U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 09:03 PM

11,249 posts, read 13,254,554 times

Advertisements

Lower/working class men seem more likely to wear an undershirt around the house. It's even better if they are wearing suspenders also. Don't ask why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 10:31 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,786,159 times
I thought it referred to the article of clothing, not those who wore it.

I actually only learned of it relatively recently, maybe 10 years ago?

I always just called it a 'singlet', which is what it's known as here. But apparently Americans are unfamiliar with this term?

Old 12-08-2013, 10:45 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,551,526 times
That's it. I am wearing sleeveless to bed tonight because oddly, I am sweating LIKE CRAZY after working 45 minutes in snow. Need to free up my body a bit. This is very odd. I am usually very cold sensitive, why do I suddenly feel very hot when its cold outside .

Old 12-08-2013, 10:47 PM

22,233 posts, read 14,982,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
These kind of shirts never made sense to me. They leave out one of the most important areas of the shirt: the underarm. Hello!
In warmer climates where a full or even short sleeved undergarment for men is too much it makes perfect sense. Also the original intent was also to have some sort of covering so a man's chest hair would not show if he had the top shirt buttons undone. Also again in warmer climates where a man might want to do away with an undershirt altogether these various "tank" styles functioned much like a woman's slip or camisole; they provided an layer that helped provide "modesty" (nipples and or chest hair showing under a shirt).

Old 12-09-2013, 02:28 PM

23,087 posts, read 25,005,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
That's it. I am wearing sleeveless to bed tonight because oddly, I am sweating LIKE CRAZY after working 45 minutes in snow. Need to free up my body a bit. This is very odd. I am usually very cold sensitive, why do I suddenly feel very hot when its cold outside .
Were you seriously letting slang determine what pajamas you were going to wear?

Old 12-09-2013, 07:58 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,551,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Were you seriously letting slang determine what pajamas you were going to wear?
No, I always wear them to bed in the summer. Usually cover up more during the winter but was burning up yesterday night for some reason. Why would I adjust my PJ's just because of slang. Nobody is going to see me anyways.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:03 PM

319 posts, read 394,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
These kind of shirts never made sense to me. They leave out one of the most important areas of the shirt: the underarm. Hello!
Yep. I never understood them either. Maybe they're a throwback to the days when everyone starched their laundry to within an inch of its life; I imagine they'd protect a man's nipples from the scratchy fabric of a superstarched dress shirt.

Last edited by Sedivec; 12-12-2013 at 03:12 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 03:05 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,647,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedivec View Post
Yep. I never understood them either. Maybe they're a throwback to the days when everyone starched their laundry to within an inch of its life; I imagine they'd protect a man's nipples from the scratchy fabric of a superstarched dress shirt.
Good Heavens! You're clearly not male...

Old 12-12-2013, 03:22 PM

319 posts, read 394,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
In warmer climates where a full or even short sleeved undergarment for men is too much it makes perfect sense. Also the original intent was also to have some sort of covering so a man's chest hair would not show if he had the top shirt buttons undone. Also again in warmer climates where a man might want to do away with an undershirt altogether these various "tank" styles functioned much like a woman's slip or camisole; they provided an layer that helped provide "modesty" (nipples and or chest hair showing under a shirt).
I should have read the rest of the thread before responding to OzzyRules myself. This post clears things right up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Good Heavens! You're clearly not male...
Actually, I am... I just have very sensitive skin!

Old 12-29-2013, 06:43 AM

4 posts, read 7,114 times
Athletic undershirts (aka a-shirts or wifebeaters) are the type that I wear under my dress shirts and casual shirts, and I am a white collar professional. So, the stereotype of who wears them does not always apply. The soft cotton feels much better against my skin than the shirt fabric. Plus, they provide enough coverage without binding under the arms like a t-shirt (crew or v-neck). Like Adi, I also enjoy wearing an a-shirt to sleep in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or