U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 09:55 PM

2,574 posts, read 4,796,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
To me the seem pretty nerdy and out dated but I guess they are making a come back, I guess some one some where esp down south for some reason considers them cool.
I felt that way about big black plastic eyeglasses but the hipsters have made those cool, again, too.

One of the benefits of getting older and realizing how silly it is to worry so much about such an inconsequential thing as clothing styles. I observe, and sometimes I'm amused, but I never "care."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 11:34 PM

8,874 posts, read 13,905,490 times
Styles come and go. Hemlines are up, hemlines are down. Pants are loose, pants are tight. Lapels are wide, lapels are narrow. Different types of styles are in at different times. The millennials haven't experienced bow ties yet, so it was inevitable. What difference does it make? If you are secure in yourself and develop a personal style, you can wear things even when they're supposedly out (as in Dr. Who, above).

Even phones have fashion changes. They were big, they got so tiny it was silly, now they're big again.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:38 AM

4,959 posts, read 10,708,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post
Dr. Who.
Ha! That's the first thing that came to mind when I read the title of this thread! And don't forget, Fezzes are cool too!

Old 12-10-2013, 08:46 AM

19,116 posts, read 27,184,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Ha! That's the first thing that came to mind when I read the title of this thread! And don't forget, Fezzes are cool too!
Exactly

In the 50th Anniversary special, when The Doctor was walking through the 'artifact room' and points and gasps at the fez on display, my bf laughed because apparently I make the same expression when I see something I like. Now, he calls it my 'Doctor face'.

Regardless, I know plenty of people who wear bowties and a friend of mine even had a blog called '365 days of bowties' that chronicled his adventures in neckwear. I love bowties on guys but my dude won't wear one because he says it isn't conservative enough

Old 12-10-2013, 09:15 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,306 posts, read 2,261,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.BadGuy View Post
Anything anyone under 30 currently does is sure to anger SOMEONE on this forum.

When I moved to NYC I met this guy who makes bespoke bowties. He started the business in Chicago and did so well that he moved out here. He's a mid-late 30s Black guy with dreadlocks and wears the ties himself so it seems this so-called trend is more popular than the OP would like it to be.
This!
What is wrong with bowties. It is the trend right now. Like what somebody else said, we never experienced wearing bowties when we were young. And we love to!
They are neat!

Some people are just so uptight. They forget for whatever they displease to see on others, there will be others who also judge them.
I can also say that "What is wrong with those old people with Birkenstock or plain white sneakers.." or whatever other insults I can throw. But I know everybody is different and was born in different social environments, upbringing and eras.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:16 AM

12,346 posts, read 17,228,996 times
I live in Boston and many of my coworkers are bringing back the bowtie. They'd never wear a tie (not that type of office) but have a bowtie for every occasion.

And this Generation Y woman approves. But would approve more if they were secretly Matt Smith.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:28 AM

14,461 posts, read 24,627,079 times
In my limited experience, the ONLY people who really wore bow ties were academics, physicians, and attorneys, hardly the "redneck" image that some people had.

This summer, my nephew had an internship in the Canadian Parliament. He wore a bow tie every day. He told me that within a week, nearly everyone knew who he was amongst all the others.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:27 AM

811 posts, read 1,071,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And lets not use stereotypes to define an entire region of the country. Southern gentlemen who wear bow ties are not hillbillies.
That's one of the traits of a hillbilly suit.

White and other bright colours, with even more colourful bowties, and badly fitted.

Gentlemen have nothing to do with suits. A guy can look like a hobo and have a gentle/amicable nature.

Men can wear colourful blazers. What differentiates the hillbilly from the city dude is that normal men do not match the pants with the same colour I used to live in Charlotte, NC working for a big bank and have seen this awful sense of clothing for many years.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:12 PM

2,742 posts, read 4,576,780 times
Rednecks? Really? Never even heard of that.

It was cool like 3-4 years ago in the BK, and now the rest of the country is aspiring...

If you disagree, just check this.
BowTie Cause

Old 12-10-2013, 02:20 PM

13,210 posts, read 8,079,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
What differentiates the hillbilly from the city dude is that normal men do not match the pants with the same colour
Match their pants to the same color as what? Their jacket? Its called a suit. Most suits have pants that match the jacket. Are you really going to say that the "city dude" (whatever that means. They have cities in the South, its not some crazy idea that is only in the Northeast) doesn't wear a matching suit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty