Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 01:19 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times

Advertisements

Ok, So I thought I'll buy a jacket that she can use for 3 seasons out here in the North East.... so I went to North Face and looked at the 3 in 1 triclimate jackets....

Free Shipping | 3 in 1 Triclimate Jackets For Women | The North Face®

Why are there so many ?
Personally I think that the Kira 2.0 would be the best for her, but I wanted to get your opinions before I get poor.

Also, if I were looking at knee length jackets/downs, do you have any recommendations that will keep her warm (top priority) and not break my bank ?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 02:40 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
You're buying someone a coat for a gift? With the kind of questions you're asking, you'd probably be better off telling whoever this woman is that you'd like to buy her a nice, warm coat, but you need her help choosing. It'd be a shame to drop a bunch of money on something she doesn't like and will never wear.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:10 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You're buying someone a coat for a gift? With the kind of questions you're asking, you'd probably be better off telling whoever this woman is that you'd like to buy her a nice, warm coat, but you need her help choosing. It'd be a shame to drop a bunch of money on something she doesn't like and will never wear.
I understand where you are coming from.
Let me be more specific, I want to get opinions on which one of these triclimates is the warmest (keeping it simple) and then go from there, without having to research whats does a HyVent® / lining jacket: 50D 76 g/m² mean.... and how does that compare with HyVent® 2L—100% polyester twill / outer vest lining: taffeta, brushed tricot... if you know what I mean.
I'm not that good with the technical stuff.

I know she might not like it, but just in case she does (for whatever reason she want to keep it for), its an additional bonus that it will also keep her warm, hope that makes sense.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:15 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
How would random internet people know any of that? That kind of info is probably somewhere on the North Face website, or you could call or email their customer service.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:38 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I understand where you are coming from.
Let me be more specific, I want to get opinions on which one of these triclimates is the warmest (keeping it simple) and then go from there, without having to research whats does a HyVent® / lining jacket: 50D 76 g/m² mean.... and how does that compare with HyVent® 2L—100% polyester twill / outer vest lining: taffeta, brushed tricot... if you know what I mean.
I'm not that good with the technical stuff.
Do you have a North Face store near you? If so it would probably be best to just go to one of the stores and ask there. They're going to be the most knowledgeable about the brand and would probably be able to answer your questions.

I doubt there is a big difference between the different coats besides the design and maybe how many pockets they have. They're probably all going to be pretty warm and unless your friend is going to be traveling to the arctic they're all going to fit her needs of dealing with the cold weather.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:59 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,383 times
You have great taste! I will tell you I have had a system similar to this from North Face that was purchased in the 80's and it is still functional so this is money well spent. I understand your confusion because the site gives information but not really great comparisons. The suggestion to call CS is a great one because they can give you some insight that is not on the web. It is important for you to know how your gf will use this. Does she ski? If so you mentioned the longer coat and that would be functional for skiing. I myself like a little longer coat - enough to sit on it if necessary but that is just me. If this is for everyday wear, what is her style? If she wears skirts or dress pants, would she wear a shorter jacket with them? If not, the longer coat would be the right choice. Good luck to you and give CS a call.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:08 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Sorry, I have a North Face coat for skiing, fine, but to stay warm, in cold winter weather, Lands End, I have the stadium squall, and the down commuter coat.
Women's Down Commuter Long Coat from Lands' End

Forget about the North Face on a glacier! Not!

Old 12-13-2013, 02:17 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times
The website has a chat feature, I'd suggest you ask them what all that stuff means.

Honestly, I have one and I am extremely picky about my jackets. I don't like fleece because it's harder to get on with long-sleeves. I also have broad shoulders so a lot of those jackets just don't fit me right. I tried on all of TNF's and Columbia's tri-climate jackets and only one fit me right, ONE! You'd think they're all cut somewhat the same, but they're not...at all. Obviously, I purchased that one, haha.

Again, use the chat feature, ask them what the HyVent is and all that, which ones are warmer, etc. Going to a store would be better. Bringing her favorite jacket with you would even be better (to get sizing right).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty