U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 05:57 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,705,380 times

Advertisements

I have one pair of boots with heels, a couple of dressy flat shoes and boots and lots of casual-type or athletic shoes....haven't owned high heels since...2004 or so. One reason (a shallow one at that) up until a year ago I was dating a man who wasn't much taller than me. Neither of us were really comfortable with me being the taller one so I got out of the habit.

Besides it's really rare to find truly comfortable high heels!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 07:11 PM

10,680 posts, read 5,105,939 times
I spend most of my time at home, with no shoes on at all.
I have a pair of mules that are fuzzy slippers with a wedge heel, and they're comfy (for indoor wear only).
I have a pair of high heels, but I only wear them for a couple hours every couple months-
just to retain the ability to walk in them, which I want to be able to do because I like how they make my feet look.
Otherwise (99% of the time), I wear sneakers or boots-they're a practical necessity here in the wintry climes.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:26 PM

21,300 posts, read 12,778,974 times
I love my heels and now that i am older they are thicker heels or with a heavy base to them. IF i could wear the spikes i would!

Old 12-05-2013, 08:30 PM

21,300 posts, read 12,778,974 times
for real ones LOL

Old 12-05-2013, 08:35 PM

8,841 posts, read 12,606,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Who invented high heels? A man. Enuff said.
a man, for men in the military... then a woman started the trend by adopting it for herself...

Who invented high heels? - Yahoo Answers

Old 12-05-2013, 09:41 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,163,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
That other thread (which is really quite ridiculous) on whether women have to wear heels to be considered "real women" nonetheless leads me to this question.

Is it possible to get by without wearing heels anywhere, work, office, play, outside, special occasion etc., if you are a woman and simply rely on other shoes, or do you think it is a "must" in certain settings?

Do you know anyone actually like this? I don't think I've personally known any women who say they literally never wear heels. Most at least plop on a pair for a wedding or special event like that even if the shoe only gets to see the light of day once in a blue moon, only to go back in the box for another year or two.

Unless, perhaps you're a woman living in a village in some part of the world, somewhere that isn't exposed to "western countries'" fashion (does that exist still?), most women would find it rather hard to get away from the pressure to wear them, right? Do you know any resisters?
I'm in my early 30's and I have never owned a pair of thin high heel shoes. My "heels" are the thicker ones which are about only about an inch high. I'm all about comfort for shoes. If they are not comfortable, I don't want to wear them. Walking in a high heel just doesn't look comfortable at all.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:16 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,345,465 times
When I was younger, I worked in several offices where women were required to wear dresses/skirts, nylons, and pumps. Today, "Business Casual" has replaced a lot of those dress codes.

I'm older, as well. I can no longer wear high heels and donated my last pair to charity about ten years ago.

Yes, they were fun in my 20s. I owned a pair of platform sandals during the disco era and wore them dancing. My balance must've been a lot better. Today, I'd fall on my tush.

I don't miss them as they really weren't that comfortable. Today, I'm generally bare footed or in hiking boots or decent running shoes with good support.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:26 PM

13,309 posts, read 15,841,175 times
I don't. I am not going to ruin my feet by squeezing my toes into too small a space and walking with my arches at an unnatural angle. Nope. When I dress up, I wear flats. I'm only 5'1", so I could use the boost. But it's just not worth it. No heels for me.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:29 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,561,673 times
I don't own high heels. Just seeing high heels makes me cringe.

I did wear them but rarely when I was in my teens and 20's. I wish I had been smarter because I probably looked extremely stupid. What the hell was I thinking?

They are one of worst inventions ever.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:51 PM

37,222 posts, read 43,424,828 times
May I never work somewhere where the words "nylons" and "pumps" are the vernacular of the dress code. Ditto "blouses" and "slacks."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty