay if you do wear them?

On a normal day, I typically wear a nice gold chain with a crucifix that was given to me by my grandmother. I sometimes wear diamond earrings (not huge gangster ones) on occasion along with a gold watch and bracelet.

People down here have labeled me as a "Guido" just because of the chain and cross I wear. Which makes no sense because I'm not Italian...I'm black.

Are men not seen wearing gold crosses down here because Catholicism isn't dominate? Is it just an old way of thinking?

For the record, I have no problem with gay people. I just don't like being labeled like that since I'm straight.
The surrounding culture matters a lot.

In a lot of places, men are supposed to wear ill fitting walmart jeans and ill-fitting oversized shirts and any attempt to dress with some taste is seen as suspicious and jewelry is completely forbidden.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:27 PM

386 posts, read 668,165 times
Interesting replies. One poster mentioned it's "how you wear it". That makes a lot of sense to me.

Today I wore an outfit that looks somewhat like this:

I had my gold chain and cross underneath the shirt with a gold watch and gold bracelet on. Along with diamond studs in my ears. Not big and flashy ones.

Does that scream a certain sexual orientation to any of you?

Old 12-04-2013, 05:34 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,928 times
as far as i know earings serve no purpose but as a "decoration"

as a manly man with rugged good looks i never had an incling to put decorations on my ears or anywhere else

but to each his own

Old 12-04-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:

No, but I'd find it a bit tacky.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:56 PM

386 posts, read 668,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
as far as i know earings serve no purpose but as a "decoration"

as a manly man with rugged good looks i never had an incling to put decorations on my ears or anywhere else

but to each his own
That's the thing, I don't have a rugged look at all. I basically have a manikin body. I can fit into those trendy suits that you see in the windows pretty well lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
No, but I'd find it a bit tacky.
How so?

Old 12-04-2013, 05:58 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Interesting replies. One poster mentioned it's "how you wear it". That makes a lot of sense to me.

Today I wore an outfit that looks somewhat like this:

I had my gold chain and cross underneath the shirt with a gold watch and gold bracelet on. Along with diamond studs in my ears. Not big and flashy ones.

No but it's called "doing the absolute most". Which homosexuals are known for. Just tone it down with the bling. The way Pharrell is dressed in the photo should have given you a clue. He doesn't have all of that nonsense on. He has a simple timepiece with a nice outfit and hat. It's a classic masculine clean-cut look. It's obvious you have a covetous taste for the finer things in life. But like I said, too much of anything is gaudy. Less is more. And another thing. For all that nonsense you wear, it had better be real. Otherwise you'd really be a fool.

Last edited by allenk893; 12-04-2013 at 06:10 PM..

Old 12-04-2013, 06:07 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
i dont really judge someones sexuality from what they wear, including two earrings on a guy. with that said what i do know is that the guy is a metrosexual. most metrosexuals are labeled as gay by other men because they care too much about their looks, and it takes them just as long if not longer than a woman to get ready. its about the closest you can get to being gay, without being gay (if that makes sense)

Old 12-04-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
That's the thing, I don't have a rugged look at all. I basically have a manikin body. I can fit into those trendy suits that you see in the windows pretty well lol.

How so?
Gold chains and bracelets really aren't my thing. I'm not criticising you for wearing them, but I dislike them myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty