Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 05:27 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times

Advertisements

My name is Michael for example, and I absolutely hate it when people insist on calling me Mike. I'm tempted to correct people but I don't want to make a scene or be a jerk. Michael is a respectable name, Mike sounds like a douchebag or trash name to me.

I'm sure it's a lot worse for a lot of people. Imagine being named Richard and people insisting you answer to Dick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 06:02 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
My name is Michael for example, and I absolutely hate it when people insist on calling me Mike. I'm tempted to correct people but I don't want to make a scene or be a jerk.
Then the nickname is NOT being "forced" on you... you allow it!

And what does this have to do with fashion & Beauty?

Old 11-21-2013, 08:19 PM

347 posts, read 491,861 times
I know what you are saying but we should not be hasty to jump the gun.

It would be like having a long name and people shortening it to make it easy for them, but you don't want to correct them.

I can see how this would bother anyone.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:25 AM

645 posts, read 1,276,056 times
When a plant closing and divorce forced me into the ghetto, I'd tell the local Mexicans my Christian name in Spanish, but they just kept calling me bolillo, gabacho, or guero. Since I thought there was a language barrier, I'd repeat my name only to be called bolillo again and again. Eventually when they asked me my name, I'd just say bolillo. It usually got a lot of laughs.

Cheers,
bolillo

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 11-22-2013 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here

Old 11-22-2013, 10:43 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
My name is Michael for example, and I absolutely hate it when people insist on calling me Mike. I'm tempted to correct people but I don't want to make a scene or be a jerk. Michael is a respectable name, Mike sounds like a douchebag or trash name to me.

I'm sure it's a lot worse for a lot of people. Imagine being named Richard and people insisting you answer to Dick!
I've dated a few Michaels, never once did I call them Mike, just didn't seem to fit, but ,I have had guy friends that introduced themselves as Mike and so that was how I would referred to those few. I definitely get your point, especially after years of having my own name shortened to suit other people comfort in how they just seemed to automatically cut my name short to suit them. In my older age, I finally had enough and just shortened my name to what I didn't mind as to what I disliked being called. To be honest, the shortened name has become more of a nuisance for a variety of reasons even though it was one that some people often called me as well. Now it really doesn't matter, just as long as they don't call me. F #*&#%@!

Old 11-23-2013, 11:34 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:

No one would...they might call you Rich though....it's just a shortened version of your actual name.
Sometimes after people have known you for awhile they do that.
By then they would know if you're a Mike or a Michael, and what you prefer to be called.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:36 AM

45,391 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Oh the 1st World problems we have.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:41 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Come on North Beach Person...if you want a more serious thread, perhaps on a third world problem..start one.
"problem" is open to interpretation" is it not?

Old 11-23-2013, 12:24 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
To the OP: The problem is that MOST Michaels do opt to be called Mike, so most people naturally assume that you would, too. So just gentle corrections is what you should do without getting mad at them.

But you're not alone. I have a nephew who goes by Robert, never Bob. I know a Matthew who corrects when people say Matt.

But I don't consider this as 'nicknames' so much as short-cuts. To me nicknames are totally different, often quirky names, like Buster or Ernie (I know a guy named Christian who goes by Ernie only... no clue why).

I've had many nicknames since my teen years and very few of them offended me (although I just HATED it when my brother called me Lemon Chest when I was an adolescent ~ not sure that even counts). One of my friends calls me Mare and I rather like it.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:

I am totally with you.

My husband's name is Michael, and I think it is one of the most beautiful names on this earth. And talk about staying power! It's been popular for centuries - because it's beautiful and has a beautiful meaning and history.

When I met him, I immediately asked him if I could call him Michael instead of Mike (I think he introduced himself as Mike but his business card said Michael). He smiled from ear to ear and said, "I would really like that - even though the only other person who calls me that is my mother!" So Michael it was - and still is ten years later, and he definitely lives up to the class and beauty of that name.

My real name is Melanie. All my life I've had to fight people who try to call me "Mel" and even "Melly." SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! That is NOT my damn name and if I want to be called that, I'll let you know. I HATE those nicknames and I love my full name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty