Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:48 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times

Advertisements

What's your favorite STORE for cosmetics, Skin Care, Makeup?
Also as for Ulta and Sephora I have both near me but haven't really scoped the out to know if there are differences, or which might be better (if there is any reall difference)

So if you've been to those two...what are your comments?

I confess when I wrote the title I was thinking of specialty store like...
1) Ulta
2) Sephora
3)...or a particular department store: May's Nordtrom, Bloomingdales, Dillards, Neiman Marcus, etc.

But I suppose, to be fair, I'd have to include drug stores too, like:
4) CVS
5) Rite Aid
6) Walgreens
7) Duane Reade, etc

...heck, even
8) Walmart
9) Target

(I'm not listing Kmart...because i just can't imagine THAT is a person favorite place for make up, but you never know)

OR...home shopping channels
1)) QVC or HSN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 11:06 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Melviita. Too bad the Bay Area outpost closed. It was a lovely experience. Very spa like.

Otherwise I guess Target.

Benefit stores are pretty fun, but I am not their target demographic, they don't have many colors to suit my skin tone.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:23 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times
I'll have to see if there's a benefit store near me.
I've been to Ulta and liked it well enough. But Sephora is bigger (I think) so I was wondering if that made it "better" with more brands or whatever.

I really liked Ulta because at the time it wasn't crowded and the clerk could really take time to explain various brands and answer all my many questions. Maybe it's just an uninformed bias, but hen I walk past a Sephora it always looks more "overwhelming" than Ulta... like I wouldn't be able to get the time/help/attention I need. But I'll give it a try. Plus, aren't they a hair more expensive than Ulta?

Old 09-23-2015, 02:02 AM

109 posts, read 91,109 times
I have experience with Lacome, Korean Cosmetic as Skin Food, The Face shop. Maybe Korean's suitable for my skin

Old 09-23-2015, 07:19 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,968 times
Around me, Sephora has the best range of brands...and compared to Ulta, Sephora is generally better kept, ie. looks nicer. Then again, my Sephora store is literally only 1 year old.

However...

The rewards program at Ulta is miles better. You earn points that you can use for actual $$$ off anything. All Sephora has is "point perks" ie. you use your earned points for deluxe sample sizes of products...and that is only for whatever they have at that particular time. So from a rewards perspective, I prefer to purchase from Ulta if they carry the line/product I want.

If Nordstrom was a little closer to me, I'd probably shop at Nordstrom more than Sephora too.

So basically...I like to go in to Sephora to browse and swatch and compare. But then if Ulta carries the product I will go buy at Ulta.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:32 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
#1 Murale, a Canadian chain, owned by the Shoppers pharmacy chain--very nice selection
#2 Sephora, good "trendy" selection and the in-house Sephora cosmetics are decent quality...just a little too adolescent, though, in my opinion

Old 09-23-2015, 11:52 PM

422 posts, read 336,220 times
I like ulta a good range of products, very helpful people and nice inside. They have great benefits to as mentioned above. The last time I was in sephora, the music was so loud,ip I had a headache!

Old 09-24-2015, 11:05 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
Sephora. I don't buy everything from there but they have the best selection. I prefer them over Ulta because they have a better selection and better points system.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:19 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Sephora. Best selection. Well informed staff of varying ages and styles. It's nice to go find a staff person whose makeup and age are more reflective of yours. I mentioned that once to a staff person who was helping me and she mentioned this is a deliberate decision by corporate. Interesting.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:01 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I prefer Sephora to Ulta, though Ulta tends to have better sales and deals. Forget it if I have a question about products, though. When I was planning makeup for my brother's wedding, I asked the staff at Sephora for foundation help and the woman I spoke with was quick to match me with a very affordable foundation and then loaded me up with free samples. Sephora has better skincare (masks, etc) options as well.

For general skincare, I live by Lush's products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty