U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 12:59 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,077,835 times

Advertisements

This is my highest dress heel, measuring a perilously towering 1.5 inches. It's all I've needed in any dressy situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Any women who don't own a pair of high heels at all?-shoe.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 01:13 PM

59,714 posts, read 57,202,309 times
I don't wear high heels. I am 6'1" tall. I did sometimes wear heels in my younger days, but it didn't really work out well, and now that I'm older and not as stupid as I was then I have no need to feel awkward and put myself out there for ridicule. If I have to go somewhere dressed up, I wear dressy flats.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:12 PM

994 posts, read 1,311,523 times
I didn't own high heels until this year, even though I've always loved them. I'm 5'10, and so I thought I'd look ridiculous if I wore high heels + I'd be taller than most men. Then I remembered that I love to stand out, and so now I'll pair them with my "little black dresses" (that are actually various colors) on nights out. You'd be surprised by how not-intimidated many men are by a tall, tall woman.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:18 PM

2,642 posts, read 3,654,846 times
I have none. It is hard for me to believe that people wear them but they do. I think the very high heels look stupid and women trying to walk in them look stupider. Not to say the women themselves are stupid, just probably more the type to bow to peer pressure.

Eventually in more enlightened times very high heels will be regarded the same way we regard women binding their feet in Asia or corsets that were so tight that they damaged the internal organs, barbaric.

I guess a modest heel doesn't look so bad but men wear them also on boots so it isn't just a women thing. I personally prefer no heel at all.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:22 PM

12,347 posts, read 20,952,977 times
I don't have high heels. I don't do heels at all. I've never liked how I felt when I wore them -- all off kilter. There is a learning process to wearing them.

About the time I would have started wearing them in earnest, I had a major foot issue and the podiatrist told me that I was already forming a bunion, and to stay from heels, because they would only make it worse. I was 18 or 19.

So I wore a 1 1/2 inch heel for my wedding (1983), and for every formal event past that -- that was the highest I'd go. When I started working, I was on my feet and running all day -- I went to flats. That was 1983, too.

My favorite shoes? One year Keds made lace ones, and I bought them in black and tan -- and I wore those things OUT. I peeled the Keds sticker off the back, and no one in the bank ever suspected I was wearing sneakers.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:28 PM

27,330 posts, read 30,540,296 times
I like them. I think they are pretty. Sometimes. I am always on the lookout for great dress flats though!

My sister retired all of hers by age 20 or so. She doesn't have any now.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:29 PM

14,790 posts, read 14,414,243 times
I have a few pairs but will only wear them when necessary, to weddings, formal events or when I go to the races etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
I don't own any, to me it's pointless for tall women to wear them. I think they are mainly for short girls to make up for short comings (no pun intended lol). I'm 5'7' and have tried on heels before and felt so silly, I feel like Godzilla about to stomp on the city. If your short yeah you are gonna need em, tall....not so much so. Besides i'm not a high heel person give me my flip flops 365 and i'm happy. In fact I have exactly 3 types of shoes 1 pair of running shoes (which have been on my feet once in six months) 1 pair of UGG boots which haven't even been wore and I've had them a year and at least 50 + pair of flip flops which I wear on a daily basis. That's it, that is what my shoes consist of.
at 5"2.5 I get by ...lol

Old 12-05-2013, 04:25 PM

2,454 posts, read 2,735,249 times
It's interesting that most of us who wore them when they were younger choose not to do so now. I love shoes and have many pairs but I found to my dismay that an attractive standing shoe rack that I purchased to store them didn't work. Why? My shoes had no heels to hook over the round metal bars and they slid right off! The racks aren't made for flats or wedges.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:44 PM

37,223 posts, read 43,464,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
That other thread (which is really quite ridiculous) on whether women have to wear heels to be considered "real women" nonetheless leads me to this question.

Is it possible to get by without wearing heels anywhere, work, office, play, outside, special occasion etc., if you are a woman and simply rely on other shoes, or do you think it is a "must" in certain settings?

Do you know anyone actually like this? I don't think I've personally known any women who say they literally never wear heels. Most at least plop on a pair for a wedding or special event like that even if the shoe only gets to see the light of day once in a blue moon, only to go back in the box for another year or two.

Unless, perhaps you're a woman living in a village in some part of the world, somewhere that isn't exposed to "western countries'" fashion (does that exist still?), most women would find it rather hard to get away from the pressure to wear them, right? Do you know any resisters?
I have two pairs, neither extremely high, and I seldom wear them. I think I last wore one of the two pairs, a silver strappy sandal with probably a two-inch heel, to a wedding in April. Wait, no, I wore then one time after that, to the Navy Ball in October. Which was actually the formal occasion that was the deciding factor in terms of my decision to wear flats for my own wedding in Jan. My feet won't show, and there is just no way I'm going to tolerate even an ounce of physical discomfort on my wedding day, sorry! I'm already pretty tall, so heels are seldom a "must," and most of my outfits where one might wear heels look just as good with a boot, anyway.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:42 PM

4,105 posts, read 9,361,226 times
I don't but I live in rural AZ, I do have 3 pairs of cowgirl boots (with heels) :-D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty