U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 08:32 AM

44,208 posts, read 54,376,092 times

Advertisements

Yes. I refuse to carry a purse. Just a wallet with a key ring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 08:38 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,131,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It seems women's wallets are big, to be kept in a handbag, rather than men's wallets which go in their pants pocket.
I don't see most young women carrying hand bags anymore, and purses seem to be a thing of the past.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:56 AM

2,384 posts, read 6,009,976 times
all women do

Old 12-06-2013, 09:45 AM

5,094 posts, read 4,424,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
I use small "wristlets", so I can carry them instead of a purse or in my purse like a wallet.

My wife carries a purple one from LV. She carries it in her purse or by itself depending on the outfit or occasion.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:13 AM

8 posts, read 16,672 times
I carry a wallet with me in my art bag (basically a large cloth purse I can fit my sketchbook, pencils, and pens in). I typically bring my art bag with me everywhere, but if I leave it behind I put my wallet in my pocket, and my smartphone on a belt clip or in another pocket.

Anyway, she may have a use for the wallet you made.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:45 PM

13,244 posts, read 8,121,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
I don't see most young women carrying hand bags anymore, and purses seem to be a thing of the past.
What? Purses aren't a thing of the past. While there are some women who don't use them, a majority of women still do. And young women defiantly do. Just Google the name of any young woman in Hollywood and they'll be carrying a purse when out in public.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:41 PM

2,574 posts, read 4,804,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yes. But wallet shopping is very very difficult. It took me about 5 years to find a replacement to my favorite wallet. Some people like thin, some people like pocketable, some people want to hold 15 cards, other people go minimalist.

I would never buy a wallet for someone. to many variables for happiness.
Ditto. I use one, but am very picky. In fact, I just found out that I can still buy online the one I'm using now, which I haven't seen in a store for several years, and am planning to buy another one or two, even though I don't quite need a new one yet.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:51 PM

27,330 posts, read 30,600,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
I don't know what planet that is on. I see most women over 18 with a purse. Maybe not the 12 year olds.....but after that. Maybe 3% of the women I know don't use a purse.

Personally, I have a "big wallet" with all my cards/stuff, it is continental style, and it goes in my day time purse or a bigger purse. But If I am carrying a small purse, after years of hunting down small wallets and rejecting them, I ended up with a Coach ID wristlet that is perfect. It has an ID slot, a zip pocket and 2 card slots so I can keep my ID, debit card, transit card and some cash and a little bit of change. It is pocketable, and fits in basically any evening purse too.

Here is a current one, mine is a cool snake print in a neutral with minimal branding.
Coach :: POPPY ID SKINNY IN MIRROR METALLIC LEATHER

Old 12-06-2013, 01:54 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,654,026 times
A few years ago my one of my friends was putting her groceries in her car and had her purse over her shoulder* - two guys came by in a car and grabbed her purse and drove off. Problem? She was still attached. She wound up with contusions and breaks on her ankles, torso and shoulder.

Because of that, I switched away from purses to a wallet that clips inside my waistband. If I want to carry other girlie stuff like lipstick and all that, I'll carry a purse. But if someone wants it, they are welcome to my makeup kit and brush!

This is the wallet from DesignGo

I have given this for Christmas gifts every year since I discovered it. It is the ONE gift that everyone has always appreciated. This fits the recommendation of police friends who say you should "divide the losses" -- that is, you should not have everything including the kitchen sink in your purse. Not only does carrying a huge purse make you a target, it is bad for your shoulders and it makes you prone to paranoia about your "stuff"... Put ID, cash, credit cards in this wallet, and all your other stuff in your bag.

* Since it's the holidays and we are talking about purses and wallets, may I recommend that when you ladies are putting things in the trunk of your car you follow this protocol: 1) double click to open car, 2) open trunk, 3) click immediately to lock all the other doors (however this works on your vehicle.) 4) Throw your purse either over the back seat or into the trunk, making sure you have not put your keys in your purse!!! I clip my keys onto my belt loop. 5) THEN start putting all those purchases in your trunk. Be safe and develop good habits that will protect you from the wackos out there.

Last edited by R_Cowgirl; 12-06-2013 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 12-06-2013, 02:35 PM

15,532 posts, read 13,981,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
A few years ago my one of my friends was putting her groceries in her car and had her purse over her shoulder* - two guys came by in a car and grabbed her purse and drove off. Problem? She was still attached. She wound up with contusions and breaks on her ankles, torso and shoulder.

Because of that, I switched away from purses to a wallet that clips inside my waistband. If I want to carry other girlie stuff like lipstick and all that, I'll carry a purse. But if someone wants it, they are welcome to my makeup kit and brush!

This is the wallet from DesignGo

I have given this for Christmas gifts every year since I discovered it. It is the ONE gift that everyone has always appreciated. This fits the recommendation of police friends who say you should "divide the losses" -- that is, you should not have everything including the kitchen sink in your purse. Not only does carrying a huge purse make you a target, it is bad for your shoulders and it makes you prone to paranoia about your "stuff"... Put ID, cash, credit cards in this wallet, and all your other stuff in your bag.

* Since it's the holidays and we are talking about purses and wallets, may I recommend that when you ladies are putting things in the trunk of your car you follow this protocol: 1) double click to open car, 2) open trunk, 3) click immediately to lock all the other doors (however this works on your vehicle.) 4) Throw your purse either over the back seat or into the trunk, making sure you have not put your keys in your purse!!! I clip my keys onto my belt loop. 5) THEN start putting all those purchases in your trunk. Be safe and develop good habits that will protect you from the wackos out there.
GREAT ADVICE! ^^^

I always throw my purse in the car.....on the floor of the front seat, passenger side.....and lock the car before I load the trunk. Not only safer but it is easier too!

I also have one of these on my keychain. Started using these over 30 years ago because I worked afternoon turn and liked to stop at the store after work.

I like this model because it can't accidently go off in your pocket or purse and you don't have to fumble with a case. I always buy black ones.....not something I want to call attention to.

Pepper Spray Key Chain - Mace – Streetwise – Pepper Shot

As far as wallets go.....I am extremely picky.....I doubt anyone could buy one for me that I would be happy with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty