Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 09:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Naturally attractive, IMO, not pretty in a heavily made up, artificial way. Not a dazzling beauty, but what my grandmother would have called "a handsome woman." Just a classy look.

The short, haircut isn't my favorite on anyone, but it also was among what was in style when she was a young woman and mother...for better or worse, that was an era of fairly helmet-y, sever, "power" hair for women...especially women wanting to project an image of stability (wild child big perms were also popular, obviously, but not really the look a royal would be going for). Others have said, but conservative dress goes with being part of the royal family. Just a social/class structure thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 10:04 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Diana had huge big blue eyes, fair skin with a good deal of natural "color" - the classic "English rose" - was quite photogenic, was tall and slender, and as a very young woman, had a very appealing shy quality about her which brought out many people's protective instincts. Her fashion sense changed radically over the years - when she was first married, she was fond of the rather frilly, girlish, and nostalgically romantic Laura Ashley look, with small floral prints, ruffles, fullish below-the-knee skirts and fitted bodices and especially, nipped-in, fitted waists being consistent and recurrent elements. She was a "Sloan Ranger", and "the Diana look" greatly influenced fashion for five or so years.

Diana also wore flats most of the time, to help minimize her height as compared with Charles' average stature. Her blonde hair was worn fairly short, but was bouffant and full, a style which many other young women attempted more or less successfully, in imitation of Diana.

Diana wore jewels very well - initially on loan from the royal collection but later gifts from various heads of state and other admirers - and was always meticulously groomed. Later in her life, she became very conscientious about the benefits of nutritious diet and exercise, and after a bout with bulimia during the trying years of her marriage, Diana became very fit and rather muscular.

Around this same time (after her separation from Prince Charles), Diana's style changed to a much more mature, tailored, fitted look, and her hairstyle, footwear, and make-up also changed: her hair was shorter and less full and fluffy in appearance, her makeup ranged from minimal when off-duty to dramatic on social and professional occasions, while very high heels emphasized Diana's 5'10". Her clothing demonstrated the most change, however - very short, sleek evening dresses with no frills whatsoever became her mainstay, while her legs were usually bare, her jewelry less fussy, and her everyday attire became much more tailored and no-nonsense.

The fairy tale princess was long gone by then, and her changed appearance symbolized and illustrated the changes in Diana's life.

So was Diana a beauty? While she was not a classic beauty - her slightly irregular features precluded that (I don't think she ever had a nose job, btw - her "generous" nose was naturally a little skewed to one side) - she had remarkable charisma, warmth and a self-deprecating charm which strongly appealed to almost everyone she encountered, and she learned to use her assets remarkably well. Her best feature, her eyes, were large, clear blue, expressive, and unforgettable - enhanced with skillful make-up, they seemed to truly be the "mirrors of the soul", accurately or not only Diana might have known...

So - while Diana was not a classic beauty physically, her unique appearance, along with her skill at connecting with other people during brief encounters, certainly would place her well up in the ranks of both historic and contemporary "beauties". Diana's appearance reflected both her actual personality, and the personality she wanted others to perceive, which were not always the same thing by any means, sadly.

But yes, she was beautiful. Unquestionably.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,599 times
I thought she was attractive. I thought she attempted to bring a modern flair to her style, say more than QE2 ever has.

As has already been mentioned she was expected to dress conservatively...most of the time she looked very nice, but she had a few duds in her repertoire, if I recall.

I think it must be hard to style someone who is expected to have such rigid requirements for dress. I'm sure Kate Middleton finds it somewhat difficult to dress within a narrow spectrum of acceptable choices. I like what Kate wears most of the time though.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:11 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,438 times
I think Diana was very glamorous, feminine and had exceptional instincts when it came to style. Her glamour was different from the order of the American celebrity or the population of American women who are considered highly attractive by virtue of heavy makeup and flashy clothes. Her style was more classic and sophisticated.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I always thought Diana was a natural beauty. Not only that, she had charisma,as well as an appealing sort of humility.

And I don't believe she had a nose job by the way.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:06 AM

2,017 posts, read 3,191,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon;32598299[B
]I always thought Diana was a natural beauty. Not only that, she had charisma,as well as an appealing sort of humility.[/b]

And I don't believe she had a nose job by the way.
I totally agree with this, except never heard about a nose job until now. I thought she became even more attractive as she matured and came into her own during her last few years.

Last edited by smpliving; 12-13-2013 at 10:15 AM..

Old 12-13-2013, 10:42 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
She was definitely elegant and beautiful compared to her hubby.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:35 PM

331 posts, read 592,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
She was definitely elegant and beautiful compared to her hubby.
Very True.

And at a "model-like" 5' 10" height, clothes usually looked good on her.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:50 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
She was very attractive and classy. I once met her at a biker bar in Daytona Beach and while she had a little bit too much to drink and was swearing like a sailor, she had an air about her that made her stand out from the other leather clad women. She was wearing her crown thingy too so I know it was her.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:55 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
First off all respect to her and what she did in her life and may she RIP.

Now to the point of this thread. I just came across a clip involving her on youtube.
In the past I never found her physically attractive at all.

Its clear to me why this is. 1) short hair and the hair styles in general, would have looked far better with long hair. 2) Conservative clothing
3) Unfeminine clothing and physical aspects

I think if these things had been different she actually would have been attractive. She had the core ability to be so.

What are your thoughts?

Princess Diana Tribute-Candle in the Wind - YouTube
She was too flat-chested and too tall (her posture sometimes would tell about her insecurities.)
She didn't have any particularly beautiful eyes and she liked to wear the matronly style of clothing, not to mention her hair style that was sooo... seventies?
On another hand her facial features were well-proportioned, those official dresses and jewelry looked quite appropriate, ( which served the purpose I suppose) so it was possible to create an image of something "extraordinary" of something quite mediocre ( talking strictly about her looks.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty